• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easy access to water bottle?

Prentiss Riddle

Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada
Time of past OR future Camino
Português and/or Francés in 2023
Seems like a simple thing but I haven’t found a solution I like:

How do you carry a water bottle (not a hydration pouch) so it is readily accessible while walking? The bottle holder on my pack is unreachable when the pack is on my back.

Does anybody have an easy way to hang it from your shoulder strap or belt? Hopefully without dangling, sloshing or getting in the way of your arm motion?

Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Aqua Clips! VERY inexpensive (3 for $10), trail-proven, and most importantly: my wife LOVES hers! No more asking me to get her bottle every ten minutes. With easy access, she drinks more, too. Clips to most recyclable water bottles, so you can use them if you buy other drinks on the Camino.

Www.aquaclip.com
18F358A6-9F1B-4C73-94C0-0EB7620296C8.jpegC92BE48E-CA44-4BD7-B142-211D005A7EFD.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

How do you carry a water bottle (not a hydration pouch) so it is readily accessible while walking? The bottle holder on my pack is unreachable when the pack is on my back.

Does anybody have an easy way to hang it from your shoulder strap or belt? Hopefully without dangling, sloshing or getting in the way of your arm motion?

Thanks!
Two thinner gauge bungee cords with a cord tighteners. Put one bungee at the top of the shoulder strap, connected to the webbing that tightens the pack straps; then put the second bungee low on the shoulder strap, again threading it under the web that tightens the shoulder strap. The neck of the bottle is held in place by the upper cord, the bottom of the bottle is held by the lower cord. It is easy to access the water bottle. Look at the yellow bungees on the shoulder harness of this ULA Pack for a picture example:
1520800274069.png

Watch this video starting at the 36 second mark, to see the water bottle holder with a bottle attached.

If you want, you can order the actual part at https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/water-bottleholders/
But it looks simple enough to buy the cord and cordlock to make your own.

OR..... you can attach a drinking tube to your bottle and feed that through to your shoulder strap. " I'm assuming you're not going to get a bottle each day and through it away :( " The tubes are long enough to give access to a bottle in any storage pocket on your pack. It replace the bite part on the water bottle.
This gives you the best of both worlds. You can drink as you walk any time you like. The bottle is on the outside of your pack and has a wide neck so you can fill up easily at any convenient fountain. Plus the bottles
don't taste plasticky

Pax et bonum

Or just buy some parachute cord and knot a couple of loops to the shoulder strap of your backpack. Served me well for 800 km. :)
B45A31E2-1188-4761-8EE8-4D2FBE9D09AD.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Try looking at ebay <--- link
Dead simple, dead cheap (incl. international mail).

If the dangling bottle annoys you, then just add a loop of (elastic)string at the bottom.

Apart from that, I'm enough of a contortionist to grab my own bottle from the side pocket on my pack - and to put it back. Took some practice, though ;) The other side pocket holds my poncho and my rain legs.

Or just strap a camel to your pack and be done with it.

We used to use water bottles but groping around for them was a pain, and you need to drink a lot more on the hot Camino then a Kiwi bush walk. With the convenience of the tube right where you need it means you can sip and walk. Having run out if water on the Vdlp, I'd never start a walk with out a full camel and a back up bottle of juice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thanks!

OOOH Thank you for asking this question! I've tried a bladder and a tube in the bottle and I have no idea why but I just don't like them. I like to drink from my bottle so I'm going to study all these answers! :)

I am glad to see I am not the only one to think (actually in my case obsess) about stuff like this!

On the VdlP, I used the Blue Desert SmarTube Hydration System, and was very happy with it (generally using a 2 litre Nalgene bottle, and and sometimes a one litre backup).

For my upcoming Camino Frances, I wanted something smaller, lighter, and simpler. I considered Outdoor Research Water Bottle Tote 1L, Black, 1size based on a Lindsey Cowie Packing List video.

