• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eating vegan diet on the Camino

JoEllen

Time of past OR future Camino
I eat a plant based diet - no meat, no fish, no dairy, no eggs. Will I be able to sustain that while walking the Camino? I have read that the markets will have fresh vegetables, fruits and beans (canned), but that means I will likely have to find albergues where I can cook. Does anyone know if I will be able to get pilgrim meals that will be plant based? Will I have to cook my own meals? Should I just go to a vegetarian (eggs, cheese, dairy) diet?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi JoEllen,

I found it fairly easy to eat vegetarian while on my C Frances last year. I wouldn't want to try it vegan though. I found that I had to compromise a few times - I ordered lentil soup once and had to eat around shredded ham (Edit: This is the level of compromise I mean, I never attacked a steak!). Meat stock is almost always used in soups. Although you might have an easier time with Galician soups. You will often hear jokes about tuna being a vegetable in Spain - meaning, if you ask for a vegetarian salad you will be asked whether you want it with tuna.

Spaniards eat a lot of meat. However, along the Camino, cafes, restaurants and supermarkets are more likely to cater to the "unusual" dietary habits of some caminotarians. Small supermarkets sell jars and cans of chick peas, beans and - even salad! I stocked up on nuts in the larger towns. Cheese and eggs and yoghurt are available everywhere. I got to like a particular supermarket chain called "Dia" which had more to offer vegetarians IMHO. (Edit: I just changed the supermarket name - I had incorrectly called it "Dina")

You can get an app called Happy Cow with which you can find vegetarian and vegan restaurants all along the Camino (and all over the world). They also list restaurants and cafes that have vego and vegan options.

There have been many posts about this matter. Have a search, you'll find a lot of info.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice from @Mike Trebert
I don't think pilgrim menus cater to vegans, and make a nod to vegetarians, but like Mike says, you don't know what stock was used. Cheese almost certainly has rennet in.
For a snapshot, the standard 'sandwich vegetal' has meat AND fish in it, that tells you all you need to know! Vegetal here means 'with salad in'.

@JoEllen If you want to be a vegan in Spain, it is technically possible, but meeting your dietary needs will dominate your plans and time. It could also mean you can't be as sociable as you would like. Do you want that? It depends how important it is to you, which only you know.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My daughter is vegetarian, but eats seafood. Besides canned tuna, how readily available is fish along the Camino, especially between Leon and Santiago?

There will usually be at least one fish option on a spanish menu.

I walked a few days with a vegan last year and he often subsisted on a 'raw food' plant diet.

I have since started to eat a plant based diet, although in the early stages of this new regime and possibly willing to compromise when necessary.

Salad is almost always available in bars and restaurants and I guess you could ask for a side dish of rice or potatoes. Often vegetables are not fresh, but tinned and very unappetising!

Good luck with your quest and buen camino!

My daughter is vegetarian, but eats seafood.
With respect, @jackchri , that's actually not a vegetarian diet. Though come to think of it by Spanish standards...
Walking as a lacto-ovo vegetarian is relatively easy if a bit monotonous--but as @Mike Trebert said in his very good post, I'm not sure I'd want to try walking as a vegan. That would be a whole lot harder. One thing to add, though, is that nuts are easily available all along the way, and a good source of protein.
Pilgrim menus and the menu del dia are not usually so vegetarian friendly, but I have found people to be (usually) quite accommodating. Sopa de Ajo is a lifesaver, as are tiendas along the way with fresh veggies.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My daughter is vegetarian, but eats seafood. Besides canned tuna, how readily available is fish along the Camino, especially between Leon and Santiago?
In some parts of the world, tuna is regarded as a potential source of dangerous, concentrated levels of toxic heavy metals. Tuna is a large fish, near the top of the food chain.

I've been thinking similar thoughts JoEllen in relation to my own lifestyle.

I even joked with my wife about packing our blender the other night so I could make some green smoothies along the way! lol On my first and only Camino so far, walking from Porto to Santiago we carried lots of dried fruit, nuts and seeds. I bought bags and bags of pumpkin seeds and mixed them with the dried fruits (cranberries were my favourite!) and nuts into a container.

I've considered the options again this year when we go and I'll probably do the same again, as well as taking a little extra cash so we can buy more fresh produce. It's surprising how much energy we found in eating small amounts often from our stash of nuts, seeds and berries rather than eating at regular intervals or even regular meals at all.

Good luck. I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

As a lacto-ovo vegetarian, I really struggled on the Frances. By the time I reached Santiago, I felt malnourished. IMHO, the best route for a vegetarian is the Le Puy route in France, where I ate like a queen. That said, I am giving the Frances another shot this May. In preparation, I took an accommodation list and added yellow highlighting of recommended vegetarian friendly spots. The blue highlighting shows my anticipated stages. I am attaching it in case it is of use to you.

Edit: Wow! The list keeps growing leaps and bounds. Thanks to @michaelwalker, I've updated it with the places from his recommended site that I didn't already have - the list is up to about 100 places!!!

Attachments

• Albergues CF + Veg Food 31 Days.pdf
    577.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wholeheartedly suggest stepping over to the dark side and consuming lot's of butchered animal flesh and cold beer while walking the Camino. It's everywhere.
;)
I've always wanted to try Scotch Tape flavoured ice cream and shoe polish pasta sauce. Smells great = good for the tummy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I also think the motivations behind your dietary choices are relevant to the kinds of compromises you might consider. For example, if the plant diet is more a health kick than an animal welfare thing for you, personally I would abandon it for the duration. There's not much that's better for your health than a 500 mile walk: you really can eat ham sandwiches, chicken and chips and an orange or two and emerge looking a glowing picture of health. If you are more concerned about animal rights, then switching to fishatarian and snacking on bags of almonds is very viable.

