• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easter Triduum on the Camino

kelleymac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017, April 2019.
My son (13 yo) and I will be walking from Burgos to Santiago de Compostella , beginning in late March. We are practicing Roman Catholics and observe the triduum (Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Vigil). Are there any specific wonderful places that we should try to make so that we can join the community for mass, observances, processions? Do the spanish celebrate the Easter Vigil mass?

thanks,

Kate

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do the spanish celebrate the Easter Vigil mass?

BIG YES! As well as the whole triduum. Bigger places like Burgos or Leon come to mind for processions, but an Easter vigil in a small village, with churros and hot chocolate afterwards, is equally moving as you really feel part of the local parish for that day. And the people in the village will be equally delighted having pilgrims taking part! Buen Camino, SY

I walked a part of the Via Dolorosa with the people of Belorado on Good Friday in 2011. Very moving to participate in this and celebrate with a small community.
Last year I was in Santiago d eCompostela during Holy Week and this was moving too. Processions are on much bigger scale of course.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have responsibilities here at my parish during Lent and especially Holy Week. I start my Camino on April 6th. Initially, I intended to start again in SJPDP, but as I will join with my pastor a week later, I am most likely starting in Burgos. The entire Easter celebration on Camino is a great time to walk and share the joy with fellow pilgrims and local parishes.
Buen "He is Risen" Camino,

Arn

I was lucky enough to be in Santiago last year for Palm Sunday and got to see the procession from the church of St. Francis to the Cathedral. It was quite a sight! I had to leave the next day though, so I didn't get to see any of the other Holy Week events.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Shalom Kellymac and Greetings from Jerusalem,

Good Friday is a national holiday in Spain, meaning that in addition to religious ceremonies, government offices and most businesses are closed, public transportation is rare, and many take a long weekend during which the Camino makes for a cheap vacation, with good weather, expect many people to be out and walking. Over Good Friday you can also expect quite a bit of boisterous celebration in the larger towns, boisterous meaning the restaurants, cafes and bars will be packed and many empty bottles will be found that next morning many ah...merrymakers will serenade carouse and joyfully enjoy the evening air until quite early-I didn;t sleep a wink in Pamplona. There are large and colorful processions in both Burgos and Leon too large and too massive for my taste. The finest procession in which I participated was in the village of Cirauqui-the albergue allowed us an extra hour before closing (do make sure that you will have some place to return after the midnight vigil, the albergues will be locked!) all the village participated, all the statues in the church were taken for a round through the village lit by detached car headlights the battery tucked under the drapery, "Klansmen" with conical hats, the young girls carrying Mary about-it was quite an occasion. Sahagun also has a nice procession if somewhat bigger, do stop in to see the brick church there. Processions and other events may occur at any time so during Semana Santa so ask what might be happening every evening, tourist information if available, the hospitalier at your albergue or in the church where ever you may be and in the surrounding villages. Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good Friday is a national holiday in Spain, meaning that in addition to religious ceremonies, government offices and most businesses are closed, public transportation is rare, and many take a long weekend during which the Camino makes for a cheap vacation, with good weather, expect many people to be out and walking.

And in Castile and Leon and in Galicia, Maundy Thursday is an autonomic public holiday so be aware you'll have two consecutive public holidays (i.e.: you'll find most business closed those days). Although Holy Saturday isn't a public holiday some business might close to have a long weekend holiday.

P.S.: In León, in addition to the religious processions, there's a non-religious one: the procesión del entierro de Genarín. Those interested (in either attending it or avoiding it or just in getting more info about it) can find more info on this link:

http://www.turismoleon.org/turismo/entierro-de-genarin.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back