• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easy to get a taxi at Pamplona train station?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Just trying to work out options for transportation from Madrid to St Jean.
I'll be traveling with a friend, and I don't think that we'll want to get up early enough for the early train from Madrid to Pamplona, and the later train doesn't get there in time for the 14:30 bus. So, since there will be two of us a taxi might be the best option, especially considering we will be recovering from jet lag.

So my question is, is it easy to get a taxi to SJPDP from the train station in Pamplona?

I'm kind of spoiled having stayed at Corazon Puro last year with the wonderful pick up service they offered.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just trying to work out options for transportation from Madrid to St Jean.
I'll be traveling with a friend, and I don't think that we'll want to get up early enough for the early train from Madrid to Pamplona, and the later train doesn't get there in time for the 14:30 bus. So, since there will be two of us a taxi might be the best option, especially considering we will be recovering from jet lag.

So my question is, is it easy to get a taxi to SJPDP from the train station in Pamplona?

I'm kind of spoiled having stayed at Corazon Puro last year with the wonderful pick up service they offered.
Hi, Trecile,

I wonder if you know that last summer Iberia started flights from Madrid to Biarritz airport? And from there it's easy to get to Bayonne train station and with train to SJPdP. If you buy the tickets well in advance I'm sure the cost would be substantially lover than for the Madrid-Pamplona train and taxi to SJPdP.
Right now tickets cost between 50-60€ in July and you have three different departure times depending on a certain day (9AM, 12:10PM, 4PM,...).

But I'm sorry I can't help you with adequate answer to your OP ;)

Last edited:
Hi, Trecile,

I wonder if you know that last summer Iberia started flights from Madrid to Biarritz airport? And from there it's easy to get to Bayonne train station and with train to SJPdP. If you buy the tickets well in advance I'm sure the cost would be substantially lover than for the Madrid-Pamplona train and taxi to SJPdP.

But I'm sorry I can't help you with adequate answer to your OP ;)
Thanks. I'll check it out.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Trecile,
I arrive in Madrid on April 11th at 7:40am and will be taking the Renfe train to Pamplona. I found this awesome website, a taxi service geared to take pilgrims to SJPdP. They will even try to connect you with others to reduce the cost further. We reserved ahead and secured it with a credit card, but they do have a very good cancellation policy and you actually pay the driver in cash on arrival (if I remember correctly). They pick you up at the train or bus station at the designated time you request. Take a look at their website. I think you will be happy. Buses to SJPdP only run once or twice a day in spring and times did not work well for my group, plus the price per person was higher than sharing a taxi! Www.taxipamplona.com

Hi Trecile,
I arrive in Madrid on April 11th at 7:40am and will be taking the Renfe train to Pamplona. I found this awesome website, a taxi service geared to take pilgrims to SJPdP. They will even try to connect you with others to reduce the cost further. We reserved ahead and secured it with a credit card, but they do have a very good cancellation policy and you actually pay the driver in cash on arrival (if I remember correctly). They pick you up at the train or bus station at the designated time you request. Take a look at their website. I think you will be happy. Buses to SJPdP only run once or twice a day in spring and times did not work well for my group, plus the price per person was higher than sharing a taxi! Www.taxipamplona.com
Thanks! That was just the thing I was looking for!

Edited to add: I love this forum. It makes planning so easy with all the knowledge everyone has.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can remember how stressed I was about the travel arrangements, just to arrive at the station with a long queue of taxi's waiting! We did not book and even had time to ask two other pilgrims to share our taxi with us, making it very affordable to get to SJPdP.

Trecile, To answer your question, taxis at the train station in Pamplona are readily available to take you to SJPdP. Last year my daughter and I took a taxi from the Pamplona train station to SJPdP. All we had to do was walk out the door where a number of taxis were waiting, any one would have taken us. We did not have to wait for a bus and the driver gave us all sorts of interesting information. I did try the taxi share/reservation service but there were no other peregrinos wanting to share at that time. The cost was 100 euros split two ways, a splurge but worth it.

Save yourself a few bucks.

Take the train from Madrid to Irun/Hendaye.

If the Renfe train doesn't terminate in Hendaye (some do some don't) take Metro Donostialdea from Irun Colon to Hendaia or take a taxi from Irun Renfe Station to Gare d'Hendaye (3km).

Take SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne

Take SNCF train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

If you can't make the last train from Hendaye ... catch one in the morning. They leave Hendaye early enough to catch the first train leaving Bayonne at 0745 arr SJPdP 0845 ... lots of time to walk to Roncesvalles.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

If the Renfe train doesn't terminate in Hendaye (some do some don't) take Metro Donostialdea from Irun Colon to Hendaia or take a taxi from Irun Renfe Station to Gare d'Hendaye (3km).

If you can't make the last train from Hendaye ... catch one in the morning. They leave Hendaye early enough to catch the first train leaving Bayonne at 0745 arr SJPdP 0845 ... lots of time to walk to Roncesvalles.