But believe I have settled on just using a Bison Design Bottle Bandit and the pole retaining strap on my Osprey Kestrel 38. I have not field tested this very much yet, but limited testing has proven successful. If it does not work out it won't be the end of the world.

I considered using the tube from my SmarTube system based on this YouTube video (Miyagi's DIY Smart Water Bottle Hack) but it seems I can easily tilt the bottle and drink from it (with less weight an complexity).

Okay... Bring on the comments about ~It's not rocket science, don't over plan stuff, just show up and walk~.

¡Buen Camino! Latecomer

Attachments

• IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    791.3 KB · Views: 96
I saw a bottle-holder online that attached to the rucksack strap but couldn't find one to buy so I cannibalised an old (bright yellow) bag and cobbled together my own version - it attaches around the strap with velcro ties. It survived the Camino and is still going strong. The guy in the hiking shop in Pamplona was quite impressed with it!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 110
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
OR..... you can attach a drinking tube to your bottle and feed that through to your shoulder strap. " I'm assuming you're not going to get a bottle each day and through it away :( " The tubes are long enough to give access to a bottle in any storage pocket on your pack. It replace the bite part on the water bottle.
This gives you the best of both worlds. You can drink as you walk any time you like. The bottle is on the outside of your pack and has a wide neck so you can fill up easily at any convenient fountain. Plus the bottles
don't taste plasticky

Pax et bonum
It takes me all of about 30 to 40 seconds to refill a 2 liter water reservoir (though I usually only fill it one liter at a time), and it doesn't need to be removed from my pack... heck, I don't even have to take my pack off if I don't want to. A cheap and easily installed quick connect valve installed on the drinking tube is all that is needed. At the end of the day, since I am accessing the contents of my pack anyway, it is simple to remove the reservoir and easy to wash and rinse it out.

I'm not suggesting that one should ditch water bottles on a grudging basis. If someone is comfortable with a water bottle, that's all the justification one needs; they do not have to feel obligated to support their subjective preferences. I only mention the above so that those who don't know, have the information that water bottles have no real advantage when it comes to either sanitation or refilling. :)

Water bottlers and water reservoirists can all live in harmony on Camino. :D;) Just please, use plastic that will not crinkle and crackle up a storm in the night during sleep time.:confused:

@davebugg, that Ula pack is the exact one my son has used on his three Caminos, even same color, and he's loved it. Nice idea regarding the bungees. I don't think he ever held his water bottles that way, but he really likes the straps in front for lifting his arms ocassionally to rest them as he doesn't use hiking poles.

I found these to be the most efficient and simple solution. I can drink anytime while walking. Refilling the bottles is just as easy. Make sure you sew or attach the bottle holders to the front straps of your backpack, especially if you use the bottles that come with the holders. Filled with water they are quite heavy. The company is us.raidlight.com. I actually use 1 holder for bananas or fruits that are easily bruised. Buen camino.Bottle holders.JPG

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Im a big fan of climbers chalk bags. I hang one from the chest strap on my pack so it sits down at the point the strap attaches to the pack near my waist. Most are big enough for a water bottle and an orange, apple etc.
Also super handy for holding your hat and gloves for chilly days.

I like the cheaper Black Diamond chalk bags. They have plenty of room and a cinch cord to close them off.

I've been considering these: https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/shoulder-strap-pouches/
  • 1520818547710.png

SHOULDER POUCHES
$16.00
Extra Space You Didn't Know You Had
WEIGHT: 0.6 – 0.7 oz | 17 -20 gm
With our Shoulder Strap Pouches you can easily add small gear and water bottle storage to your pack straps to keep it super handy. It's the perfect use of extra space you didn't know you had!

@davebugg, that Ula pack is the exact one my son has used on his three Caminos, even same color, and he's loved it. Nice idea regarding the bungees. I don't think he ever held his water bottles that way, but he really likes the straps in front for lifting his arms ocassionally to rest them as he doesn't use hiking poles.