Last edited:
I have talked to a number of vegans and vegetarians and unfortunately their Camino is mostly a quest to adhere to their diet to the exclusion of pretty much everything else. Literally the one guy we walked with on and off last year was so focused on the difficulties of adhering to his vegan diet that we started to avoid him as he was not much fun to be around. The Spanish love their meat pure and simple and unless your Spanish is excellent, you will have a hard time adhering to your chosen diet.
Consider as well, you daily calorie burn is enormous on the Camino, very easy to get malnourished.
Not making a judgement here, but consider putting your specific diet on hold or give in a few areas. You will have a much more enjoyable Camino rather than being focused all the time on what you are eating.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
:D@Mark Lee, Lots of things are everywhere. Like the things I step around in Galicia. You can eat them if you like but I'll pass, thanks.:p
Actually here at home I've reduced my meat intake to about twice a week. I mostly eat egg whites, a couple of whole eggs a week, nuts and legumes (lot's of black beans).
It's just on the Camino by dinner time I was very hungry. I imagine the daily caloric burn of walking with a backpack is high. I was never choosy with pilgrim's menus, ha ha. They all (almost all) tasted great to me. I guess hunger is the best sauce, ha ha.

Not making a judgement here, but consider putting your specific diet on hold or give in a few areas. You will have a much more enjoyable Camino rather than being focused all the time on what you are eating.

First, to be clear, I will eat just about anything that doesn't eat me first.:D:D My wife of 42 years, however, is vegetarian. Since I'm retired and love to cook, I'm the chef de cuisine at La Casa del Rowe.

Many non-vegetarians make the assumption that such a diet is purely voluntary/temporary/ faddish, and can be "set aside" for a while. Others assume that vegetarians are trying to limit their caloric intake.

We all know what frequently happens when we ASS/U/ME. ;)

I'm here to say, as one meat-eater to other meat-eaters, that these assumptions are generally (though not universally) false.

A word to the wise and all that....

Last edited:
First, to be clear, I will eat just about anything that doesn't eat me first.:D:D My wife of 42 years, however, is vegetarian. Since I'm retired and love to cook, I'm the chef de cuisine at La Casa del Rowe.

Many non-vegetarians make the assumption that such a diet is purely voluntary/temporary/ faddish, and can be "set aside" for a while. Others assume that vegetarians are trying to limit their caloric intake.

I'm here to say, as one meat-eater to other meat-eaters, that these assumptions are generally (though not universally) false.

Was not making a judgement, I know people have specific reasons why they adopt a certain diet other than it being the fad of the day.
My observation is that as long as you or your wife are fluent in Spanish, then you should have not much problem making sure your meals meet her requirements.
Lacking fluency in Spanish will make the task more difficult.
Of course some waiters will understand English, but you can't count on this.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As a lacto-ovo vegetarian, I really struggled on the Frances. By the time I reached Santiago, I felt malnourished. IMHO, the best route for a vegetarian is the Le Puy route in France, where I ate like a queen. That said, I am giving the Frances another shot this May. In preparation, I took an accommodation list and added yellow highlighting of recommended vegetarian friendly spots. The blue highlighting shows my anticipated stages. I am attaching it in case it is of use to you.
Thank you for sharing this. :D

Thank you Glenn. It is hard to explain that absolute cornerstone of choosing plant-based living sometimes. Ask anyone how it feels when they go against their own values and moral fibre...it hurts. Absolutely no disrespect to the Spanish people when we talk about the challenges their cuisine may bring to some of us. We all compromise when we embark upon a journey such as the Camino, but some of us are having to try even harder. That's all. :)

switching to fishatarian and snacking on bags of almonds is very viable.
Ah, but commercial fishing destroys the oceans, as does farm fishing. Let's not even talk about shark fining - finning that is :cool:. Lots goes into deciding what seafood and fish to eat, just like when eating land animals. ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Heard today on the radio that Portugal has a new since March that forces public cafeterias (schools, hospitals, prisons) to offer a vegan option every day.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/10/it-is...ns-hospitals-and-schools-in-portugal-6501872/

When I read that I actually looked at the calendar to see if it was 1 April!

I understand that making moral compromises is hard. If it's just not worth it for you, or totally impractical, then you'll have to stay at home where you can control everything you eat. Travel always involves moral compromises. Eg I have travelled for 3 months in India, where it's very easy to be a vegetarian but it's human life that is cheap. I learned that beggars are often controlled by pimps who take all their money and sometimes maim them to make them better earners. Rather than try to decide who was a 'worthy' and independent beggar, I didn't give money to any of them. So someone might call me morally compromised, mean and heartless. I chose not to stay at home, but had to expose myself to such difficult moral dilemmas and distressing situations in order to see the world. We are lucky and wealthy enough to have these choices.

I don't actually think that fluency in Spanish makes it much easier to get vegetarian food. There is a fundamental culture of meat eating in Spain whereby people in rural areas simply cannot understand that vegetarian means NO meat. I have asked for vegetarian food for a friend, and been told it is, even asked for all the ingredients (in Spanish), and it arrived with flecks of ham in. It's like if it's chopped small enough, or it's in the stock, it doesn't count. It's not a language issue. In India, 'vegetarian' means does contain dairy but doesn't contain eggs; 'Pure vegetarian' means cooked in a kitchen where meat has never been cooked, by someone who is vegetarian (it's almost like Kosher); vegan isn't a thing at all. Nothing I can say can change these perceptions or norms. If I ask for a ham sandwich in Saudi Arabia I am not going to get very far. I am foreign, I live with it or stay at home.

Last edited:

Thanks, Glen. Almost 50 years for me, so a serious philosophical and moral commitment, not a whim. (Also, currently an environmental/ecological response, but I've been accused of being ideological about that one)

Buen Camino, - Mike

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Was not making a judgement...

I agree; you weren't. It appeared, however, that your post was based on a faulty assumption (as were others). I attempted to provide the correct information.

If I misunderstood, I sincerely apologize.

Let's not even talk about shark fining.

Look out, World! My joking DNA has taken control of my fingers! :D:D:p:p:D:D

Who levies fines on sharks, for what, and how much?

[Yup, I know you meant "shark finning" and that your keyboard rebelled or something. I intend no offense to you, and agree that killing sharks just for their dorsal fins -- or possibly worse, taking the fins & throwing them back into the ocean -- is unconscionable.]

I walked as a vegan in 2015 . Very difficult . In the larger towns I could find tofu & peanut butter and carry them in your pack . You can find fruit and veggies everywhere . It's impossible to trust anything off a restaurant menu. Fish and pork are considered vegetables .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked in the company of a vegan for about 5 days. He seemed to survive on a diet of tinned chick peas and dark chocolate. Mrs Ian Afloat found herself starting to eat chicken when we toured the Meseta, Asturias and Galicia by motorcycle back in 2008 (my first encounter with the Camino) simply because she couldn't survive on a diet of tortilla and potatas bravas.

