• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eating along the camino

YigalR

Hi everybody,

I'm starting my first and quiet short camino next month (only 10-11 days of "camino-ing"), and I'm quiet prepared (I have suitable shoes, bag, sleeping bag, rain poncho, etc.).

I've read that along the camino there are places that offer traveler's menu (7-10 euros), so that's really convinient... That made me wonder about eating along the way: It seems reasonable to eat the main meal after you finished walking each day. So what is the best solution for the times you're hungry along the way? I though about cafes along the way or buying different snacks (pringles, nuts, etc...).

What's common among travelers?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Mornings can be a problem if you are used to a cup of coffee right away. You will often walk for quite a while until you come to an open bar. A bar in Spain is a small restaurant that also serves beer, wine, etc., and are found in most small villages.

Most people prepare for the morning and mid-day meal by buying a sandwich or bread and cheese the night before and carrying it. With luck, you will run upon a bar at mid day and be able to get a sandwich or a "tortilla".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some albergues offered a simple cafe con leche and tostadas (toast), which was enough to get me going until about two hours later, around 10a, I would stop for breakfast #2 as I called it. This usually was at a bar and included a bathroom break, cafe con leche, more tostadas or if I was lucky, a tortilla patata. Then I would stop walking around 1 or 2p and get settled at the albergue and head out for another snack, then dinner would happen later at one of the bars or in the albergue, depending on the situation. I also would stock up on food every couple of days so sometimes instead of buying lunch, I would make a bocadillo or eat an apple or some yogurt. Just enough to keep the blood sugar up and the energy level going so I could continue!

Eating...next to drinking...one of my favorite events on the Camino. That said, one etiquette point, then a suggestion.

1. If you're staying in an albergue that includes a light breakfast...eat at the table. It's considered bad form to stuff a bag with food as you depart. You may be in a hurry to get back on the Camino, but there may be fellow peregrinos that, for whatever reason, will leave well after you. Often, whatever is put out early is all that there will be...so the later departures get no food at all.

2. I found that most towns or villages have either a Mercado...or a Supermercado. These are similar to grocery stores and carry just about everything you may want...from fruits, to cheese to hard sausage and, yes Vinotinto...wine and beer. Much cheaper here than in a cafe or restaurant.

Buen "em, em, good" Camino

Arn

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey Renegade,I liked your comment about the #2 breakfast reminded me of (don't know why I remember it) Lord of the Rings;
Aragon: Gentlemen, we do not stop 'til nightfall.
Pippin: What about breakfast?
Aragorn: You've already had it.
Pippin: We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?
[Aragorn turns and walks off in disgust]
Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?
Merry: I wouldn't count on it.
Though on the Camino we may be pilgrims, maybe inside we are Hobbits on the Camino! LOL

I looked forward to breakfast #2 every day!!!

Oh, I don't know if they have peanut butter in Israel (forgot to look when I was there last year), but it was half way across Spain before I realized it was impossible to find in any grocery store. Finally, in Ponferrada, I was able to find a small plastic jar of it. I ate PB & J sandwiches for the next few days and loved every minute of it! Peanut butter is a good source of protein which is important when walking so much.

An old tip from my friend John.

If you enjoy a cold beer with your picnic lunch, take a couple of beers from the shelf in the supermecado and put them in a deep freeze chest (meat, fish, vegetables) while you continue your shopping.
Before proceeding to the checkout, go back and retrieve your cold beers!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
sillydoll said:
An old tip from my friend John.

If you enjoy a cold beer with your picnic lunch, take a couple of beers from the shelf in the supermecado and put them in a deep freeze chest (meat, fish, vegetables) while you continue your shopping.
Before proceeding to the checkout, go back and retrieve your cold beers!

Of course, if there are any thirsty Pilgrims in the supermecado...they may not be there when you go back to get them.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back