• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

EasyJet cancelled my flight 😞

Fiona30

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 22
Portugese 23
Ingles 24
Primitivo 24
So I received the dreaded email today that EasyJet have cancelled my flight from Bristol to Biarritz in August 🤦‍♀️... luckily I have nearly 2 months to re-jig things... I'm now thinking of doing the whole journey by train, that way I can walk literally walk from my front door and start my Camino from home wearing my backpack 😂... So, train from Devon to London, Eurostar to Paris (luckily I work in travel so hopefully will be able to get a one way ticket for less than £30), a night in Montparnasse and then the 7am-ish train to SJPDP via Bayonne in the morning. All this will pretty much double my travel costs to start my walk, but at least going by train will keep my carbon footprint down 😇 I'm totally tied in to the dates starting my walk, as I have had the 5 weeks booked off work and I can't move it - I know when I have to start, and finish, what happens along the way is whatever happens!

Anyone have any top tips for getting to SJPDP this way?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So I received the dreaded email today that EasyJet have cancelled my flight from Bristol to Biarritz in August 🤦‍♀️... luckily I have nearly 2 months to re-jig things... I'm now thinking of doing the whole journey by train, that way I can walk literally walk from my front door and start my Camino from home wearing my backpack 😂... So, train from Devon to London, Eurostar to Paris (luckily I work in travel so hopefully will be able to get a one way ticket for less than £30), a night in Montparnasse and then the 7am-ish train to SJPDP via Bayonne in the morning. All this will pretty much double my travel costs to start my walk, but at least going by train will keep my carbon footprint down 😇 I'm totally tied in to the dates starting my walk, as I have had the 5 weeks booked off work and I can't move it - I know when I have to start, and finish, what happens along the way is whatever happens!

I have no top tips, nor even poor bottom tips, but I would take off my hat if I wore one in the hilarious summer weather we have at the moment in Dublin. I do admire your readiness to dance on the head of a pin and set off. Go for it. Yes, at least, at least - your carbon footprint will make a difference. I look forward to catching your reports as you set off in August. on the way, you will find how or if you can recoup the extra costs by economising along the way. Even a tortilla in a plastic package can taste like nectar at the end of a long hard day's walking!

Hey, I’m travelling from Devon a bit later in the year & taking the Santander ferry from Plymouth. Could that be an option for you?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @Susannah1 - I did look at the ferry but it only goes twice a week (Weds and Sunday) so it doesn't really match up with my start date... 😞

Hi @Susannah1 - I did look at the ferry but it only goes twice a week (Weds and Sunday) so it doesn't really match up with my start date... 😞
You have my sympathy! My love who has breast cancer has her op 27 July, then radio therapy and tablets. We hope to make our flight from Bristol to Bordeaux on 29 August. This is my normal route out since 2003. I then catch train/bus to Saint jean. EASY JET HAVE CANCELLED OUR RETURN FLIGHT! However, we are more concerned about getting there and will get back however! Have you thought of BRISTOL as departure point? I have used A CORUNNA as both arrival point and homeward bound some years ago. There is also SANTANDER AND BILBAO. AIR IBERIA operates out of SANTIAGO BUT USES EASY JET FROM GENEVA TO BIRMINGHAM! WHICH IS THE BIT CURRENTLY CANCELLED. Dunno if any of this is of any use but buen Camino any way, Godspeed and good luck !

Samarkand

You have my sympathy! My love who has breast cancer has her op 27 July, then radio therapy and tablets. We hope to make our flight from Bristol to Bordeaux on 29 August. This is my normal route out since 2003. I then catch train/bus to Saint jean. EASY JET HAVE CANCELLED OUR RETURN FLIGHT! However, we are more concerned about getting there and will get back however! Have you thought of BRISTOL as departure point? I have used A CORUNNA as both arrival point and homeward bound some years ago. There is also SANTANDER AND BILBAO. AIR IBERIA operates out of SANTIAGO BUT USES EASY JET FROM GENEVA TO BIRMINGHAM! WHICH IS THE BIT CURRENTLY CANCELLED. Dunno if any of this is of any use but buen Camino any way, Godspeed and good luck !

Samarkand
Hi Samarkand, Bristol was my original departure point, and it was so all going to be so convenient as my brother was flying out with his family on holiday the same day so I was hitching a lift with him for free to the airport 🤦‍♀️... I did consider BRS-BOD briefly, but the one day of the week they don't fly is the Saturday I was booked in to Biarritz... plus I'm now a bit dubious of flying (which is either understandable or ironic or I don't know what, seeing as I work for an airline myself - I know exactly whats happening with all airlines right now so I kind of thought this could happen... and yet I also know whats happening with the trains in the UK and everyone keeps telling me the French love to strike over everything and especially on a Friday 😂)... I just keep thinking as long as I don't book anything I can't get a refund for, it'll all be ok 🤞🏻

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Someone has already suggested the ferry but you seem to be very much tied to a particular schedule. Just for info I did the whole Frances in Sept/Oct 2019. I took the Tuesday ferry from Plymouth, Wed night stayed in Santander, Thu night in Pamplona, Fri night in SJPDP. Started on the Saturday.
I hope you get out there successfully. Just to whet your appetite it was a truly enjoyable and fabulous experience. An ability to get on with fellow travellers would be a definite 'nice to have'.... I still think about it all every day.

