• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eating out in SJPDP?

Darren John

Hello all!

I will be arriving in SJPDP around 4pm and after I've booked in I was wondering where to eat? Long day of air fares and bus rides deserves something great to start my 1st nite of my adventure, any suggestions please?

Much Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello all!
I will be arriving in SJPDP around 4pm and after I've booked in I was wondering where to eat? Long day of air fares and bus rides deserves something great to start my 1st nite of my adventure, any suggestions please?
Much Thanks
Long gone are the times when one could easily find a really good restaurant in France, especially in small, touristic places like SJPdP. Junk-food places are the norm and undemanding pilgrims asking for ever-low prices have not been an incentive to change this.
You might want to browse this list http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...e_Country_Pyrenees_Atlantiques_Aquitaine.html of "the best restaurants in town", a more adequate description would be "the least terrible places". Start walking asap and with a bit of search, you'll be more lucky in Spain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are plenty of good choices on the main thoroughfares/"downtown". Some are pricey, but most post the menu. The more you pay, the better the food!

Buen camino.

I just spent two nights in SJDP last week. There are many places to eat with good Basque cooking. I didn't have any trouble finding something and I didn't research in advance. You can cover the whole town in 15 minutes so take a walk see what you like and then go for it. I'd add to the comment of using TripAdvisor. While the rankings are totally subjective, you get a quick list of what is "known" in any town and a rough idea. Throw out thee high and low opinions and see if it's what you want.

Hello all!

Much Thanks
Hi Darren John, as already stated walk around the town and make your choice, go in and enjoy yourself. Wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lots of restaurant, so take your pick. Unfortunately also lots of tourist food.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back