• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easter Travel Question

dfunghi

Time of past OR future Camino
Future (2019) Portuguese.
I am planning my first attempt at a Camino walk for next Spring (2019). I have wanted to do this for a very long time and am finally going to try.

In looking at my chosen dates and a calendar I notice my date of arrival in Santiago is quite close to Easter. I plan to leave first week of April from Porto and spend 15 -20 days (it may go quicker but want to plan for a slow, steady pace) sending me to SDC right about Good Friday! Should I have concern about accommodations along the way at that time? My plan is to stay in hotels as little as possible and stick to "walker" accommodations.

I can move my dates a week or two in either direction but fear the earlier in March I go the more likely to have winter weather hanging on.

TIA,
David

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No. You will not have a problem I have been in Leon and Astorga during the week. They were busy and festive, but accommodations were not a problem.
I will presume the CP will be similar to the CF route? Thanks for the reply. My pilgrimage is more of personal and spiritual in my own way journey. I realize many (most?) pilgrims (walkers) may have a more "religious" desire for the pilgrimage. That is why I wondered if Easter was a particularly busy time.

I have been in Cordoba and Caceres during festival events, and yes, accommodation was a problem, even in the neighbouring towns. I think it is great to be on the Camino during Easter week and during festivals, but I would do it with some awareness of the fact that many Spaniards travel within their own country.

If it were me, I would make my best guess for arrival date in Santiago during Easter week, and I would book a place on booking.com that can be cancelled up to a day or 2 before arrival. There is no harm in booking that now, for the Good Friday-Easter weekend. Then as the time gets close, you can always cancel if your plans change, being aware that alternatives may or may not be plentiful. If you are going too fast and approaching Santiago too early, then slow down!

I don't know the Camino Portuguese, so I can't speak about the accommodations along the route.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am planning my first attempt at a Camino walk for next Spring (2019). I have wanted to do this for a very long time and am finally going to try.

In looking at my chosen dates and a calendar I notice my date of arrival in Santiago is quite close to Easter. I plan to leave first week of April from Porto and spend 15 -20 days (it may go quicker but want to plan for a slow, steady pace) sending me to SDC right about Good Friday! Should I have concern about accommodations along the way at that time? My plan is to stay in hotels as little as possible and stick to "walker" accommodations.

I can move my dates a week or two in either direction but fear the earlier in March I go the more likely to have winter weather hanging on.

TIA,
David
We walked from Porto to Santiago over holy week in 2016. To my surprise, we had no trouble finding albergues and cafes open, even on Easter Sunday. We did not book ahead, except for Casa da Fernanda, we called the afternoon before to ask if we could stay, she had plenty of room.

TIA,
David

I'm tentatively planning the CP from Porto (Coastal Route) starting around Easter so was thinking the same thing.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back