Thank you, Glen. There's not a big enough 'like' button for this post.
switching to fishatarian
Fish are not lower forms of life, but sentient beings as well. And pulpo? Octopus are seriously smart.

I have talked to a number of vegans and vegetarians and unfortunately their Camino is mostly a quest to adhere to their diet to the exclusion of pretty much everything else.
Consider as well, you daily calorie burn is enormous on the Camino, very easy to get malnourished.
I've walked with ease and without the least 'malnutrition' (!!) as a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Those folks must have been on another camino planet.;)

Sure, it can be monotonous--but you can't be fussy, is all. Take what's available and if you need nutrients or variety there is always the tienda for fruit, veggies, nuts, and decent dairy products and yogurt. There is abundance if you seek it out, or lack if that's what you choose to obsess about.

I'm a lacto ovo vegetarian. I found while not easy , it was possible. I ate so many Spanish tortillas, omelettes that I dont think I ate eggs for a year after my first time on Camino (though I never got sick of fries ). For my next one, I found that I like to self cater , and I don't mind eating most things over and over at restaurants. Be very specific when ordering salad "sin atun" . they have lots of great fruits and vegetables, nuts. I think a vegan diet would be doable, I just wouldn't count on much variety of items at restaurants.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Fish are not lower forms of life, but sentient beings as well. And pulpo? Octopus are seriously smart.

I didn't mean they were not sentient, it's just that in Spain, they are not kept in factory farming conditions, whereas eggs often come from chickens that are. Sorry to tell the lacto veggies that cows are often kept chained up in combined milking / feeder barns in Spain (called ganaderías), whereas in England, they go back to the pasture after milking. Now how do you feel about your yogurt?

Each person has to find out what they can, and decide what's important to them. I make it my business to talk to farmers and even go in their animal barns, because I enjoy learning about it.

Here is a picture of a farmer proudly showing me his milking apparatus. But the cow behind him is much too skinny, in my opinion:
IMG_1985.jpg

Last edited:
I eat a plant based diet - no meat, no fish, no dairy, no eggs. Will I be able to sustain that while walking the Camino? I have read that the markets will have fresh vegetables, fruits and beans (canned), but that means I will likely have to find albergues where I can cook. Does anyone know if I will be able to get pilgrim meals that will be plant based? Will I have to cook my own meals? Should I just go to a vegetarian (eggs, cheese, dairy) diet?

My daughter went to Spain as a university exchange student 15 years ago. (She was in Vigo in Galicia). Maybe things have changed since then? She was a vegetarian and had been for a very long time. Within a couple of weeks she wrote home and said that if she tried to be vegetarian in Spain she would starve, so she had made the decision to eat meat. Not to dissuade you from planning and trying to do it, but just as information in your quest to plan your camino.

I can help a little with two places where I stayed that had vegan options or were totally vegan. La Mochila in Itero de la Vega - a couple of days into the Meseta has vegan options on their menu. And Albergue Verde in Hospital de Obrigo a (long) day's walk from Leon, has an organic garden and they serve a delicious vegan meal from their own veggies. One of the best meals that I had on the Camino. Somewhere along the Camino I did see a pamplet of vegetarian/vegan options on the Camino. As an omnivore I didn't pick it up, but the information is out there.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I read that I actually looked at the calendar to see if it was 1 April!

I understand that making moral compromises is hard. If it's just not worth it for you, or totally impractical, then you'll have to stay at home where you can control everything you eat. Travel always involves moral compromises. Eg I have travelled for 3 months in India, where it's very easy to be a vegetarian but it's human life that is cheap. I learned that beggars are often controlled by pimps who take all their money and sometimes maim them to make them better earners. Rather than try to decide who was a 'worthy' and independent beggar, I didn't give money to any of them. So someone might call me morally compromised, mean and heartless. I chose not to stay at home, but had to expose myself to such difficult moral dilemmas and distressing situations in order to see the world. We are lucky and wealthy enough to have these choices.

I don't actually think that fluency in Spanish makes it much easier to get vegetarian food. There is a fundamental culture of meat eating in Spain whereby people in rural areas simply cannot understand that vegetarian means NO meat. I have asked for vegetarian food for a friend, and been told it is, even asked for all the ingredients (in Spanish), and it arrived with flecks of ham in. It's like if it's chopped small enough, or it's in the stock, it doesn't count. It's not a language issue. In India, 'vegetarian' means does contain dairy but doesn't contain eggs; 'Pure vegetarian' means cooked in a kitchen where meat has never been cooked, by someone who is vegetarian (it's almost like Kosher); vegan isn't a thing at all. Nothing I can say can change these perceptions or norms. If I ask for a ham sandwich in Saudi Arabia I am not going to get very far. I am foreign, I live with it or stay at home.
One must draw a line and decide just how perfect one can't manage to be. I'm a long-time vegetarian and vegan when I can manage it - at home, mostly. But if I were a vegan I would constantly ask myself how far to go: leather? wool? honey? sable hair watercolour brushes? Some types of beer are apparently filtered through animal bones. Cheeses are made with rennet. Taking milk from cows does harm on an enormous scale. I took an anti-vegetarian out for dinner in Santiago at a very good middle-eastern restaurant. He chose his food and I pointed out to him after dinner that he had eaten a vegan meal - he seemed surprised.

In some cultures, people eat sheep but not dogs, or cows but not horses, or prawns but not worms, brains and snails and oysters but not eyeballs, etc., etc., etc. We all "draw a line" for all kinds of reasons. Prisoners eat rats. I listened to a radio play many years ago (announced as a true story) about a group of Russian soldiers who were locked in a fortress prison by retreating German soldiers and forgotten for weeks. Two men survived, all the others had been eaten. One of the survivors went permanently utterly insane, the other told the story calmly in great detail, after their trial he changed his name and disappeared.

There are many factors at play but when one starts to enquire about the consequences of all of one's actions, then many choices are made. There's no end to puzzling it out, but it seems to me that it's infantile to regard it as a waste of time. Some questions seem not to have answers. I think that sometimes the answer is being able to ask the question. The more one enquires, the more alive and awake one becomes, IMHO.

