• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eastern Orthodox on the Camino Frances?

Marcus Venator

Are there any Eastern Orthodox Christians here on the Forum that have made the pilgrimage? If so, can you recommend any Orthodox churches along the way? I have heard that there a few Serbian churches.

Any other tips you can share will be most appreciated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There's far more Romanian, catering to the many Romanian immigrants working in Spain -- I ran into a surprising number in restaurants on the Camino del Norte. Here's the best I could put together--- I think in most cases you will have to contact them directly for service times, and I do not expect that there are many aside from Sunday. I know that the RCC in Spain has an agreement with the Romanian patriarchate to put many of their churches at their disposal.

PAMPLONA
Minunea Sfântului Arhanghel Mihail în Colose (Romanian)
C/Pueblo Viejo, 23, 31010, Barañain, Navarra
Pr. Ion Raducu
Tel: 0034-948.078.281
Mobil: 0034-697.616.022, 0034-642.824.091
E-mail: pr.raducu@yahoo.com

SS Peter & Paul (Constantinople)
Archpriest Sergio Stasenko
Movil 628-053810
ssergio56@rambler.ru

LOGROÑO
Sfânta Treime (Romanian)
Avenida del Prior, 6, 26005, Logroño, La Rioja
Pr. Vasile Magnet
Tel/Fax: 0034-941.238.429
Mobil: 0034-659.226.360
E-mail: vasile_magnet@yahoo.es

BURGOS
Sfintii Apostoli Petru si Pavel(Romanian)
Calle Caja de Ahorros Municipal, nr. 11, Burgos
Pr. Claudiu Nicoara
Tel: 0034-642.851.393, 0034-600.362.333
E-mail: cla.nicoara@yahoo.com

LEON
Sfântul Ierarh Iosif cel Nou de la Partos(Romanian)
C/Maestro Uriarte, 2 Piso bajo, colt cu C/ Olleria, 24008, Leon
Ieromonah Porfirie
Mobil: 0034-642.912.878
E-mail: prporfirie@gmail.com
www.parohialeon.blogspot.com

SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA
Saint James the Apostle (Constantinople)
Economo Vasyl Savchuk
Liturgy at the Church of San Fructuoso on Sunday

Camino del Norte

IRUN (Serbian)
Rector: p. Pablo Zúñiga, sacerdote
C/ San Ramón, 2, bajos, 20303 Irún
(+34) 685 725 812
parrokiortodoxoa@gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/parroquiaortodoxairun/ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Irun-Spain/Parroquia-Ortodoxa-San-Marcos/212611960544

BILBAO
Tuturor Sfintilor (Romanian)
Plaza Zeroetxe, 4, 48160, Derio, Bizkaia
Pr. Petru David
Tel. 0034-944.378.262
Mobil: 0034-620.072.827
E-mail: bilbao@mitropolia.eu
parohia_bilbao@yahoo.es

SAN SEBASTIAN DONOSTIA
Parohia „Sfântul Mucenic Sebastian" (Romanian)
Biserica: Ermita Virgen de Uba
Camino de Uba, 37, 20014, Donostia-San Sebastian
Pr. Manescu Marian
Mobil: 0034-695.048.066
E-mail: manescu_marian@yahoo.com

SANTANDER
Parohia „Sfintii Apostoli Petru si Pavel” (Romanian)
Biserica: C/General Davila, 57, 39006, Santander
Pr. Andrei Turea
Mobil: 0034-671.987.742
E-mail: parohiasantander@yahoo.es
tureaandrei@yahoo.com

GIJON – OVIEDO
Sfântul Antonie cel Mare(Romanian)
C/Puerto del Palo, no. 4, Gijon,
Protoiereu Nicolae Florin Goia
Tel: 0034-985.160.723
Mobil: 0034-600.278.871
E-mail: padreflo75@yahoo.com
www.parohiaasturias.es