I still have my ULA Catalyst and Ohm. Even though I love my Gossamer Gear Mariposa, ULA makes great equipment. I have visited their facility in Logan, Utah several times as I was passing through while going to and from Denver to Washington State. They are great people and stand behind their product 150%.

I tried shoulder pouches and clips of various sorts. I preferred a waist pack with dual water holders. It also made my snacks, money, tablet (with my guidebook on it), etc. very handy.

Thanks!

Lots of options.

This is one that I use.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/bottle-vs-hydropack.52823/#post-584327

I saw a pouch bag that converts into a daysack, but in the end chose one with a net pouch for a bottle.
4EAF80E9-6484-4BA5-BB42-EC4503E351E7.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Thanks!
Best thing i had with me! https://www.backcountry.com/camelbak-hands-free-adapter.
E38B146E-EC2E-47DC-9540-378FA4B925C5.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here is the simplest, cheapest solution I've found: Bison Designs Bottle Bandit Carabiner Clip. It's a gripping rubber ring with attached clip that fits snugly over a standard-sized, disposable water bottle. It sells for $6.50 at REI and comes in a variety of fun colors. It functions like a handle when your bottle is in your pack's side pocket. Makes it easy to pull out and put back in. It also allows you to use the lightest weight, refillable water bottles. One of my favorite pieces of equipment since I can't reach my bottles without it, when I've got my pack on!

Here are a link and a picture:

https://www.rei.com/product/813734/bison-designs-bottle-bandit-carabiner-clip

20180312_085142.jpg

Like Jami Gray said, the tube was the best thing I carried. There are plenty of designs besides the CamelBak. Just visit your local REI or other camping store. The shop across from the Pilgrim's Office in St Jean even carries them. For me, I didn't want one more thing hanging off the front of me and the idea of a bladder that I couldn't clean out gave me the creeps. I just hooked my hose up to a disposable water bottle that sat in the pack holder off my rear end.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thanks!
Me also Had this problem before. Afterwards I Took few mins to take a break. Find a Good spot, take off your backpack, Rest a bit, some water and snacks. It's Good to you. Buen Camino!

Thanks!
You can hang the bottle from the top of the strap and a 36CF4AFD-FEB1-49C4-A882-4A943438F163.jpegvelcro strip on your strap stops the bottle from bouncing.

Hi
I will be leaving to walk the Camino Frances on 5 April this year and my pack doesn't have the option for a water bladder. I did some research and found this https://sourceoutdoor.com/en/bottles/22-convertube-hydration-system"Convertube - Water Bottle Adaptor" which I have been using while leading up to my walk. It works really well and I use small Carabiners to attach around my pack shoulder straps. The good thing is that it has multiple attachments for different size water bottles so you can use it on a normal hiking water bottle or a PET bottle bought along the Way.
Hope this helps

Thanks!
I am using a runners vest that has water bottles in the front... not only are they accessible, it helps to distribute the weight I am carrying....

I am glad to see I am not the only one to think (actually in my case obsess) about stuff like this!

On the VdlP, I used the Blue Desert SmarTube Hydration System, and was very happy with it (generally using a 2 litre Nalgene bottle, and and sometimes a one litre backup).
. . . .
Okay... Bring on the comments about ~It's not rocket science, don't over plan stuff, just show up and walk~.

¡Buen Camino! Latecomer

I also used the Blue Desert SmarTube on the Camino Frances and found it to be a perfect solution as I had the convienence of a hydration tube while walking and the versitility of a water bottle at other times. When the bottle started to get a little iffy, I just bought a new bottle of water.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just obtained several Aqua Clips for use on my next Camino. They came direct from www.aquaclip.com and were 3 for USD 10. I was even able to get them in my signature 'frog green' color...

As soon as I got them I went to my local supermarket to test fit the clip on various size water bottles. The clip fits .5 liter, 1 liter and 1.5 liter round bottles just fine and appears to hold well. I also tried it on both European and US sourced water bottles. It snaps into place firmly on all bottlenecks

The 'arm' or the clip is longer to accommodate various size bottles, so the 'gap' from the vertical part to the bottle is wider on smaller bottles and almost flush on a 1.5 liter bottle.