Buen Camino, - Mike

There are many factors at play but when one starts to enquire about the consequences of all of one's actions, then many choices are made. There's no end to puzzling it out, but it seems to me that it's infantile to regard it as a waste of time. Some questions seem not to have answers. I think that sometimes the answer is being able to ask the question. The more one enquires, the more alive and awake one becomes.
Mine too, Mike--and for me it's both experience and opinion borne from that experience. So thank you for saying that, especially the bolded part--because there are way more questions than answers.

One thing to add is that I make my decisions as regards my diet, completely understanding that other people are other people--and if they choose to eat meat without reflecting about the bigger picture, well, it's their life and their choice. There have been rare exceptions to that, but they've arisen out of quite specific conditions, that hardly ever come together. So 99.99% of the time it's none of my business what others eat and I don't make waves.
What I don't understand is why some non-vegetarians make my food their business. It's not.

(And just to be clear: here I'm not referring to @Mark Lee's joke, which I thought was funny; I'm referring to people--strangers--who pressure me to eat meat, or try to shame me publicly for not doing so. The same goes for alcohol, by the way, but that's another story...)
[Edit for spelling and clarity]

Last edited:

Attachments

• mapaveg actual 28.06.2015.jpg
    mapaveg actual 28.06.2015.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 12
@JoEllen my son is a vegan and last year walking the VdlP I met a couple of other vegans who were really struggling to stick to their diets... both said they could find vegetarian options but not vegan. Having said that the VdlP is a very different walk to the CF and there are a lot more shopping/eating choices for you and albergues where you can cook too.

I do think times are changing too; I live in rural France and we now even have a take-away vegan pizza choice!

When my son started his vegan diet, hand on heart, I sighed and rolled my eyes... inside I was saying "Really?!" I thought it was a flash in the pan... he did it to lose weight and build muscle and previous to this he ate A LOT of meat. But, he's stuck to it now for nearly 2 years and I have to say I'm proud of his determination. He's 18 and we live surrounded by beef and duck farms... this is rural France and we are in Foie Gras country.

At first he tried to convert us daily with very forceful opinions but now he's more relaxed about it... but this approach has been more effective as I am slowly turning vegan myself. The more he talks to me about his reasons, and the more I learn different ways of cooking, the more I enjoy his food. I am understanding his reasons more and I'm immensely proud that he is making strong choices based on principles.

Good luck and I hope you have a great walk!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've cooked quite satisfactorily for vegetarians and vegans, including IIRC even on the Camino, despite not being one myself, but as far as I can tell, it's probably better to accept a vegetarian compromise on the Way (and even accept the odd piece of meat or fish when the only alternative might be to starve instead or to insult someone) than to impose strict veganism where it might not be possible. Eggs in the ubiquitous tortilla, most notably, may become socially unavoidable at one point or another.

In the "middle section" between about Logroño and Ponferrada you should gain a lot more control over your food intake, as that is where the cooking facilities have yet to be totally ruined by touristification, though once you build up more familiarity with Spain, as you go along, you will find more and more ways to keep more strictly to the diet.

I'd suggest aiming for the rice & veg, veggie pasta, bread & veggie (esp. bread & tomatoes), olive oil, chick peas & other beans, and other such local vegetarian stuff as a basis for that Camino -- including if you wish to share.

You might wish to consider packing some lightweight aluminium cooking gear for Galicia and elsewhere, where fitted kitchens but not cookery tools might be available.

I walked last year with my daughter who eats only a vegan diet. It was challenging at times. We stocked up on muesli/nut bars whenever possible. She ate a lot of fruit, nuts, and a lot of chips, Doritos and Oreos. Many of the larger towns had vegan/vegetarian restaurants. We googled them every time we came to a bigger town and always managed to find something. Most of the cafes in the smaller towns were most accommodating. My daughter would say 'Soy vegano No tomo carne, pescado, mariscos, huevos, leche, queso o derivados'. Mostly the option was pasta with tomato/vegetable sauce. It was still important to remind the cafe owner of 'sin queso'. The better option was to cook our own meals and this was an option in many places. From Astorga (?) there is a group called 'Vegetarian Camino'(?). Many or the albergues have information if you ask. The better option may be to eat eggs and dairy during your trip. When you get to Santiago there are two excellent vegetarian restaurants Malak Bistro(€€€) and Entre Pedras (€). Also Casa Alongos(€) in Melide (awesome vegan burger- gorgeous host). If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

I am not super familiar with veganism, but think that it implies to consuming anything that come from animals, and that this is a choice mostly made for ethical issues. Right?

Running errands in my car yesterday, polluting to doubt, I wondered what impact this could have on biodiversity in terms of breeds of chickens and other fowl, as well as breeds of sheep, cows, etc. I also wondered if vegans would be ok with free range eggs and milk from small family farms?

I believe we each draw a line somewhere to defend something that is important to us. My thing is shark: you sell it or serve it, I don't shop or eat at your place, and make a point of letting you know why. I also only eat tuna caught responsibly, which limits my eating options in Spain as canned tuna is an inexpensive, high quality protein and readily available even in the smallest shop in the smallest hamlet.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am not super familiar with veganism, but think that it implies to consuming anything that come from animals, and that this is a choice mostly made for ethical issues. Right?

There is no simple/universal answer to this question. For some vegans, that's correct. For others it isn't.

Running errands in my car yesterday, polluting to doubt, I wondered what impact this could have on biodiversity in terms of breeds of chickens and other fowl, as well as breeds of sheep, cows, etc. I also wondered if vegans would be ok with free range eggs and milk from small family farms?

True vegans will not consume anything that comes from "anything with a face" (a simplification that seems to work). Eggs come from birds, and birds have faces. Milk, and by extension all dairy products, come from cows/goats, etc. They also have faces.

There is no simple/universal answer to this question. For some vegans, that's correct. For others it isn't.

True vegans will not consume anything that comes from "anything with a face" (a simplification that seems to work). Eggs come from birds, and birds have faces. Milk, and by extension all dairy products, come from cows/goats, etc. They also have faces.
Some vegans have a much broader view. Some won't use wool because sheep are often harmed while being shorn. Some won't wear silk or use honey because insects are used and abused.

It can all sound pretty crazy to someone used to a western, meat-eating culture. The vegan ideal seems to be live and let live, that is, we live our lives and we respect the lives of other living creatures enough to not only not kill and eat them but to not take over their lives for our own purposes. Current concern re a more detailed world view prompts curiosity and enquiry about all of humanity's habits and its most responsible role in the world.

Circuses in most of developed world countries no longer use "trained" animals, because how do you train a lion to obey? You starve it and torture it and make it fear you (Edit: American Ringling Brothers circus closed January 2017 after 146 years. They removed elephants from their show last year as a result of pressure from animal rights activists). Sea World in San Diego, California has closed the Orca attraction because of the social/financial backlash to the horror shown in the documentary "Black Fish" (Edit: Orca attraction will close "in 2017" as a result of a court order which enforces an end to Seaworld San Diego's breeding program). There are moves afoot to have higher apes legally recognised as "non-human persons", at least I think that's the term being used. I've seen a TV report of tests done with chimpanzees to test speed of recognition/memory response. The scientist who designed the tests was a mixture of shocked, bewildered and embarrassed because the chimps scored much higher on the tests than any human could manage. It was astonishing to see their hands flicker across the touch screens faster than I could comprehend what they were doing! Zoos are regarded by some people as prisons, but it's a sadly complex issue - some animals are protected by zoos from extinction. Why, because many animals are hunted by poachers for the supposed medical benefits of horns and penises or because elephant tusks are worth a lot of money to desperate or greedy people. (Edit: March 7th, 2017 - Poachers have shot, killed and removed the horn of a rhino using a chainsaw, in a French zoo. As a result of this, a Chzec zoo has removed the horns of its rhinos as a precaution.)

Factors such as the ones mentioned in the previous paragraph contribute to many vegans' deep concern about humanity's relationship to our fellow animals.

We humans sometimes feel that we have the right to behave as this planet's superior animal. Some religions assert this attitude so it seems to me that this mindset can become a bad habit.

There are changes afoot whether we like it or not. If we want to think of ourselves as the most dominant and intelligent animal on earth then I think we should: start thinking of ourselves as one of a myriad animal species and not gods; and most importantly, start behaving like the most intelligent animal. One could argue that we much too often behave in a very self-centred, ignorant, cruel and greedy way.

Enjoy your lunch.

Mike

Some vegans have a much broader view. Some won't use wool because sheep are often harmed while being shorn. Some won't wear silk or use honey because insects are used and abused.

It can all sound pretty crazy to someone used to a western, meat-eating culture. The vegan ideal seems to be live and let live, that is, we live our lives and we respect the lives of other living creatures enough to not only not kill and eat them but to not take over their lives for our own purposes. Current concern re a more detailed world view prompts curiosity and enquiry about all of humanity's habits and its most responsible role in the world.

Circuses in most of developed world countries no longer use "trained" animals, because how do you train a lion to obey? You starve it and torture it and make it fear you (Edit: American Ringling Brothers circus closed January 2017 after 146 years. They removed elephants from their show last year as a result of pressure from animal rights activists). Sea World in San Diego, California has closed the Orca attraction because of the social/financial backlash to the horror shown in the documentary "Black Fish" (Edit: Orca attraction will close "in 2017" as a result of a court order which enforces an end to Seaward San Diego's breeding program). There are moves afoot to have higher apes recognised as "non-human persons", at least I think that's the term being used. I've seen a TV report of tests done with chimpanzees to test speed of recognition/memory response. The scientist who designed the tests was a mixture of shocked, bewildered and embarrassed because the chimps scored much higher on the tests than any human could manage. It was astonishing to see their hands flicker across the touch screens faster than I could comprehend what they were doing! Zoos are regarded by some people as prisons, but it's a sadly complex issue - some animals are protected by zoos from extinction. Why, because many animals are hunted by poachers for the supposed medical benefits of horns and penises or because elephant tusks are worth a lot of money to desperate or greedy people. (Edit: March 7th, 2017 - Poachers have shot, killed and removed the horn of a rhino using a chainsaw, in a French zoo. As a result of this, a Chzec zoo has removed the horns of its rhinos as a precaution.)

Factors such as the ones mentioned in the previous paragraph contribute to many vegans' deep concern about humanity's relationship to our fellow animals.

We humans sometimes feel that we have the right to behave as this planet's superior animal. Some religions assert this attitude so it seems to me that it becomes part of a pattern of an habitual mindset.

There are changes afoot whether we like it or not. If we want to think of ourselves as the most dominant and intelligent animal on earth then I think we should: start thinking of ourselves as one of a myriad animal species and not gods; and most importantly, start behaving like the most intelligent animal. One could argue that we much too often behave in a very self-centred, ignorant, cruel and greedy way.

Enjoy your lunch.

Mike
Amen to that Mike. We are One...all of us existing on this big beautiful jewel, we are all connected via the Web of Life. Humancentrism will be the end of us if we don't switch to Biocentrism....a love and respect for ALL life. It's so simple, it's crazy!

Amen, @Mike Trebert , Amen.
True vegans will not consume anything that comes from "anything with a face"
"Anything with eyes" is probably a more inclusive way of putting it.

A friend's outraged 6 year -old daughter put it this way when faced with a plate of lapin: "I don't eat the Easter Bunny!!!"
:D

Out of the mouths of babes. Once we really connect with others (any species of others) it's awfully hard to eat them. If you eat pulpo, think of Inky and his clan.;)

Amen to that Mike. We are One...all of us existing on this big beautiful jewel, we are all connected via the Web of Life. Humancentrism will be the end of us if we don't switch to Biocentrism....a love and respect for ALL life. It's so simple, it's crazy!
So I ask the question I asked Mike. If we stop eating things with eyes, will we not decrease biodiversity since we will no longer breed all sorts of cows, chcikens, sheep, etc.? I understand very well the horrible conditions of industrial production, so wondering about "happy meat", eggs from chicken from one's backyard, and perhaps only eating meat one has hunted/killed themselves. Would that not be more humane and sustainable?

Amen, @Mike Trebert , Amen.

"Anything with eyes" is probably a more inclusive way of putting it.

A friend's outraged 6 year -old daughter put it this way when faced with a plate of lapin: "I don't eat the Easter Bunny!!!"
:D

Out of the mouths of babes. Once we really connect with others (any species of others) it's awfully hard to eat them. If you eat pulpo, think of Inky and his clan.;)
Love pulpo, but always feel irky about cooking it because I have spent hours watching them play and swim in the ocean. Boy are they smart. I draw the line at not eating baby octopus: at least they get to get to reproduction age and be sustainable.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So I ask the question I asked Mike. If we stop eating things with eyes, will we not decrease biodiversity since we will no longer breed all sorts of cows, chcikens, sheep, etc.? I understand very well the horrible conditions of industrial production, so wondering about "happy meat", eggs from chicken from one's backyard, and perhaps only eating meat one has hunted/killed themselves. Would that not be more humane and sustainable?
Anemone, I just sent you a PM rather than derail the thread. ;)

Our natural world has been so disfigured because of greed. The environment and the precious non-human species living among it have been exploited to a degree where we are seeing the extinction of many species of fauna and flora: This is the overarching cause of the loss of biodiversity. An inspirational woman called Pam Ahern, founder of Edgar's Mission in Australia, says it perfectly: "If we could live happy healthy lives without harming others, why wouldn't we?"

Sorry, I missed that question. Can't see it.

Domestic animals have been artificially bred over centuries. I don't see how anybody knows what would happen if we stopped raising domesticated animals. We're smart enough to work something out, I expect. I don't think that worldwide mass veganism is going to break out any time soon. Change would be gradual and steady I expect, if things go "the way they should". There will be pressures developing regarding methane production by the livestock industry. There are lots of meat industry scientists working on ways to minimise methane emissions by livestock. I'm no expert but there's obviously huge money in beef production so resistance to change and lots of research money to spend on attempts to solve the methane problem. Methane breaks down in something like 8 years in the atmosphere so if methane emissions taper off, they'll pretty quickly diminish dramatically in the atmosphere and that particular green house gas will stop being such a huge problem. It's something like 2nd or 3rd most common greenhouse gas at the moment, almost the same as all GH gases from all transport.

Artificial meat is a rapidly growing research project. Some "good" stuff already coming to market, starting with chicken.

Lots going on as far as I can see. I think that laws and PR pushes related to climate change will outrun any changes motivated by compassion.

The times seem ripe for change. I bet it will come about by a combination of factors: a new very intelligent generation educated via the internet by a new generation of research scientists who have their hearts on the right track; so increasingly educated consumers shaping markets; coupled with disillusionment with politics as usual; coupled with growing economic competition led by governments smart enough to make the right decisions re sustainable energy (China and the EU).

Signing off from inside the crystal ball.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think it's important to keep in mind that Spanish meat eating culture has its roots in a very self sufficient, thrifty rural past, which is still just about visible in places along the less busy caminos. They would rear pigs, kill and butcher them on the farm and use everything 'except the squeak'. I have huge respect for this culture, and it makes me sad when I see a chained ganadería on a small farm that a generation ago would have had all their animals free range. I did still come across a lady giving her single pig a shower with a hose pipe on the Primitivo last summer, which made me happy. The pig was very happy too. She will kill that pig and make sausages from it, which she will eat with pride, having done it all herself, and I am totally fine with that. I do not like factory farming. So for people whose vegetarianism is inspired by factory meat, please come to Spain and see the remnants of this culture and maybe try a little artisan sausage, or wild rabbit, or line caught fish, and remember how food used to taste before mechanisation and animals became living robots. Living deserts of GM wheat and soy beans aren't good for the planet either.

Last edited:
Living deserts of GM wheat and soy beans aren't good for the planet either.
Another amen.
Just because we don't eat meat doesn't absolve us of taking responsibility to know where our food comes from, to understand the impacts of that, and make decisions accordingly.

I think it's important to keep in mind that Spanish meat eating culture has its roots in a very self sufficient, thrifty rural past, which is still just about visible in places along the less busy caminos. They would rear pigs, kill and butcher them on the farm and use everything 'except the squeak'. I have huge respect for this culture, and it makes me sad when I see a chained ganadería on a small farm that a generation ago would have had all their animals free range. I did still come across a lady giving her single pig a shower with a hose pipe on the Primitivo last summer, which made me happy. The pig was very happy too. She will kill that pig and make sausages from it, which she will eat with pride, having done it all herself, and I am totally fine with that. I do not like factory farming. So for people whose vegetarianism is inspired by factory meat, please come to Spain and see the remnants of this culture and maybe try a little artisan sausage, or wild rabbit, or line caught fish, and remember how food used to taste before mechanisation and animals became living robots. Living deserts of GM wheat and soy beans aren't good for the planet either.
There are vast areas of South America where rainforest has been cleared in order to grow soy for animal feed. The world's arable land is between 5 and 10 times more efficiently used if food is grown for direct human consumption. Enormous amounts of water are used by livestock "factories" too, and an enormous amount of animal urine and feces is not properly processed so local water resources end up polluted. But you acknowledge that kind of thing. Not long ago I had dinner with a woman who was working on her PHD, her research subject was land use/primary industry. We were a large group, not all of us vegetarian (our group met her group in Barcelona, she's Australian but I haven't seen her since), after dinner she told me that two of her research assistants had become vegetarian as a result of being profoundly spooked after looking into the whole land use issue.

My brother-in-law has a hunting crossbow. It's terrifying. The razor sharp, detachable "arrow" tips are kept in a separate box like hand grenades. I admire him for hunting some of the meat he eats rather than hunting for plastic-wrapped meat at the supermarket.

I also admire, as you do, food producers who run small landholdings in a traditional, balanced, environmentally respectful way. But enormous numbers of people can't be fed this way, as you imply.

The "bleeding heart stuff" I get into is actually valid and necessary, many of us reluctantly agree. And concerns re animal welfare/cruelty, etc., are only part of a much larger environmental/economic/ethical/political story. The world's (human) population is apparently expected to increase by about 30% by the end of this century, so something has got to change or some say there will be food and water wars. I've read here and there about large companies trying to buy water usage rights to RIVERS! I wonder how far that will go.

We are very smart creatures but we have brought these pressures upon ourselves. I wonder how enjoyable the remedies will be.

All any of us can do is to wrestle with these issues ourselves, and then to decide what (if anything) to do at an individual and personal level. My own calculus is more about global harm--those larger issues you articulated, @Mike Trebert --than cruelty. But not eating meat works to reduce both.
But we vegetarians shouldn't sit back and get complacent, because as @notion900 says, there are the issues of 3rd world exploitation and industrial-scale 'farming' happening, too--and the myriad of problems around both those things.

This is all very off topic, but regardless I think that (whether we eat meat or not) it's not a bad idea to contemplate the effects of our decisions individually and collectively.

On the Camino? The bottom line for me as a vegetarian is can I be content with what is available without making a huge issue of it to myself if there is neither variety, nor my preferred kind of protein (or whatever)?
Because my task as a pilgrim (one of them, anyway) is to cultivate contentment and gratitude.

And if there is genuine need, can I be flexible? Last year I found myself eating meat for the first time in years--after 2 and a half days of being not getting enough to eat and walking about 80kms. I didn't want to, but that was what was available, and the body badly needed sustenance.
With a little advance planning (which I hadn't done in that situation), that can be avoided--there are always tiendas. Nuts are easy to find as are beautiful fresh fruits and vegetables.

Great reply @Viranani I had just wanted to point out that meat is part of culture in Spain - walk the VDLP and that becomes very apparent - people talk about their ham industry with enormous pride. It's fine to say what you want on this forum, but on the ground we have to be careful not to be too 'holier than thou', because one can be unintentionally insulting people's culture and way of life. It's especially important to respect people who against the odds are still living a low impact lifestyle and farming in a traditional way. For me it's a privilege to meet them and learn from them.

It's fine to say what you want on this forum, but on the ground we have to be careful not to be too 'holier than thou', because one can be unintentionally insulting people's culture and way of life. It's especially important to respect people who against the odds are still living a low impact lifestyle and farming in a traditional way.
Absolutely. Agree 100%. I am tempted to bold almost that entire quote. ("Against the odds" that we cannot imagine. Here, I see this every day--the neighbor farms with oxen using techniques that haven't changed in several millennia, in the face of new global pressures and economies of scale. His son's inheritance will not have the value his once did--and the next generation will be forced to adapt to change on an unimaginable scale.)

Attachments

• IMG_3179.JPG
    IMG_3179.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Not to insult or single out @bunnymac and her daughter, but we have to see it from the locals' perspective: if they witness people saying no to local artisan cheese and ham products and eating loads of Oreos and Doritos - what message does that send? In small communities the hospitalero and bar owners will know or be related to the farmers.

Last edited:
I don't think it sends a message of insult to the local producers, but may just reinforce an image of the ignorant tourist.
It's problematic because it doesn't communicate 'I care about the community and the planet', even if that was part of the original motivation for being vegan.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How à propos, an article in a Montreal news paper today on our foods' the "water footprint". Question is, where do we draw the line?

140 liters of water to make one slice of bread. 1 ooo to grow a kg of wheat. 140l. for our cup of black coffee. 4 500l. to produce the steak protion you ate tonight, or the water you would use to run 30 baths.

http://www.ledevoir.com/environneme...u-dans-votre-tranche-de-pain?campaign_id=A100

Mike Trebeet mentions the expected population growth. My take on it is that humans really don't need to be multiplying the way they do, and that that imprint should perhaps be the first one to be taken into consideration. Lots of children around the world looking for families. Of course that will mean having to find other people to take care of us as we age, but sugar daddies figured it out a long time ago; time for more cougars? Or, more seriously, coop living?

And what about our flights to get on the Caminos? (To keep this Camino related).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was a member of the "use no palm oil" sect until I realised that alternatives use far more of the world's resources.

There are few moral absolutes in this world. I'm at the stage where: "Be kind to those with whom you come in contact" seems a pretty good guiding principal.

I'm still working on loving bed bugs.

I'm still working on loving bed bugs.

Attended a Matthieu Ricard talk a few years ago (super well known buddhist monk in francophone world) and talked about the destruction of plants and insects we consider pests. His take was, regardless of reincarnation, that we know so little about life, the world, science, that we cannot risk destroying something that may one day prove to be essential to our life on earth.

I think I prefer bed bugs to planned children. :oops:

He's a super well-known monk in the anglophone world too, for good reason.
There's a book he recently published about altruism that talks about these kinds of things at length.

Suffice it to say that minimizing the obvious harm we do (where we can and are able to ) is the only thing we can do, if we care. I have to say I literally laughed out loud at your last sentence, Anemone. It's outrageous, but very honest. Thank you for that. (And it's true. Hate them all we like, but bedbugs do far less to endanger life on this planet than we humans do. If I could manage get my level of harmfulness down to bedbug level, I think I'd be doing very well.;))

€46,-
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” -Maya Angelou

This june will be my tenth time on the Camino (arrived 3 times in Santiago). I will be walking from Merida for about a week (cannot miss my baby daughter any longer). I'm a vegetarian and becoming a vegan. Being a vegetarian on the Camino is easy. Enough choices with eggs and cheese. I was doubting. Will I be a vegetarian or vegan pilgrim this Camino?

The meat eathers convinced me. I 'm going to be a vegan pilgrim. Maybe I can make some videos to show how it went.

You know, a pilgrimage and eating meat don't go well together. Being spriritual, looking for peace and hapiness and killing innocent creatures don't go well together.

Yes, maybe it's difficult to eat vegan on the Camino. But it takes only one person to change it. Sooner or later others will know better and when they know better, they will do better. When we stop eating meat on the Camino, vegan options will become plentyful. The same goes with the entire world.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." -Dalai Lama

Last edited:
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a great burden" Ian Maclaren.

I just hope the vegans and vegetarians on this forum don't judge other as a lot I have met do.

I have a salicylate intolerance that means I can't eat most fruit and many vegetables, honey, nuts, seeds etc. I can't eat certain meats and certain fish. I am currently working out if I can eat gluten.

I know I am not alone in the world. So when you see people sitting down to a plate of meat and rice don't judge them. Live and let live.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I just hope the vegans and vegetarians on this forum don't judge other as a lot I have met do.

I have a salicylate intolerance that means I can't eat most fruit and many vegetables, honey, nuts, seeds etc. I can't eat certain meats and certain fish. I am currently working out if I can eat gluten.

I know I am not alone in the world. So when you see people sitting down to a plate of meat and rice don't judge them. Live and let live.
Hi PB, those of us who can sustain a meat-free or vegan diet are fortunate in that we can combine our principles comfortably with our dietary choices. Clearly, your choices are severely limited. It is no one's right to judge you. It must be as tiresome for you to try and explain your health requirements to others as it can be as a vegetarian/vegan having to explain our choices when challenged. I wish you excellent health as you walk the Camino. :)

As I've stated before, I'm basically an "eat-anything-that-doesn't-eat-me-first" kind of guy. I'm also married to, and prepare daily meals for, a strict vegetarian.

