• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eating and sleeping on the Camino

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
My wife and I are planning our first Camino for next year, 2018.
We have read that the evening meal in Spain is taken quite late. And I believe pilgrims start on their daily walk quite early.
So... How do pilgrims get a good night's sleep? :)
What is the earliest time one can have an evening meal on the Camino?
Cheers
Andrew

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I really tried to answer this for you, but changed my response several times.

1. albergues will serve a bit earlier.
2. You can get sandwiches and smaller "snacks" and eats in bars much of the time.
3. If you are preparing food in your albergue, you will tend to eat with the group--often earlier (6-7 pm? 8?).
4. Restaurants and pilgrim menus seem to be available 7 pm and later, as I recall, although restaurants in large cities tend to serve later--9 pm or so?
5. In the large cities, communities are dressed up and out having food and drinks late into the evening! It's a beautiful spectacle.

I would always carry some sort of snack so as not to be starving and having to wait.....I sometimes struggled with meal-type food unavailable when I was really hungry. I learned fairly quickly, though!

We have read that the evening meal in Spain is taken quite late. And I believe pilgrims start on their daily walk quite early.
Cheers
Andrew
In the towns and villages on the Camino businesses cater to pilgrims, and therefore serve a "pilgrim menu" around 7pm.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In the towns and villages on the Camino businesses cater to pilgrims, and therefore serve a "pilgrim menu" around 7pm.

Thanks for reaffirming my #4 on the list above! I was pretty sure I had remembered that correctly, but am glad you confirmed it :)

I never had a problem finding meals earlier.....
As others have said, they 'cater' for Pilgrims along the Camino.
I don't recall ever having to eat later than 7:00 pm, usually earlier.

Last edited:
@CaminoDebrita gives sound advice, you often see hungry pilgrims circling small towns looking for a meal at 5pm. The main route stops have moved up pilgrim meal times to 7pm which is good as in the early days meals tended to not start till 9pm and the alburges often locked up at 10pm. In many villages shops are usually closed for the afternoons and don't open till after 6pm

I'd like to put in a plug for the great Spainsh lunch, if you leave early in the day you can usually get into your destination in time to catch the tail end of lunch (around 2pm or 3pm) this means you get a tastey full meal and have plenty of time for an afternoon nap or mooch around the town. Just a word to the wise, if you are planning on starting early in the day, sort your stuff out the night before, no one likes pack rustlers early in the morning and it's best to be considerate.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'd like to put in a plug for the great Spainsh lunch, if you leave early in the day you can usually get into your destination in time to catch the tail end of lunch (around 2pm or 3pm) this means you get a tastey full meal and have plenty of time for an afternoon nap or mooch around the town.
On our camino we usually had the "pilgrims' meal' served around 7:00. Next time I want to try filling up on the menu of the day in the afternoon. I hear that the food is better and not much more expensive. There is a better chance to meet locals too and they might be able to point you to some local sites.

...and don't forget that bars will be open all day and they will often have tapas (or pintxos) that can certainly extend to an evening meal. Makes a change from the menu del Peregrino and menu del dia.

We have read that the evening meal in Spain is taken quite late.
I haven't walked the Camino del Norte, but think that it may cater less to pilgrim hours than the Camino Frances does. A number of the replies on this thread have been based only on Camino Frances experience. On the other routes it can be more difficult to get a meal when you want it! On the Via de la Plata in the spring I had meals of peanuts, potato chips (crisps), Magnum ice cream bar, and empanada several times when that was the only choice before 8:30 pm. So you should carry snacks and when you arrive in the place where you'll stay the night, find out right away what your options are, so that you can get to the grocery store if necessary before it closes!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh, my goodness, this is putting me to the pin of my collar! My memory of the Camino Frances is as follows: off early to avoid the heat with something like a banana and a liquid yogurt drink to get going. Soon as possible, cafe con leche and something substantial. Always, in the bag, nuts and dried fruits, some fruit, plain biscuits, individually wrapped little cheeses. If finished by around 1pm, and can cook in albergue, wash self and clothes, shop for the evening meal, and go for either pilgrim meal or menu del dia. Rest, write, visit what is on offer culturally, cook/ collaborate in communal meal. Bed by 9pm!!!
Portugues, rarely if ever cooking, great opportunity to eat together with other pilgrims, but still, early to bed.
And to your final question: I think if you are cooking for yourself, as early as you can have access to the cooker. And turn around the main meal so your evening meal is possible by having tapas or pinchos

Hey Andrew. Personally, after a long day’s walk, there is rarely any problem sleeping. If there is, I recommend a glass of wine. (Repeat as necessary)

Likewise, coming off a day’s walking, you will find food.

I know it will sound weird, but truly, start, and walk. The rest will become clear.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey Andrew. Personally, after a long day’s walk, there is rarely any problem sleeping. If there is, I recommend a glass of wine. (Repeat as necessary)

Likewise, coming off a day’s walking, you will find food.

I know it will sound weird, but truly, start, and walk. The rest will become clear.

I fear there is a link between snoring and vino tinto. The more vino tinto the less I hear others snoring.. I can't comment if it's the same for them..

Hi Andrew
My experience has varied a lot over a few caminos. Are you walking Camino Norte as first camino? Beautiful route.
Even on CF there were a couple of times the kitchen wasn't open until 8pm. This can mean bolting your food down if you have to wait until then to place your order. ( if sleeping in Albergues that shut the door at 10pm. That is if there is a walk involved to return etc).

On my first camino (CP), walking thru a village with walking friend at lunchtime we decided to partake of menu Del dia which was great . Unfortunately we still had some hot walking and hills before we finished for the day . A drop of alcohol and afternoon heat don't sit well with us. It was hard to get started again.

In later caminos I noticed quite a few people would 'finish' their days walk before the hours of menu del dia or lunchtime peregrino meal and have main meal then, and not be starving all afternoon. Then just relax , do their chores, washing etc and enjoy a light dinner or communal meal later or go to a bar and enjoy the tapas.

It will all 'click' for you once you start tho.
You'll fall into a pattern that suits you so no need for your wife to worry.

Buen camino
Annie

I'm in Bilbao now. I have not had trouble with food yet. Meals are scheduled as per previous comments but for example, yesterday at 4, I asked for something to eat and although hesitant, they made me a sandwich with chicken lettuce and tomato. Most places will accommodate especially if you are having a beer . Haha.

I am, however, running into a problem with a lack of places to cook for myself. So far, I've only been at two albergue and that offered cooking facilities. I don't like eating out so much because I'm tired of Spanish food.....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cheers
Andrew
We have always eaten our main meal at lunchtime, also late in Spain by our normal timing. We walk until lunchtime and then stop for the day. This means we eat between 13.00 and 15.00, then washing clothes followed by a siesta maybe if in private accommodation. Potter around in the late afternoon - walk around the town/village. We then get a snack type evening meal or make our own around 18.00 to 19.00 and to bed. We also always asked for the Menu del Dia, not Menu Peregrino - or for Platos Combinados, which unlike the other meals can be shared.
That suits our walking pattern and enables us to get enough sleep. We also get breakfast about 7.00 and then start walking as we do not expect to walk more than about 20kms a day. When we walked there wasn't the 'bed rush' on the Norte, Primitivo or Inglés, whether in albergues or hostals etc.
In case of emergency we carried a tin of sardines and would buy a small loaf/rolls to make a sandwich.

I'm in Bilbao now. I have not had trouble with food yet. Meals are scheduled as per previous comments but for example, yesterday at 4, I asked for something to eat and although hesitant, they made me a sandwich with chicken lettuce and tomato. Most places will accommodate especially if you are having a beer . Haha.

I am, however, running into a problem with a lack of places to cook for myself. So far, I've only been at two albergue and that offered cooking facilities. I don't like eating out so much because I'm tired of Spanish food.....
Hey Matt--thanks for letting us know.

A few tips: go to some groceries, and get some bread, cheese, meat. Also, be informed!! the Spanish folks do NOT want you touching the fruits and vegetables to select it. Let THEM touch it and give it to you. At least that is my observation, and others on the forum have taught me the same.

You may be happier with some dried meat, cheese, bread, fruit, veggie----of your own, rather than cooking.

Deb

We have always eaten our main meal at lunchtime, also late in Spain by our normal timing. We walk until lunchtime and then stop for the day. This means we eat between 13.00 and 15.00, then washing clothes followed by a siesta maybe if in private accommodation. Potter around in the late afternoon - walk around the town/village. We then get a snack type evening meal or make our own around 18.00 to 19.00 and to bed. We also always asked for the Menu del Dia, not Menu Peregrino - or for Platos Combinados, which unlike the other meals can be shared.
That suits our walking pattern and enables us to get enough sleep. We also get breakfast about 7.00 and then start walking as we do not expect to walk more than about 20kms a day. When we walked there wasn't the 'bed rush' on the Norte, Primitivo or Inglés, whether in albergues or hostals etc.
In case of emergency we carried a tin of sardines and would buy a small loaf/rolls to make a sandwich.

Idem here. At 2.30 or 3 I would ask for a menu del dia and in the evenings I would settle for a selfmade snack or a tapa with a wine or beer.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back