• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easter Week-Booking ahead-Via de la Plata, Merida?

unadara

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 CF then a few more. Plan May 24 Primitivo
Hi Everyone
I have no experience of walking in this busy period. Are Refugio beds kept for Pilgrims only and if there are many Spanish walkers? do they book ahead, can you book ahead for Municipal Alberques. If I am going to be in Merida semana santa should I anticipate and book a bed in advance or take a chance I'll get 1 of only 6 pilgrim beds on offer. I had hoped to see how I managed with the distances first before knowing where I might be on days of week before Easter, any advice welcome?.
Thanks
UnaDara
I leave Seville 9th Apr so have 8 days walking before Holy Thursday.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mérida's important holy week celebrations draw people in from all over and most hotels are likely to be full. In theory you can't book an albergue so you will just have to hope for the best. I think there are 18 beds in Mérida's albergue, so my guess is you'll probably be OK.

You should have a pretty good idea of how many other pilgrims you will be competing with for the beds in Mérida depending on how many others you see en route. I took 7 and 8 days to get from Seville to Mérida on my two previous caminos, which would get you there by around Maundy Thursday. If you're worried, it might be worth staying the previous night in Torremejía, which is only 16km from Mérida, so you'll have a good chance of getting first choice of a bed, as well as plenty of time to enjoy the astonishing glories of the city.

I would say the big waves fo pilgrims will be starting in Seville on Saturday/Sunday 12th/13th april, and there will be another "flood" starting on Good Thursday. Good luck, peregrina, might meet you for a beer some time along the way!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you have funds, I would book something (private albergue or hostal) for that weekend. I think it's unwise to expect there will be something available for all walkins, because if there isn't, you'll be scrambling. On the other hand the semana santa festivities are wonderful!

As Alan said the albergue in Mérida has more beds than 6. Also great suggestion to stay in Torremejía so that you have a long day to visit the city which is well worth your time.
Although Torremejía itself is nothing special (basically a town along side of the carretera), the albergue turísico is quite special. When we were there a few weeks ago it was just the two of us and there was no breakfast or dinner service in the albergue but I understand from the hospitalera that in season there is.
The Vía de la Plata is different from the Francés in that on many occasions you need to stay in private albergues (e10-15). They will accept reservations - municipals will not. Also note that the albergue turísticos are not only for pilgrims so there will be some competition for beds.

I heard that it was raining in Zafra today but otherwise the weather is looking good.

Thanks everyone
I had mis-read the bed numbers available,is the Molino alberque in addition to the one that is listed as being available through the Hotel Via de La Plata (I see no mention of that elsewhere except Jirit' list). I have a note re Torremejia's Alberque (I think Johnnie's notes) so THAT sounds good idea,I hope to be there Maundy Thurs but who knows, I have seen on youtube the processions in Merida (WOW), ALL the Private beds are already booked out except a few at €50+. I could always stay up late as the Spanish do, walk on and get to next Alberque for a noon siesta! (next day). Bit old for that carry on though....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi unadara,

I don't think you can book in advance in some of the albergues, especially the one you mention in Merida (el Molino), and it won't be necessary if you don't arrive too late . It usually opens at 2 or 3 pm. There's plenty of room, I don't remember exactly now but surely over 40 (I stood last year, it's close to the river so you might consider if there are floods in the area, last year the water reached the second floor!). So it's a damp place, very poor service... if you can pay a bit more I would consider a hostal or hotel.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back