I am doing Camino from 13 April from Ponferrada and will field test them at that time. I hope they work.

Hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Or just strap a camel to your pack and be done with it.

We used to use water bottles but groping around for them was a pain, and you need to drink a lot more on the hot Camino then a Kiwi bush walk. With the convenience of the tube right where you need it means you can sip and walk. Having run out if water on the Vdlp, I'd never start a walk with out a full camel and a back up bottle of juice.
The camel might get the hump though (sorry, couldn't resist)

I tried shoulder pouches and clips of various sorts. I preferred a waist pack with dual water holders. It also made my snacks, money, tablet (with my guidebook on it), etc. very handy.
Have you a suggestion of a waist pack please?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'd bought an insulated pouch with a neck strap that I ended up not taking; rather, I took my late father's water bottle, which was big - about 24 oz - and came in its own lightweight but slightly insulated sleeve with a neck strap. Worked great, and this coming from someone who ALWAYS uses a hydration pouch hiking at home.

I have an Aarn pack with front balance pockets that are cleverly held away from the body so that air circulates. Looks weird but they are very comfortable and makes carrying water bottles a breeze. Here's a photo.

IMG_20171127_100852117.jpg

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ca

Thanks!
melbsk hands free Eddy tu
Yes, I used this with. 1 liter Camelbak water bottle. Perfect, and so easy to fill at fountains, much better than water bladder. Do take duct tape and fasten tube to bottle. I lost the tube once and had to backtrack.

Thanks!
I have a pouch or holster that my bottle fits into. It has a choice of strap to hang round your neck or a loop on the back to fit onto your belt. For the life of me, I have no memory of purchasing it or where I got it. In fact, I got two but left one, including bottle, in a bar in Portomarín a couple of years ago. Another solution I use is two pieces of elastic cord around my shoulder strap of the back pack. I put one of those little gizmos that you get on jackets, for tightening hood and waistbands, on each cord. Put any old plastic bottle through the cords and tighten and it is always there ready for use. There is a video on youtube on how to make it

Thanks!
Pocket plus. Is what I use (not the ones on amazon)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have an Aarn pack with front balance pockets that are cleverly held away from the body so that air circulates. Looks weird but they are very comfortable and makes carrying water bottles a breeze. Here's a photo.

View attachment 40265

The combination of this image and your name leads me to expect a pair of joeys jumping out of your front packs any minute.

Thanks!
I had the same problem and finally found one at RaidLight which I sewed to my pack strap so I can access it any time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I too have the Aarn pack. And yes, to begin with, I felt funny having two extra bags in front. However, they were great! They fit a 750ml bottle in each side, as well as fruit, bars and other snacks. My phone and tissues fitted in the outside mesh section for quick photos.

Last edited:
I walked for over 30 days with this solution.
It's a mesh bottle holder that clips to your backpack strap.
I found lots of different options like this while searching, but most were very heavy themselves, which was a non-starter for me. I was trying to pack super light, so a bottle holder that weighed 400g itself was too much!
My pack isn't designed for backpacking, so it didn't have any water-holding-specific design elements and I was still able to find a spot to clip the pouch. With any normal pack, there should be a spot! You can see it in use in a lot the pictures on my blog section of that same site.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked for over 30 days with this solution.
It's a mesh bottle holder that clips to your backpack strap.
I found lots of different options like this while searching, but most were very heavy themselves, which was a non-starter for me. I was trying to pack super light, so a bottle holder that weighed 400g itself was too much!
My pack isn't designed for backpacking, so it didn't have any water-holding-specific design elements and I was still able to find a spot to clip the pouch. With any normal pack, there should be a spot! You can see it in use in a lot the pictures on my blog section of that same site.
Nice website - now you've got to do one for the guys ;)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.