Or just walk from the Irun station to Hendaye gare. Takes half an hour and is easy.

See this route map by Google--
https://goo.gl/maps/D9s2RaVXGJP2

From Irun to Hendaye - Gare SNCF via D912.
29 min (2.3 km)
1. Head southeast toward Colon Ibilbidea
2. Turn left onto Iparralde Hiribidea
3. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit
4. Exit the roundabout
5. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Etorbidea Iparralde
6. Exit the roundabout onto Etorbidea Iparralde
7. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Puente Internacional de Santiago Zubia
8. Exit the roundabout onto Puente Internacional de Santiago Zubia
9. Continue straight onto Pont Saint-Jacques/D912
10. Arrive at location: Hendaye - Gare SNCF

Last edited:

Honestly, after traveling from San Francisco, I'd rather spend the bucks. That sounds like a longer, more roundabout way of getting there.
But thanks for telling me about that option.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Honestly, after traveling from San Francisco, I'd rather spend the bucks. That sounds like a longer, more roundabout way of getting there.
But thanks for telling me about that option.

Actually ... the main border crossing is at Irun. There is a major transportation corridor between San Sebastian and Bayonne. So there are a lot more travel options via Irun and Bayonne than the seasonally scheduled bus via Pamplona.

But hey ... if you want to spend 150 euros on a taxi ... its nothing to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually ... the main border crossing is at Irun. There is a major transportation corridor between San Sebastian and Bayonne. So there are a lot more travel options via Irun and Bayonne than the seasonally scheduled bus via Pamplona.

But hey ... if you want to spend 150 euros on a taxi ... its nothing to me.
I will be splitting the taxi fare with my friend, and hopefully we'll find someone else to share with us too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We also just grabbed the first taxi in the line outside the Pamplona train station and paid 100 Euros. Really nice driver and when we said we were hungry he took us to a great bar in Pamplona for sandwiches and coffee to go. Easy and stress free.

We wanted to go by ourselves however we did note many other Pilgrims on the train so wouldn't have been surprised at all if we could have filled every seatbelt in the car to reduce our cost.

Buen Camino!

Excellent find Chris. I visited the site and navigated it and the language choices to come up with this page in English about their camino service: http://www.taxipamplona.com/en/comparte.php

Just to save people a little trouble.
Yes, I was very pleased with their website and reservation to count on. I like to have "all my ducks in a row" ahead of time getting to SJPdP for the first night. Takes away some stress for me, especially since I'm bringing family members with me this time!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will be splitting the taxi fare with my friend, and hopefully we'll find someone else to share with us too.
It's only 100 euros through the website for 4 prople and they even have larger vehicles to reduce the cost further if you can find other pilgrims.

I like to have "all my ducks in a row" ahead of time getting to SJPdP for the first night. Takes away some stress for me, especially since I'm bringing family members with me this time!
Same here. My friend is counting on me to be the "expert", so I want our journey to SJPDP to go as smoothly as possible. She only has two weeks vacation, so I want to make sure we use her time well.

Same here. My friend is counting on me to be the "expert", so I want our journey to SJPDP to go as smoothly as possible. She only has two weeks vacation, so I want to make sure we use her time well.
When do you start? And where do you hope to finish in the two weeks time frame?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When do you start? And where do you hope to finish in the two weeks time frame?
We start July 3. Not exactly my choice, but that's when my friend could take vacation. And I know it will be hot, but I walked in very hot weather last year and survived. :) And she did a week long backpacking trip a couple of years ago when it was over 100F every day, carrying more than we will carry on the Camino.

We are thinking that we should be able to get to Najera. She will have just 10 walking days. I will continue on to Leon, where I plan to detour onto the Salvador, then the Primitivo.

We start July 3. Not exactly my choice, but that's when my friend could take vacation. And I know it will be hot, but I walked in very hot weather last year and survived. :) And she did a week long backpacking trip a couple of years ago when it was over 100F every day, carrying more than we will carry on the Camino.

We are thinking that we should be able to get to Najera. She will have just 10 walking days. I will continue on to Leon, where I plan to detour onto the Salvador, then the Primitivo.
I've always walked in mid Aoril thru May. You will be wearing lots of sleeveless tops! I'm "salivating over the Salvador". :)Hopefully one day I will do it. I loved the Primitivo and know you will too. You will probably experience some cooler temps on the mountain routes! Buen Camino, Trecile!

I've always walked in mid Aoril thru May. You will be wearing lots of sleeveless tops! I'm "salivating over the Salvador". :)Hopefully one day I will do it. I loved the Primitivo and know you will too. You will probably experience some cooler temps on the mountain routes! Buen Camino, Trecile!
Actually, I'll be wearing my merino wool "hiking" dresses with a cap sleeve.:)
I would have liked to go earlier this year, but I'm taking classes until mid June.
Next year I might take spring term off of school and walk the VdlP.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back