I had my Bristol to Biarritz flight cancelled too last month. I requested a refund and rebooked from Gatwick. I then had to change my return flight to Gatwick as my car would now be in London.
Not sure how I am going to navigate the compensation, but I'm up for a fight.
Just finished SJPDP-Logrono yesterday, bussed back to Pamploma today to travel back to Biarritz.
Sarah

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My flight in September, same route, also cancelled but managed to get on another Bristol flight to Bordeaux via easyJet. Will catch a train from there to Bayonne and thence to SJPDP. Have to fly out a day earlier but will spend a night there and explore the Cathedral in Bordeaux.
Easyjet will sort flights, as they’re obliged to do, and I will use Trainline to book rail travel. Good luck and buen Camino.

We travelled to France by train at the end of April. We thought we'd try it for a change and it meant we could take our Pacerpoles with us. We live in North Wales, so, pre-booked 'cheap' train to London, Tesco points to pay for a night in a small hotel near Paddington. We pre-booked Eurostar tickets when they became available (about £50 each, one way). Stayed 2 nights in Paris (because I'd never been and stayed), stayed at Adveniat Hostel, recommended by someone on this forum (thank you). Train from Paris to Montparnasse, overnight stay (meeting up with American friends). Bus the next day (train not running) to SJPP.

However, we too had our flights cancelled by Easyjet- coming home! Re-booked with Vueling, missed a day with the grandchildren because of it as flight was later and also Vueling moved our destination airport from Gatwick to Stansted! Expensive train trip from there to Newbury- tickets cost the same as the ones we'd booked back home, from Newbury to North Wales. So, an expensive trip.

Won't be booking any more flights anywhere for the rest of this year at least!

I had my Bristol to Biarritz flight cancelled too last month. I requested a refund and rebooked from Gatwick. I then had to change my return flight to Gatwick as my car would now be in London.
Just finished SJPDP-Logrono yesterday, bussed back to Pamploma today to travel back to Biarritz.
Sarah
Did they cancel it at very short notice then? As they've cancelled mine with 8 weeks to go, I won't be entitled to any compensation. Which is fine, I'd much rather they cancelled it now than the week before. Now I have time to think and get my head round a different plan... To be honest, after having a night to sleep on it, I'm really excited to get the train/Eurostar/train -after all, a night in Paris? Can't really see a downside to that 😍

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sarah
I need to claim compensation too. Haven't done it yet, but have used Resolver in the past and been successful. Access it through Martyn Lewis' website. Good luck!

Fellow Devonian here, so I feel your pain. I think the key to things at the moment is being agile and flexible with arrangements

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've just had my Easyjet voucher extended for the third time to the end of October . Flight was cancelled due to covid in 2020.

If you are claiming compensation from Easyjet, use the app or go here

If you are doing it for another EU airline or a flight into the EU, google for [airline line] + EU261. EU261 refers to the compensation regulation. Going direct whether it is booking a flight or claiming compensation is easier than getting a 3rd party involved.

My day job involves digging people out of "holes" they get themselves into by not reading the terms when they book.

“Easyjet” is a complete misnomer. I’ve tried to use my so called credit and simply gave up in the end. And there’s no effective way of getting any help from them. There’s nothing easy about Easyjet in my view.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My only successful experience at getting anything back from Easyjet was to phone. Just phone direct, hang on and you might have a chance!
If you can find a tel number! My credit was also extended for the third time but far as I’m concerned they can keep it and forget about me, completely. Waste of time.

If, despite complaining, you do not get a satisfactory answer, there are 2 usual options.

The first is Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) which is an alternative to a court claim. The other is a court claim.

As far as Easyjet is concerned, they prefer ADR. The UK airline regulator is the CAA and their advice is below. You can do it online if you wish just to show they are not immune from complaints from outside the UK - and they should treat their customers with respect from wherever they are based.

Easyjet has signed up to an independent Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider, which has been approved by the CAA.

Since the introduction of ADR in the aviation sector we [CAA] no longer accept complaints about Easyjet, or indeed any airline where an option to use ADR exists. ADR providers are better placed to handle complaints since the airline have agreed to be bound by the ADR provider’s decision. Unfortunately, the CAA has no legal powers to impose a solution on an airline.

If you wish to pursue your claim you should contact the Consumer Dispute Resolution Ltd (AviationAdr) at:

Consumer Dispute Resolution Ltd
12-14 Walker Avenue,

Stratford Office Village,

Wolverton Mill,

Milton Keynes

MK12 5TW

Tel: +44(0)020 3540 8063

More information about Alternative Dispute Resolution can be found on our website at http://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Res...How-the-CAA-can-help/How-to-make-a-complaint/.

I procrastinated greatly on my travel to STJPDP. There appeared to be so many options. Glasgow to Bristol to Biarritz with easyJet was one such option, requiring an over in Bristol. I almost booked it but choose the GLA- Gatwick- Biarritz route, then train to STJPDP. This was the obvious route, don’t know why I didn’t recognise it.

Anyway we have decided that we are going on the Camino in September so any issues with flights and we will use any alternative means to get to STJPDP.😄

Thanks for the heads up Fiona

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back