• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easyjet Baggage Fee

Anne-Marie S.

Time of past OR future Camino
Last: '22 Primitivo, Next: '24 Portuguese
My husband is flying from SdC to London for his first leg home to the US in July. When I booked his flight, I did not pay extra for baggage since the 65 euros they were asking seemed ridiculous to me. He has expressed concerns that his pack will be to big to carry on, and is thinking that he should pay for a checked bag now and not when he arrives at the airport. I just looked online to see if I could add a bag, and the fee is now 175 euros! Has anyone else had this experience with Easyjet? Can he carry on his pack, or pay less to check it at the airport? I just cannot believe that they can justify charging so much for a single bag on a short flight!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,
I used Easyjet to fly into Bilbao on 28th Feb this year and then used them again to fly out of Porto on the 2nd April having completed the Camino Frances.

My circumstances were slightly different to your husband as, before I flew and immediately after booking the return leg, ( I couldn't book the ret. leg at the same time as the out leg as April was claimed to be Summer. I had to wait until the flight became available) I contacted Easyjet regarding baggage.
I was doing the walk for Charity. I explained to them that my walk was completely self funded and as a result they kindly amended my booking to include 15Kgs hold luggage each way.

The one thing I can say is that the 15kgs each way should have cost me £37 for both legs together in total, which equates to about €40 at today's poor UK/Euro exchange.

I don't know which 'Box' your hubby has ticked but he shouldn't need more than 15Kgs. After all, he's got to carry the bag and I wouldn't want to carry one gram more than 15kgs.

PS I put the £37 towards the Charity (Prostate Cancer UK). As I said the walk was completely self funded.

if his bag is just over carry on size go to the check-in desk and ask for "hands free" it costs 6 or 7 euro pay by card. they will take his bag ansd check it in no messing with security. it also leaves him a a laptop or handbag that he can take on the plane. this is usually extra edit you also get priority unloading.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Easyjet feel no need to justify their charging policies. They just advertise $10 flights and use the extras to pay for fuel, crew etc. How big is his pack? Most 35 - 40 liter internal frame packs will fit if strapped down tight. It’s a shame it’s a warm season, otherwise advise is to wear most of your gear and compress the pack down even more. If he hangs to the back of the gate queue they will have run out of room for “hand” luggage in the overhead lockers and will put his pack in the hold for free.

My husband is flying from SdC to London for his first leg home to the US in July. When I booked his flight, I did not pay extra for baggage since the 65 euros they were asking seemed ridiculous to me. He has expressed concerns that his pack will be to big to carry on, and is thinking that he should pay for a checked bag now and not when he arrives at the airport. I just looked online to see if I could add a bag, and the fee is now 175 euros! Has anyone else had this experience with Easyjet? Can he carry on his pack, or pay less to check it at the airport? I just cannot believe that they can justify charging so much for a single bag on a short flight!

Not sure what you are doing when looking at the Easyjet luggage fees.
SdC to London Gatwick : July 13 (Saturday) : 15 kg bag is listed at Euros 28.59 , 23 kg is 36.39 and 26 kg is 51.39.
I have checked one other date ; baggage costs are the same.
Do have another try ; make sure you are adding just one bag.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Easyjet are very good. Usually you sq uash your rucksack so that it fits into the correct size. Weight doesn't matter for handluggage as long as you can lift it.
to add checked in luggage costs 25euros for 15kg. We find the only reason to check anything in is for your sharp knives or repair things and sticks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You are not allowed to bring walking poles into the cabin. SdC Airport is notorious about enforcing "no carry on poles" policy. So if you have poles and don't want to check in, you have to leave your poles behind.

You are not allowed to bring walking poles into the cabin. SdC Airport is notorious about enforcing "no carry on poles" policy. So if you have poles and don't want to check in, you have to leave your poles behind.
I collapsed my poles and put them in my backpack and took the easyJet hands free option.

...or post them home...love

It's my understanding that all of the airlines at the Santiago Airport will check your poles for free.

I always put my poles in my pack and put it in the hold, I factor in the cost of luggage as part of the air fare, it is a small amount in comparison with the total cost of the trip.

On my way out and back I packed my walking stick (1200mm) into a square tube. It had been for a fluorescent lighting tube. After sealing up the ends I stuck a label on it with the codes of the two airports (eg BRS-BIO) and the date of travel on the tube and took it to the check in desk. It was put in the hold and emerged at the other end.

If the check in desk folk start to demand extra for, say and extra piece of hold baggage, tell them truthfully that they are walking aides. They should not charge you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.