Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

Easter Tarta Disaster Averted ????

witsendwv

Year of past OR future Camino
(2015)
1617479936426.png 1617479994239.png

We renovated our kitchen several years ago, and since I do not bake often I am still getting used to the very hot French made oven that we purchased. About 10 minutes into the baking process I realized that it was not sugar caramelizing nicely that I was smelling. 😢 We quickly covered our Easter dessert with foil and continued cooking, hoping for the best. I used my husbands jamonera to slice off the burned top, and with a little extra powdered sugar I have high hopes for tomorrow. Since we are not having any guests it doesn't have to look pretty, just taste good. 🤞 Happy Easter to all, and prayers for a soon to be Buen Camino. Ultreia. 🙂

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
My baking skills are limited. A corporal in the Army Catering Corps, during my brief service, explained to me in a rhyming couplet (suitable edited to evade moderation):

"If it's brown, it's cooked; if it's black it's [overcooked, obviously]"

witsendwv

(2015)
It definitely was overcooked to say the least, but we were able to salvage the tarta by slicing off the top 1/2 inch and covering it with more powdered sugar than we typically use. Since it is just the two of us for Easter dinner, a little vanilla ice cream with make it all OK. I usually defer to others for baking, and stick to stews and roasts, but every now and again that sweet tooth needs some satisfaction. :)

Kanga

Staff member
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
I have a very close relationship with the timer on my smartphone. It is my most treasured kitchen tool. All I have to do is say "Hey, Siri, turn the timer on for .... minutes". No more burnt cakes.

Ahhh, the remembrance of kitchen disasters past. Worst/best occasion was a chocolate cheese cake I made and left to cool on our kitchen table. I was feeling like a flu bug had grabbed my body, so went to lie down for a bit. My wife walked into the kitchen a few minutes later to see our hound with both paws on the table and just beginning to lick the top of the cheesecake. A severe scolding and ruckus ensued with the mutt banished to the back yard. My wife managed to carve a perfect small circle in the top of the cake, eradicating all indication of doggie damage. Later, I filled the top with chocolate creme icing and served it to our family. No one even noticed the "extra icing" filling the middle of the cake.
Note: no more cheesecake making and I'm 45 lbs lighter... to my family's disappointment and disgust. Occasional pointed remarks (and hints) about chocolate chip chiffon cake, chocolate cheese cake, etc... go unheeded by this righteous convert to healthy eating.
There are no kitchen disasters... just unimaginative chefs. Bon appétit!

Joyeuses Paques and Buen Camino!

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

witsendwv

(2015)
I have a very close relationship with the timer on my smartphone. It is my most treasured kitchen tool. All I have to do is say "Hey, Siri, turn the timer on for .... minutes". No more burnt cakes.
I don't have Siri or Alexa, and there is no cell phone service at my house. We were using a simple kitchen timer; that was only half way through the time we had set. I knew I should have checked sooner, but I don't like to open the oven door. We’ll continue to perfect. Yum. :)

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads