• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eating up data in Spain

peregrina2000

Staff member
Could some tech whiz please enlighten the rest of us why this happens?? The Movistar SIM I had was doing this, too. Poof....15 gig, gone. For no obvious reason.

Hi, VN, So happy to finally have found someone else who has the same issue. I am going to start a new thread, so maybe we’ll get better ideas. I did get some suggestions the last time I walked and had the same problem. People suggested turning off apps that eat through a lot of data, stuff like that. But that still doesn’t answer the question — why does my same phone with the same settings use way less than 2GB a month at home, and with no increase in data usage, my Spanish SIM card consumes a ton?

What I wound up doing was just leaving my data off all the time except when I was going to use it, which is not that big of a deal, but it is curious.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did that too, but it didn't stop the data drain. I'm also happy not to be the only one. Anyone have answers?
One possibility may lie in a Samsung phone glitch with its Smart Network Switch. The glitch is that if you have set this and are using wifi the phone may notice that the cell network has a stronger connection and will automatically switch.

[Edit: post #20 below describes something similar with iPhones]

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
One possibility may lie in a Samsung phone glitch with its Smart Network Switch. The glitch is that if you have set this and are using wifi the phone may notice that the cell network has a stronger connection and will automatically switch.

I have an iphone. Everyone tells me I should switch to Samsung, but I am captive to the technology I know. :(

Everyone tells me I should switch to Samsung, but I am captive to the technology I know. :(
That cuts both ways. Me too.
Which is precisely what these companies want. ;)

Meanwhile, Rick, thank you. But the fix doesn't either work or apply to my model; I don't know which. But I didn't know about this smart network switch and will plau around with the settings to make sure it's off.

At home, you may actually be on wifi. On the Camino away from town, streaming applications will gobble up data. Turn on Google Maps, for instance, only when you need a quick location check. Otherwise, keep it off.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can only speak for iPhones but the best way to restrict data consumption (outside of just staying in Airplane Mode all the time) is to go into your 'Settings' and go to 'Cellular' and just turn off (Green = on, Grey = off - see attachment for examples where my Netflix app is currently using cellular data but my Prime Video app and Music app are not allowed to use cellular data) every app you don't want to have access to your data package. These apps will still work on wifi but won't eat cellular data any longer.

image1.png

Some more tips:

My next phone will have a. dual SIM, which I hope will allow me to remain contactable on my main number, while giving me a cheap local contract for data. I think there are ways to do the same with call forwarding and so on but it seems like a drag to set up.

Are you sure you actually used the data? How did you check?

I have an iPhone. I reset my cell statistics when I get a SIM (Settings > Cellular > Reset). I check my usage on my phone (Setting > Cellular > Current Period). I have had an Orange SIM the last several times and never had a problem. Checking the data with the Orange app never correctly reported my data usage. :D :cool:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There might be one other reason for eating up data so fast but I have to explain it. I'll try to make it as short as possible.

Last year my companion and myself bought exactly the same Vodafone SIM pre-paid cards. Everything worked well and my companion used all the data until Zamora. We went to Vodafone store and she topped it up for 30€. I didn't because I have SIM card from EU with enough data for whole Camino. Couple of days later her data simply disappeared. No clue what happened. But wi-fi was plenty so we weren't really anxious what was it all about.

Then while we were resting in Cee in the bar at the Carrefour mall we went into Vodafone shop and got the explanation. It's quite simple but seems something like a scam. The guy which spoke pretty good English said that the shop in Zamora didn't choose the right package or in other words the topping up my companion paid wasn't really topped up into her original package but into another one which eats much more data. Or something like that. The guy in Cee warned us that every time we top up SIM card we should wait in the shop for confirmation if purchase was done at all and in what form (package).

Maybe something like this happened to you @peregrina2000 & @VNwalking ???

I never could top up, because the Movistar plan I had didn't allow it. But this is anither wrinkle to beware of, clearly. Thanks K1!
The welter of possible plans and offerings is confusing as heck, and full of expensive pitfalls...buyer beware!

As a data of interest: the GPS apps for following tracks do not need data if you download the necessary maps ahead of coming to Spain, you can perfectly use it in airplane mode.

Lots of great advice above. One other thing to keep in mind, is that your data can expire at some point. Last SIM I bought in Spain came with data (10gb I think) included for 14 days. After 14 days, the data I had remaining disappeared (expired). I could have added load to the phone earlier, but my trip was just 15 days and I didn't need any data on the last day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know, technology engulfs us, overwhelms our daily life in so many subtle, bold and obvious and hidden (secret) ways.
On the San Salvador last year, I dropped my smartypants phone in a stream. I recovered it and it never worked agained (fixed internal battery). I was about a third of the way in, and wanted to walk part of the Primitivo too, At the time I was really devasted as I love photography. I'd purchased that particular phone because of its camera. By the end of the Camino I really didn't care about it and believe I was better for not having the thing working. This year I'm buying a small cheap Nokia, just for emergency purchases. I am searching for a small and cheap digi camera, the 'old' type before smartypants phones.
I'm not going to remind any of my fellow pilgrims how this technology didn't exist not so very long ago, in most of our lifetimes in fact. I won't mention it because you already know that and have heard it before. I wouldn't dare to suggest that we don't need to worry about apps and stuff like that.
Buen Camino to you all.

We checked our data consumption at an Orange store in Abadín. They assured us we had plenty of data left, hadn’t had our SIM card more than 2 weeks. By the time we got to Negreira on our way to Muxia, 8 or 9 days later, we had to top up. We think maybe someone logged on to our hotspot and gobbled up the data.

Does anyone know if that’s possible? Once we topped up, we were fine.

BTW, we used TOPUP.ORANGE.COM to do it, faster and easier than the Orange app.

My next phone will have a. dual SIM, which I hope will allow me to remain contactable on my main number, while giving me a cheap local contract for data.
I just learned about two weeks ago that my phone has an eSIM in addition to a SIM. Essentially an eSIM is a SIM built into the phone. This means my phone is, in effect, a dual SIM. I have a couple ways to switch between which I want to use. When shopping check how it can be used. You may be able to have both active at the same time. This can be really useful at home where you can have a business number and a private number on one phone.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We checked our data consumption at an Orange store in Abadín. They assured us we had plenty of data left, hadn’t had our SIM card more than 2 weeks. By the time we got to Negreira on our way to Muxia, 8 or 9 days later, we had to top up. We think maybe someone logged on to our hotspot and gobbled up the data.

BTW, we used TOPUP.ORANGE.COM to do it, faster and easier than the Orange app.
About the hotspot, I think it may be possible but I would expect that the default setting would be off and a password required. However my settings get changed all the time after putting my phone in my pocket. I'm going to blame it on a pocket imp.

I found out on a webpage today that orange.es may not accept foreign credit cards but topup.orange.com does.

It was an excellent page and I posted about it elsewhere. Here is a copy:

I came across this page that has LOTS of information on providers in Spain, their plans and costs, links to websites and locators to shops, card expirations and more.
https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom.com/wiki/Spain

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good point! Switching off Wi-Fi Assist and switching off all the apps that use cellular data and are not needed, as explained by @jozero, should make a difference. For good measure I also put the battery in Low Power Mode as it temporarily reduces background activity (not sure whether this is sensible advice, it's just a thing I do when on the road). @linkster mentions the option of checking the data usage. I know it's there but I've never used it. But if I were concerned or curious, I'd check and try to compare usage at home and abroad.

And, oh, I'd NEVER switch to Samsung or any other phone. 🙃

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Just shows how little progress I’ve made since last year!

For me the simplest way to solve the problem was to just have data off except for the moments I want to use it. That worked fine. So I don’t really have a problem to solve, but when VN mentioned she had also seen her data consumption skyrocket in Spain, it piqued my interest.

And I think my question is still unanswered. I understand how to minimize data usage in Spain. What I don’t understand is why the data consumption would be so much different in Spain than in the US. Falcon’s comment suggests that maybe I am connected more to wifi in the US than in Spain. Perhaps I should conduct an experiment and see how much data I consume in two weeks if I turn off wifi completely. But then I would have to figure out how to know how much data I am consuming. 😄

I can only speak for iPhones but the best way to restrict data consumption (outside of just staying in Airplane Mode all the time) is to go into your 'Settings' and go to 'Cellular' and just turn off (Green = on, Grey = off - see attachment for examples where my Netflix app is currently using cellular data but my Prime Video app and Music app are not allowed to use cellular data) every app you don't want to have access to your data package. These apps will still work on wifi but won't eat cellular data any longer.

View attachment 61496
This is the surefire way of not going through data without having the fear of turning on your phone or accidentally coming out of Airplane Mode. Photo apps are notorious but anything that connects to a cloud of some sort is suspect. Normal system items will chew through some but not to the same degree as photos, etc. A 10GB Orange SIM lasted me about 35 days earlier this year.

I have never really understood how data plans work in Spain.
Have used Vodafone 3 times now and go through loads of data!

I spend about e200 on data each time...... :(

A clear explanation from a professional 'techy' would be very useful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A theory:

Another possibility is that in the US you pay for the data you receive and in Spain you pay for what is sent to you (just a guess on a possibility; I don't know if this is true). So, for example, your phone may send out a signal every 5 minutes to see if you have email. In rural Spain a cell tower might not see this so your phone is repeatedly sending this request every fraction of a second until it gets a valid reply. When this happens you and the network want to transfer the mail. The network transmits (with no response). It tries again but gets a response from your phone that the data is messed up. The network tries again and this time everything is OK but maybe you are charged 3 times for what you might have been charged if everything clicked the first time.

Maybe this would happen in the US too with the same charging scheme but if you have a strong connection at home there wouldn't be a need for the network to send so much.

If you have any type of data constraint (data thresholds, caps, etc.), it is a good idea to pay attention to your detailed Cellular Data statistics. There are easy ways to see which app (or services) are using data on all modern versions of Android and iOS. Turning off all data or staying in Airplane Mode is not usually an optimal solution (especially if you have family members who want to communicate with you or track your location or if you want "Find my iPhone" or "Find my device" to work).

I do think that sometimes people run out of credit in their prepaid plans when for some reason (e.g., a month passing, etc.) because their plans expire and they start paying high amounts for data usage.
I like telecomm providers who provide an easy way to check your balance, remaining data, minutes, credit balance, etc. Vodafone.nl is good at this, using the MyVodafone (.nl) website or (app in some cases). Vodafone.nl also lets you add credit with a US credit card. Vodafone from other countries may provide similar capabilities, but I an sure about Vodafone.nl because I have recently used it with favorable results in 6 European countries.

¡Buen Camino!

(Attached image is iOS example of data usage)

(Cellular Data Usage iPhone.JPG

Interesting thread, thanks for all contributions. I live in Ireland, and am assured that I have the same privileges ! In Spain as at home. I was not aware of wifi assist, and just checked, so turned it off. All I need really while walking is to know the time, so I can go into plane mode till I reach wifi zones that are secure. My data allowance is a joke, but as I refuse to pay more per month it can stay a joke. Now back to sleep, with wifi off to save battery! And Bluetooth: that swallows battery, whatever about data.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was not aware of wifi assist, and just checked, so turned it off.
Every update of the iOS software for iPhones installs new features. I hadn't been aware of WiFi Assist when it was introduced but I noticed by chance, when in Spain in an accommodation where I was staying, that my iPhone constantly switched between WiFi and 3G while I was browsing. Convenient of course but I immediately put a stop to it.

This kind of automatic switching does not happen at home where my WiFi connections are stable with a strong signal. This is one example where your cellular data usage can be higher when you are not in your usual environment despite not changing your user habits.

About WiFi Assist: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205296
Managing your cellular data: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201299

Note that it's either Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data, depending on the version of English in which your iPhone communicates with you.

Last edited:
A common source of data consumption is apps which are synchronizing with the cloud.
Typical example, if you have set Dropbox to save your pictures, you need to switch off the "Use data connection" switch. Otherwise, it will upload every picture you take just on the spot.
With the actual quality (means size...) of the pictures, this will eat your plan quite fast.
I have used Dropbox as an example only, there is a lot of other apps of his kind which either don't offer the possibility to switch off synchronization or hide it deep in the settings.
For myself, I prefer to switch on the airplane mode and open Wifi only when it is available, or data if really required.
Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

(Attached image is iOS example of data usage)

(View attachment 61514

Looking at this screenshot, I would strongly recommend using the "Offline maps" option in Google Maps; you basically download an area that you might be using in the near future (the larger the area, the larger the file). Google Maps will let you download a map for offline usage. I strongly recommend downloading that map in a WIFI connection, it may take quite a few data depending on the size of the are you pick. When you are in your destination, you can use the offline map and that will let you save LOADS of data if you connect to Google Maps).

I found out on a webpage today that orange.es may not accept foreign credit cards but topup.orange.com does.
I was told in the Orange store that I would not be able to use a foreign credit card to top up or renew online after several unsuccessful tries. I have always done it at a tienda. Thanks for the topporange.com link. :D :cool:

It's worth working your way through the settings on your phone anyway. many people have no idea what is in there, and the defaults can sometimes cost you money or leave you open to security problems.

Any time you are out of your own country it is worth going through the settings on your phone and switching off things like automatic updates, data roaming etc. or at least switching them to WiFi only. Roaming charges are often far higher than you would pay at home and all sorts of things update themselves or carry out actions that you are not aware of and I suspect that's the source for some of the high charges hat people are reporting.

Switch off any auto-connect facilities, otherwise your phone may try to connect to whatever local WiFi or signal it can find.

Different phones vary, you will need to work your way through the settings if you're not familiar with them - or Google for it. Check the privacy settings too, make sure that you have limited access from outside. And put a password PIN or fingerprint to restrict access just in case your phone is stolen.

At home in Australia, I use a pre-paid plan for my iPhone, topping it up monthly. Recently, my data has only lasted a fortnight. This sounds like the same problem as people in Spain were having. My theory is that while waiting for free wi-fi to kick in (for example at a coffee shop or the local swimming pool, and this may take minutes if the place is busy) the phone just used the easier option of the phone plan, thus using it up very quickly. This did not used to happen but it does now! I have turned off wi-fi assist and turned off the green mobile in Settings. My phone is now strictly for phone calls or making sure I am online with free wi-fi.

If you live in the USA, love to travel and are in the market for a new phone check out Google Fi. Their phones work seamlessly all over the world and data is $10 a gig. Use this code: 9X41NM and we'll both get a $20 credit!

Reading all these posts got me checking out my Settings on my iPhone. Under Cellular, at the very bottom, was an option to upload documents and data to the "iCloud Drive" over cellular. This would certainly use up a tremendous amount of data if you selected to save your photos to iCloud automatically on your phone...

We think maybe someone logged on to our hotspot and gobbled up the data.

You would normally be asked to set a password to access the hotspot. If that is weak or shared, others could log onto the hotspot, but whether that would be the problem is difficult to tell.

The other issue, at least for Android phones, is that setting your device as a hotspot will disable wifi, and any downloads, etc will be using your mobile data, not the wifi from cafes, albergues, etc.

Perhaps I should conduct an experiment and see how much data I consume in two weeks if I turn off wifi completely. But then I would have to figure out how to know how much data I am consuming.
For my current Android, the path to data usage statistics is:
Settings / Connections / Data Usage / Mobile Data Usage (if you have dual SIM device, this option is for each SIM). You can then find the usage for each application. I expect that there will be other ways of getting to find out what data each application is using, but this way works fine. This is where you can set whether an individual application can access mobile data.

There is also a selection for wifi data usage on the Data Usage page.

Last edited:
On Vodaphone they round up to the nearest 100mb parcel so it uses data faster. Orange is best. If you buy the “travelEurope” plan you don’t get much data and it’s expensive. Also available on amazon. Using an unlocked phone with Orange you can buy a package per country for cheap. 20euro for 25 gig. “Go fly” Orange. In Portugal, via Vodaphone we got data only 30 gig 15 euro 15 days. So you have to know exactly what you want and all the limits. No texting on the plans

At home, you may actually be on wifi. On the Camino away from town, streaming applications will gobble up data. Turn on Google Maps, for instance, only when you need a quick location check. Otherwise, keep it off.
I used a Vodafone Spain SIM on my Android phone and easily used much less than 2GB a month. I don't turn anything off but I always have my phone setup so that I only download application updates over WiFi. I even managed a few video calls home using my cell phone data when WiFi wasn't available.

I always use Google Maps as it is my go to App for location and I know that it only sips data. Google Maps is never the problem if you are guzzling data.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Looking at this screenshot, I would strongly recommend using the "Offline maps" option in Google Maps; you basically download an area that you might be using in the near future (the larger the area, the larger the file). Google Maps will let you download a map for offline usage. I strongly recommend downloading that map in a WIFI connection, it may take quite a few data depending on the size of the are you pick. When you are in your destination, you can use the offline map and that will let you save LOADS of data if you connect to Google Maps).
Google Maps does not use LOADS of data. It sips data.

If this is a common problem, either turn on Airplane Mode as mentioned before or turn off Data Roaming when you don’t need it. I had no problem last month with a Three UK SIM in an iPhone. Good luck.
3 has the "At home" plan, where data use is the same as in the UK. And WiFi assist is always off on my iPhone. But I think someone was able to log on to my hotspot in the gym a couple of months ago. Would rather use my data now than log on to WiFi at the gym.

Last edited:
Good morning
I have read with interest your question about increased data usage as I have had similar issues in the past. While I am not technologically savvy, my experiences indicate to me that it is not so much an issue of data usage being different in Spain as data usage being different when travelling and not being mostly connected to wifi ( as we are at home)
I first experienced this issue while on a long road trip from Brisbane to Canberra (Australia). I was on a phone plan with little data but in all the time I’d had my iPhone I had never exceeded my data usage. Within 24 hours of leaving home I had been billed for extra data usage although I had barely even used my phone. The next day another charge so I promptly turned my phone off until I could find out what was going on.
Upon arrival at my destination I googled the problem, found that lots of other people had had similar issues, and read a few articles. I am always very careful now when travelling either within my own country or overseas. I have turned off lots of functions suggested in the articles but still turn off my data unless I need to use it as an extra precaution. And this happened within my own country which is why I believe it is more to do with what is happening in the background on our phones when we are not connected to wifi whichever country we are in.
At the risk of overloading you with articles I am including 4 as I seem to remember picking up the odd different tip in a couple.
I would like to say how I always enjoy your information and comments on this site and like your warm and positive way of responding to everyone. I do hope you do not mind a personal message as I don’t usually post on the site.
Kind regards
Barbara Duggan

I seem to be having trouble working out how to attach a link to this. Have copied and pasted the site name but when I try another the first disappears. I’m not all that good with technology. I’ll copy and paste each in a separate message although I’d really prefer to send as a link but not sure how to do it.

Any phone that has access to various clouds of any form, that utilize location services does this. While I am am not entirely sure, I do believe that location services is what starts the snowball effect of many of the clouds suddenly deciding that data must be moved because of the location change. Best to do that adjustment via wifi whilst all cellular data options are off.

And Google Maps and other maps can use more than expected if using the Satellite view over the generic. Not huge overall but that can be saved by downloading offline versions.

I'm not going to remind any of my fellow pilgrims how this technology didn't exist not so very long ago, in most of our lifetimes in fact. I won't mention it because you already know that and have heard it before. I wouldn't dare to suggest that we don't need to worry about apps and stuff like that.
Buen Camino to you all.

I absolutely agree that we don't need to worry about apps and stuff like that. However, that doesn't mean we can't/shouldn't benefit from them. Medieval pilgrims didn't have modern backpacks. That doesn't mean I want to carry my belongings the way they did. Heck, when I did my first Camino there was no Brierley. And it is very possible to walk without worrying about any guide book at all. But some people seem to find that they benefit from them.

It's a good thing you didn't remind/mention/suggest any of those things.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I absolutely agree that we don't need to worry about apps and stuff like that. However, that doesn't mean we can't/shouldn't benefit from them. Medieval pilgrims didn't have modern backpacks. That doesn't mean I want to carry my belongings the way they did. Heck, when I did my first Camino there was no Brierley. And it is very possible to walk without worrying about any guide book at all. But some people seem to find that they benefit from them.

It's a good thing you didn't remind/mention/suggest any of those things.
Back packs of any form are essential, small or what ever size you need to carry, cloth sacks or modern rucksacs. Modern technology is intrusive and anoying to many of us. I know I'm not alone in this. Its intrusive - I've been awoken early during the night when someone's phone alert goes off (more than one and often) - text of call, or the light from a phone or pad is disturbing the peace and darkness while someone reads or writes. There's no comparison/analogy to be made here, apart from the disturbance of snoring, even then technology can be more annoying. Perhaps more respect for others is needed, rather than random phone alerts in the middle of the night or talking to callers. A good and respectful balance is needed for one another, as was the case in medieval times, I'm sure.
K

Modern technology is intrusive and anoying to many of us.
True, but how modern is "modern"? For example, my husband is annoyed by most street lights and would rather live on a street without any. By the way, he doesn't use a smart phone either, but happily he does not suggest that I shouldn't. My phone is automatically set for blocking notifications at night.
A good and respectful balance is needed for one another
For sure!
as was the case in medieval times, I'm sure.
Tongue in cheek, I assume ;)

We do all know what Keith is referring to when he says 'modern,' @C clearly. ;)
And I so wish your good example would be followed by all the people in albergues talking, texting, and receiving notifications in the middle of the night.

I have a smartphone, and use it on the camino - primarily for maps and books - so I'm hardly a Luddite.
It's not the technology that's the problem, it's the lack of that respect and balance that too many people show. this year, I really loved staying in both San Anton and San Nicholas (near Itero de la Vega), albergues which have no electricity. There is still atmosphere there - and yes, we were talking to each other, as well as reading books, and sleeping quietly.

The other issue, at least for Android phones, is that setting your device as a hotspot will disable wifi, and any downloads, etc will be using your mobile data, not the wifi from cafes, albergues, etc.

Hmmm. Never occurred to me. Something to look into.

Back packs of any form are essential, small or what ever size you need to carry, cloth sacks or modern rucksacs. Modern technology is intrusive and annoying to many of us. I know I'm not alone in this. Its intrusive - I've been awoken early during the night when someone's phone alert goes off (more than one and often) - text of call, or the light from a phone or pad is disturbing the peace and darkness while someone reads or writes. There's no comparison/analogy to be made here, apart from the disturbance of snoring, even then technology can be more annoying. Perhaps more respect for others is needed, rather than random phone alerts in the middle of the night or talking to callers. A good and respectful balance is needed for one another, as was the case in medieval times, I'm sure.
K
Perhaps I was unclear. I wasn't meaning to suggest that people can't be annoying with modern technology nor that everyone appreciates it. I was simply suggesting that while not strictly necessary, many people find it useful. Modern guidebooks are similar in that they are not strictly necessary but many find them useful. Of course, useful though they may be, people should use them considerately. Random phone alerts or phone conversations in the middle of the night are inconsiderate. People can be similarly inconsiderate without phones having late night conversations in the dorm, turning on the room lights when others wish to sleep (either upon late arrival or to facilitate an early departure, both of which are not unknown). People without phones can make noise unpacking and repacking their backpack before an early departure. If one is ready to be inconsiderate, there are plenty of opportunities with and without phones.

I can certainly agree with you, however, that more respect for others is needed.

€83,-
We do all know what Keith is referring to when he says 'modern,' @C clearly. ;)
And I so wish your good example would be followed by all the people in albergues talking, texting, and receiving notifications in the middle of the night.

I have a smartphone, and use it on the camino - primarily for maps and books - so I'm hardly a Luddite.
And that was my point. If you have a smart phone and use it on the camino, presumably you find it useful and of some benefit. It certainly may not be essential, but many find them beneficial and useful. I wasn't saying (as Redhead Keith seemed to be reading into my message) that it was okay to be inconsiderate with phones. Just that they were not completely without value as was being implied.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.