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I totally agree with most of the posters here that the Romanian orthodox are very prominent in Spain. I myself tried searching for orthodox parishes along the way. I believe just within pamplona there is an orthodox parish of the Romanian patriarchate that is on the way out of town.
I also read a blog of a Coptic priest who made the pilgrimage along the English way.
Not that the shop keepers in Santiago are necessarily catering to Eastern orthodox walkers but there is available a Greek made icon of Saint James but with his pilgrim gear.20201001_032216.jpg

I totally agree with most of the posters here that the Romanian orthodox are very prominent in Spain. I myself tried searching for orthodox parishes along the way. I believe just within pamplona there is an orthodox parish of the Romanian patriarchate that is on the way out of town.
I also read a blog of a Coptic priest who made the pilgrimage along the English way.
Not that the shop keepers in Santiago are necessarily catering to Eastern orthodox walkers but there is available a Greek made icon of Saint James but with his pilgrim gear.View attachment 84183
I’m a Byzantine Catholic monk who walked the Frances in 2014. I was surprised by the number of Orthodox pilgrims I was approached by, being i dress the same as an Orthodox monk. Most of the Orthodox pilgrims I met were from Russia. I was surprised by how often they were given a blessing to receive Catholic sacraments by their bishop back in Russia.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m a Byzantine Catholic monk who walked the Frances in 2014. I was surprised by the number of Orthodox pilgrims I was approached by, being i dress the same as an Orthodox monk. Most of the Orthodox pilgrims I met were from Russia. I was surprised by how often they were given a blessing to receive Catholic sacraments by their bishop back in Russia.
Hi Father Moses. Send my regards to Fr. Maximos! I used to live with Fr. Maximos when I was a Dominican. Yes very surprising that, especially regarding those under the Moscow Patriarchate. Though i remember John Brierly stating there was once a historic route from Russia that connected in Germany to the Camino. So Russian Orthodox wave been Strannik-ing for ages. Lots of Rocor folks go to the local OP parish here and receive. Dont know if they asked their Rocor bishop or not....but it happens.

Of late, the Constantinopolitans have been using Santa Susanna's in Santiago de Compostela. The Abp of Santiago, through his Ecumenical Affairs staff, has allocated Santa Susanna's for the use of Anglican and Orthodox services. Last year, the Orthodox used it for weekly liturgies-- I have made an enquiry if this is still so, and what the hours are, and I will post this information if I hear back.

After a vaccine arrives and the pandemic begins a journey into irrelevance, I'll try to update the list I made in 2014. The number and location of Romanian parishes may have changed during this period as many Romanian immigrants may have returned home and it might take some time for the situation to settle. As I noted the Spanish RC bishops and the Romanian Patriarchate have an agreement-- there is no shortage of available churches in Spain.

I came upon Romanian Orthodox services quite by chance when on the Camino Castellano-Aragonese in 2016 in Soria, in a hermitage in a park by the eastern entrance to the city. About 60 people had turned up for a liturgy, and they were then having a communal dinner afterward- I was able to chat with the priest in stumbling French (mine more than his) and he and his family had just arrived that year.

UPDATE- Orthodox services in Santiago at the church of Santa Susanna in the Alameda park (15 minute walk from the Cathedral) on the first Sunday of the month. My contact thinks it alternates between Ukrainian and another language, but is not 100% certain of the details.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We are Orthodox Christians who have come back into communion with the pope of Rome. We retain our Orthodox liturgy, theology, and spirituality.

Thank you. Is it at all related to the attempts to bring Orthodox Christians to Catholicism in return for aid against the Turks leading up to 1453?

I was surprised by how often they were given a blessing to receive Catholic sacraments by their bishop back in Russia.

There's a very old indult allowing non-Catholics to receive the Eucharist on the Camino, under the conditions you'd expect (sufficient Sacramental Grace ; belief in the Real Presence) -- it long predates the Schism, and it was of course originally intended mostly for the Eastern Orthodox pilgrims, after the partial divisions between the Churches before the formal one.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back