• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best transportation options from SdC to Lisbon in July

koilife

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF '13; CF/Salvador/Ingles '16; Portugues '22
My son and I are walking the CP this summer.

We're looking for the best way to return to Lisbon from SdC in early July, and there no longer appear to be direct flights from SdC. I checked A Coruna and Vigo, and they don't have any direct flights either. Also, even the shortest flights connecting through Madrid are materially more expensive than in times past, with almost nothing under 4 hours.

I assume that this is either due to reduced demand because of COVID, or these flights start filling with shorter windows for advanced purchase.

I'm familiar with the ALSA bus route, but I am hoping to find something shorter than 8 hours.

Any suggestions? Or am I tilting at windmills at this point?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@trecile, we already have airfare to/from Lisbon. We're exploring the city for a few days, then starting our Camino from Fatima. I explored the notion of roundtripping from Madrid and then taking the hop to Lisbon, but there was no convenient way to make the flights work without losing a day. Since I was flying on miles, my options tended to be limited.

@JDecay, I actually checked that, but it only buys me about 45 minutes and requires everything to be running smoothly as I navigate unfamiliar stations. Good thought, though.

I'm also using miles to buy my flights, but on United the mileage flights aren't sold as a round trip. I've bought a flight to Lisbon and will buy my return flight from Porto.

I'm also using miles to buy my flights, but on United the mileage flights aren't sold as a round trip. I've bought a flight to Lisbon and will buy my return flight from Porto.
Definitely more convenient.

Bom Caminho!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In 2019, as a group of three, we hired a car and the cost was about $80 each. Very pleasant trip, great driver and several stops for scenery and rest breaks! Just another alternative.

From memory (?), I got a train from SdC to Tuy, then taxi across the border in Valenca in Portugal, thence a train to Porto. I got off there, but I think train continued on to Lisbon. Tuy and Valenca are extremely close, about 5-10 minutes in a taxi.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bus to Porto, several per day. Train to Lisbon.
Bus actually has a stop at Porto airport.
We did this and the Portuguese trains were great (see pic).
Trains between Spain and Portugal were primitive in comparison, which surprised me because I sorta assumed that neighbouring countries in Europe worked together like states in Australia, and don't try to rent a car in one and return it in the other euro country.

Attachments

• IMG_8277.jpeg
    IMG_8277.jpeg
    648.8 KB · Views: 4
My son and I are walking the CP this summer.

We're looking for the best way to return to Lisbon from SdC in early July, and there no longer appear to be direct flights from SdC. I checked A Coruna and Vigo, and they don't have any direct flights either. Also, even the shortest flights connecting through Madrid are materially more expensive than in times past, with almost nothing under 4 hours.

I assume that this is either due to reduced demand because of COVID, or these flights start filling with shorter windows for advanced purchase.

I'm familiar with the ALSA bus route, but I am hoping to find something shorter than 8 hours.

Any suggestions? Or am I tilting at windmills at this point?
Hire a car and driver or rent a car yourself. The bus ride is excruciatingly slow and long, with no opportunity to see anything on the side, like Lourdes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I find far too many gaps in Rome2rio to trust it as accurate or complete. For instance, the routes shown don't account for differences between weekdays and weekends, which is pretty critical because, for instance, the schedule for the bus from SdC-->Vigo-->Porto with train to Lisbon doesn't actually work on a Saturday (the day I need to do it). Moreover, looking at Alsa website directly, they have an 8 hour bus ride on the same Saturday at a convenient time, but it doesn't show at all in Rome2rio.

Thus, Rome2rio may show me options I haven't considered, and sometimes those options are better, but I still have to independently research it to be confident. In this case, I had already looked at Rome2rio and determined it wasn't particularly helpful on this one.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back