A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Easy Spanish radio?

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
I’ve been learning Castilian Spanish for a couple of years and, at my own pace and in ‘expected’ situations, I’ve some degree of competence. Strong B1, approaching B2 on a good day. (UK ‘A’ level).

What I need to work on is conversation and comprehension of random speech.

The Spanish radio stations (SER and RNE) which I listen to are staffed by excitable speed-speakers. Can anyone recommend radio stations with calm, laid-back presenters? Ideally with low music content.

amancio

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
Not an easy one, amigo! Try Radio 3, in Radio Nacional, they speak softly, but there is quite a lot of (alternative) music. OTher than that, Spanish radio reflects the way we are: loud, passionate... Perhaps Radio Nacional 1, or RNE1 would be a good choice too depending on the time of the day.

martini

Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
portugal way, french way, muxia way- past
Aragones way, catalan way, piamonte way- future
I’ve been learning Castilian Spanish for a couple of years and, at my own pace and in ‘expected’ situations, I’ve some degree of competence. Strong B1, approaching B2 on a good day. (UK ‘A’ level).

The Spanish radio stations (SER and RNE) which I listen to are staffed by excitable speed-speakers. Can anyone recommend radio stations with calm, laid-back presenters? Ideally with low music content.
¡Hola amigo!

¡Hola amigo!
Radio Maria de Madrid es muy buena con una pronunciación tranquila y clara.
¡Te deso suerte y éxito!
Martin.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
Radio Maria de Madrid es muy buena con una pronunciación tranquila y clara.
That's an interesting suggestion, thanks! I sometimes tune into our local Radio Maria when I'm driving and I find their music often soothing and some of their spoken contributions or reports or interviews quite interesting. I've bookmarked the link to the Spanish version: https://www.radiomaria.es/directoM

TMcA

Camino(s) past & future
Pamplona to Santiago (2013)
Le Puy to Pamplona in segments (2013 - 2016)
Pamplona to León
I have used a free conversation exchange site for about 5 years to connect myself with French speakers to improve my French language skills. You can do the same with Spanish. Not every partner has worked out but a couple have lasted 3 or more years. The conversations naturally take you beyond "expected situations". Here's the site: https://www.conversationexchange.com/index.php?lg=en

PM me if you have questions or want tips (my experience) about partner selection and other conversation exchange topics.

Buen Camino.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
There are many podcasts in Spanish that you might like for practicing your listening skills.
Here are a few
This first one has a banner ad for a podcast in Spanish about the Camino!

[/URL]

Viggen

Vigo
Camino(s) past & future
CF June 2015
CP June 2017
Del Norte, Finisterre / Muxia Oct 2017
VDLP 2018
VF, SBP to Rome 2019

There is an app called "Radio Garden", its like Google Earth of all radio stations around the globe displayed as dots. You hover over the dots and listen to the station.

david46

Should be old enough to know better...
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Portugese, St. Jaume, Del Sur, Primitivo, Vadiniense, Salvador, Mozarabe
Viggen. You just beat me! Radio Garden is brilliant. Strongly recommended.

Catharine Sowerby

Camino(s) past & future
(2020 Camino Frances)
I’m in a similar situation and listen to various podcast. My favourites is ‘Nómadas’, a travel program from RNE. Intermediate learning podcasts I also use are ‘Español con Juan’ and ‘Espanolistos’ - this later is with a Colombian teacher.

amancio

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
Carlos Alsina (Onda Cero) 6h - 12: 30h Mo to Fr. speaks slowly and clear. The program (Mas de Uno) is politics 6- 10 and morning entertainment 10- 12:30.
Indeed, Carlos Alsina is a fantastic anchor man! But the rest of the team are loud and fast, not easy to understand for a student, I would say. Out of all commercial "news" radio stations, Onda Cero is perhaps the most relaxed on, my favourite!

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016

If you don't understand a conversation among natives don't be upset because it is always difficult in every language. You can have a good command and still you can't understand the whole coversation. It is my case with English.

kdespot

Camino(s) past & future
Francés SJPP-SdC Sept-Oct 2016
There is definitely a dearth of beginner level videos out there for Spanish learners who need a bridge from zero to listening to natives. To that end, I've decided to put together a website that supports beginners and intermediates in the quest to understand spoken Spanish. I wasn't going to put it out to the public yet because it's not quite ready but seeing this thread, I'll go ahead and do it because I'd love some early feedback. Disclaimer: I am not a native speaker. My simplistic videos are designed to make that bridge for beginners. My goal is to continue adding videos and links to Spaniards who present audio in slightly slower Spanish for the more intermediate crowd.
Here's the site: https://kdespot.wixsite.com/mysite-1

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2013, CF 2014, CP 2016, CN 1st half 2018, CN 3rd qtr+R. Cantabrico 2019, Via Francigena 2017
It's great to get these suggestions. I'm always looking for more ways to practice listening since, like you, the hardest part for me is understanding spoken Spanish. There are some great podcasts out there for listening practice. Here is a list of resources for learning Spanish that I've put together. See the section "Listening Practice":

Last edited:

stinmd

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - May 2015; Camino del Norte/Primitivo - July/August 2016; Camino Portugues - Sept 2017
"Espanol con Juan" is my favourite! It's contextual and entertaining.

stinmd

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - May 2015; Camino del Norte/Primitivo - July/August 2016; Camino Portugues - Sept 2017
It's on Youtube, not podcast.

kdespot

Camino(s) past & future
Francés SJPP-SdC Sept-Oct 2016
I have just shared these suggestions on my website. If that's not ok with anyone, just let me know. ¡Mil gracias!

Mary Doll

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Sarria to Santiago (2018)
Camino Francés SJPDP to Finisterre planned for June 2020
Some great suggestions here. I am loving Dreaming Spanish. There are videos suitable for all levels from from superbeginner to advanced level.

I would also highly recommend Language Transfer.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 323 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 373 28.8%
  • October

Votes: 156 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock