• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eating in Roncesvalles

JoEllen

Time of past OR future Camino
It doesn't appear that the accommodations (except Casa Sabina and La Posada) provide any type of meal (dinner or breakfast). Where does a pilgrim get food in Roncesvalles? Is it a scramble to get any sustenance in the morning or is there a bar/cafe/restaurant after Roncesvalles?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In the morning you can get your first cup of coffee from the automat and then an hour or so into your walk stop for better breakfast along the way.

In nearby Burguete there is only one church, next to it is a small plaza and at the back of the plaza a GREAT cafe/bar which is open early every morning and very pilgrim friendly. Within their complex is the local fronton court. I have always stopped here on my way down from Roncesvalles. If is still dark as you leave Roncesvalles be sure to wear or carry your head torch.

In Roncesvalles albergue you have vending machines and microwave ovens.
Just a little bit before Burguette, where you hit the tarmac road, there's a shop on the other side. At least it was there in 2011 (6 years ago already???). Also a few tables and benches in nearby shaded park.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you don't mind a later start, La Posada does a good breakfast. Even though we stayed in the albergue and not at La Posada there was no problem getting a table for breakfast. Besides, it was a cold rainy morning and by the time we'd finished breakfast the rain had pretty much stopped. :)

It is a great experience staying at Roncesvalles, but if you stay at Orisson and get to Roncesvalles very early, then walking on to Burguete works well - there are several places to stay.

Ernest Hemingway stayed in Hotel Burguete in 1924 and 1925 for a fishing trip to the Irati River, and describes it in his novel The Sun Also Rises. I stayed in the hotel a couple of years ago and re-read the book - very enjoyable. I understand the hotel is still owned and operated by the same family.

My friend and I walked to Burguete the first day and stayed at the Hotel Burguete. After a long walk over the mountain, it was so nice to have a comfortable room with a good shower and a comfy bed. There were a number of options for both dinner and breakfast.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can have an early breakfast at Burguete as suggested. The one at the Plaza would be a good place to have a hearty meal.

It doesn't appear that the accommodations (except Casa Sabina and La Posada) provide any type of meal (dinner or breakfast). Where does a pilgrim get food in Roncesvalles? Is it a scramble to get any sustenance in the morning or is there a bar/cafe

It doesn't appear that the accommodations (except Casa Sabina and La Posada) provide any type of meal (dinner or breakfast). Where does a pilgrim get food in Roncesvalles? Is it a scramble to get any sustenance in the morning or is there a bar/cafe/restaurant after Roncesvalles?

Plenty of food available in Roncesvalles. Casa Sabina do menu del day from 1300 to 1500 also evening meals which you book in advance. Hotel does menu del day and la posada evening meals and tapas etc. Casa Sabina now opens at 7am for breakfast and 3km brand new cafe on Camino. Can't be missed Buen camino

Stay at La Posada and schedule dinner and breakfast at check in. It's easy, reasonably priced and it's awesome!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well this is good news about Burguete - if I cannot stay in Tom's hotel/albergue at Akerreta (they are full the day I was planning to stay) I can sleep in "Ernesto's" bed. Cheers

My friend and I walked to Burguete the first day and stayed at the Hotel Burguete. After a long walk over the mountain, it was so nice to have a comfortable room with a good shower and a comfy bed. There were a number of options for both dinner and breakfast.
This is exactly my plan for next month...reserved and ready to go! Did you walk the Napoleon or Valcarlos route when you did it?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In nearby Burguete there is only one church, next to it is a small plaza and at the back of the plaza a GREAT cafe/bar which is open early every morning and very pilgrim friendly. Within their complex is the local fronton court. I have always stopped here on my way down from Roncesvalles. If is still dark as you leave Roncesvalles be sure to wear or carry your head torch.
Ditto what she said.

Roncesvalles dinner was filling and fine but one of the least inspiring of the trip. This year we plan to cook in the kitchen for ourselves. Breakfast from 7 (ish, and then you queue for ages) - very meagre, not even a second slice of dry bread available! We didn't know about the supermarket in the next village last year. This year we will walk to that then have fresh bread and cheese and fruit - mmm. And coffee from the cafe there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The worst meal on my whole Camino was Roncesvalles, both dinner and breakfast, I would walk many kilometers to avoid eating there again.
I agree, but the company of other pilgrims made the dinner enjoyable. I would definitely not do the breakfast again.

Yes, I too would definitely walk on to Burguete-Auritz for the breakfast.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A bad meal is always made better if shared in good company!
I find 20+km of walking in the Pyrenees sharpens my appetite and makes me a lot less fussy than I might have been otherwise. I would agree that my most recent dinner there was not impressive but I have eaten far worse in other places along the Caminos and paid more for it.

This is exactly my plan for next month...reserved and ready to go! Did you walk the Napoleon or Valcarlos route when you did it?
We took the Napoleon route. Since we were going quite a distance that day, we shared one pack with essentials, which we took turns carrying, and sent the other pack with our sleeping gear, ahead to the hotel.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You will be too bu
It doesn't appear that the accommodations (except Casa Sabina and La Posada) provide any type of meal (dinner or breakfast). Where does a pilgrim get food in Roncesvalles? Is it a scramble to get any sustenance in the morning or is there a bar/cafe/restaurant after Roncesvalles
you will be too buggered to care after that hill. Good resturant in hotel for dinner if your up to it. Breakfast walk to next town. As someone mentioned good cafe in plaza at back.

In Roncesvalles albergue you have vending machines and microwave ovens.
Just a little bit before Burguette, where you hit the tarmac road, there's a shop on the other side. At least it was there in 2011 (6 years ago already???). Also a few tables and benches in nearby shaded park.
I was there in 2010. Don't touch the fruit...you may damage it

In Spain the shop staff choose the fruit or vegetables. So yes, don't touch the fruit. I've never been given anything bad, the owners take pride in choosing for you. The exception is a few big supermarkets.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back