• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Easter week, 2016, on the Camino Frances

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
My plans are still uncertain, but I might find myself on the Camino roughly between Sahagun and Ponferrada during Semana Santa, March 20-27, 2016.

Can anyone suggest towns where the Easter processions are special? I expect Leon would be great, but was wondering if some of the smaller towns might also be interesting.

And, how important would it be to book accommodation in advance for that week?

Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'll be in Santiago for Easter :) :) and after Easter, may walk the English Way again.... may Portuguese... I don't know yet. Buen Camino :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My plans are still uncertain, but I might find myself on the Camino roughly between Sahagun and Ponferrada during Semana Santa, March 20-27, 2016.

Can anyone suggest towns where the Easter processions are special? I expect Leon would be great, but was wondering if some of the smaller towns might also be interesting.

And, how important would it be to book accommodation in advance for that week?

Thanks!

I'm picking up right where you leave off - starting in Ponferrada on March 27th :)

Of all the places I have during Semana Santa (including Seville) Navatatte was the most moving for me.

Cirauqui and Naverette for me, people truly envolved in the celebration not a show and not for fun. As to booking. The Camino is often very busy during Semana Santa but not overwhelming. In addition to we long range pilgrims many people begin their summer pilgrimage during an Easter break, many Spanish people enjoying a walk along the Camino, a cheap holiday. Crowded but very friendly and I never experienced problems finding lodging in an albergue. Private rooms, hotels, pensions, casa rurale may be a different story I just don't know.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Cirauqui and Naverette for me, people truly envolved in the celebration not a show and not for fun. As to booking. The Camino is often very busy during Semana Santa but not overwhelming. In addition to we long range pilgrims many people begin their summer pilgrimage during an Easter break, many Spanish people enjoying a walk along the Camino, a cheap holiday. Crowded but very friendly and I never experienced problems finding lodging in an albergue. Private rooms, hotels, pensions, casa rurale may be a different story I just don't know.
PS The procession I witnessed in Leon reminded me more of an American University football homecoming celebration, lots of color lots of noise but lacking somedthing deeper and meaningful.

Hello C,
It isn't important where you are at that time the way will guide you and just experience what it offers :)
I myself have been in semana santa between Burgos and Leon in 2014 and experienced quite simple processions in smaller towns but very lovely, see the pic from the procession in Boadilla del Camino, and yes it gets crowded since many Spanish people are free from work and decide to walk 2 or 3 days a camino route. Again altho it was very crowded people always manage to come up with some extra places to sleep and i never hade to stay a night out before a church :)
So what i try to say is ................dont worry ........just do it.and let things happen its a great experience.
I myself will be walking from 2-4-2016 so afther Semana Santa :)

Buen Camino.........Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
All this is helpful as I will be near Burgos for this years Holy Week. Think I will stick with the smaller villages.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Back