Now, with that said, here's my distinctly personal opinion: Anyone who judges YOU for your dietary requirements should probably be boiled in their personal choice of vegetarian oil (olive, peanut, what-have-you).

'Nuff said? ;);)

Last edited:
I walked in the company of a vegan for about 5 days. He seemed to survive on a diet of tinned chick peas and dark chocolate. Mrs Ian Afloat found herself starting to eat chicken when we toured the Meseta, Asturias and Galicia by motorcycle back in 2008 (my first encounter with the Camino) simply because she couldn't survive on a diet of tortilla and potatas bravas.

Chocolate is not vegan, not unless you can get your hands on some very hard to find 100% chocolate -- and I know of exactly one place, in Paris, where you can buy blocks of it over the counter. (it's extremely bitter, but one does get used to it -- even 99% chocolate's not the same)

A Spanish vegan diet would be based around bread, tomatoes, olive oil, salads, fruit, olives, rice, peas, beans, greens, and yes chick peas, and so on. Basically, a pure veggie variant of the Mediterranean diet.

But yes, I myself often suggest to vegans that it's probably best at least to switch to vegetarian while on the Camino, as the dairy and eggs aren't just hard to avoid, they're also extremely helpful to keep your strength up on the walk.

Circuses in most of developed world countries no longer use "trained" animals, because how do you train a lion to obey? You starve it and torture it and make it fear you

In fact, the far more effective method is to pamper and spoil it, and make friends with the animal.

I've never seen a mistreated animal at the Circus Festival here ...

a pilgrimage and eating meat don't go well together

A pilgrimage has nothing to do with conforming with any political veggie ideology. I become unhealthy if I'm not eating enough meat -- I realise that not everyone is in my circumstance, and that others than myself can become unhealthy if they do touch the stuff. But I'd never try and impose my needs on others, nor expect them to agree with mine, nor try and impose food choices upon them that they'd disagree with.

Being spriritual, looking for peace and hapiness and killing innocent creatures don't go well together.

Spirituality is not a dietary ideology.

Chocolate is not vegan, not unless you can get your hands on some very hard to find 100% chocolate -- and I know of exactly one place, in Paris, where you can buy blocks of it over the counter. (it's extremely bitter, but one does get used to it -- even 99% chocolate's not the same)

A Spanish vegan diet would be based around bread, tomatoes, olive oil, salads, fruit, olives, rice, peas, beans, greens, and yes chick peas, and so on. Basically, a pure veggie variant of the Mediterranean diet.

But yes, I myself often suggest to vegans that it's probably best at least to switch to vegetarian while on the Camino, as the dairy and eggs aren't just hard to avoid, they're also extremely helpful to keep your strength up on the walk.
Well actually there is plenty of dark chocolates less than 100% cocoa which do not have animal products in them, although they may have the "may contain milk" allergy warning as they are produced in an environment where other products are produced.

Oh don't be silly -- a pilgrimage has nothing to do with conforming with any political veggie ideology. I become unhealthy if I'm not eating enough meat -- I realise that not everyone is in my circumstance, and that others than myself can become unhealthy if they do touch the stuff. But I'd never try and impose my needs on others, nor expect them to agree with mine, nor try and impose food choices upon them that they'd disagree with.

Spirituality is not a dietary ideology.

You are talking about (political) ideology. Why? Actually what you say to me in other words is: "live and let live". I would ask you to do the same and think about more than human lives. ☺

You are talking about (political) ideology. Why? Actually what you say to me in other words is: "live and let live". I would ask you to do the same and think about more than human lives. ☺

Those are all political ideologies -- the word "ideology" is neutral, as is the word "political" ; we all have ideologies, and we all have political ideals. These are not defined for us by others, though we might share them with others -- and you're right, "live and let live" is indeed a very good paraphrase of my intentions with those particular words :cool:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, exactly. There are plenty of other threads with information about vegan or vegetarian diets on the camino and we will lock this one if the disagreements continue.

I've just walked the Camino Francés from St Jean Pied de Port as a vegan, and my experience was extremely positive. On most days I self-catered with bread, fresh produce and snacks for my mid-day meal while walking, but in the evenings I mostly ate hot meals at restaurants or albergues, and I found these places to be very accommodating.

I was surprised at just how many albergues served only vegetarian (in reality mostly vegan) food. And those that served meat were usually able to prepare a vegan option on request. Contrary to some statements made by other (non-vegan) posters above, my vegan lifestyle did not limit my socializing on the Camino in any way. I ate about a dozen communal dinners in albergues with other pilgrims. In 39 days, my husband and I cooked dinner for ourselves only five times, and it was never because that was the only option. And of course, on those days we still socialized with other pilgrims in the hostel kitchen. ;)

Disclaimer: I speak Spanish pretty fluently, have been to Spain 10 to 12 times before and am very familiar with Spanish cuisine, so I know which dishes on the menu are likely to be vegan or veganizable. For pilgrims without this background knowledge, eating out will be more challenging. In an effort to help other pilgrims overcome this obstacle, I have written a blog post with my top tips for eating vegan on the Camino. It includes a downloadable cheat sheet for ordering vegan food in Spanish on the Camino.

I've just walked the Camino Francés from St Jean Pied de Port as a vegan

Thanks -- though I'm a serious omnivore, you seem to be exactly the sort of kind people that I've been pleased to prepare 100% veggie meals for both on the Camino and off.

I disagree with vegan ideology, but this doesn't mean that tasty veggie meals don't exist !!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks -- though I'm a serious omnivore, you seem to be exactly the sort of kind people that I've been pleased to prepare 100% veggie meals for both on the Camino and off.

I disagree with vegan ideology, but this doesn't mean that tasty veggie meals don't exist !!!

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, there are certainly plenty of tasty veggie meals that people of all dietary persuasions would enjoy. In Santiago, I went to a vegan restaurant called Entre Pedras with three meat-eating friends I met on the Camino. They were all very impressed with the food and said that they would never have guessed that the cheese on their burgers was made from plants.

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, there are certainly plenty of tasty veggie meals that people of all dietary persuasions would enjoy. In Santiago, I went to a vegan restaurant called Entre Pedras with three meat-eating friends I met on the Camino. They were all very impressed with the food and said that they would never have guessed that the cheese on their burgers was made from plants.

Yes well that's the sort of vegan pseudo-food business that gets me going negatively, but then again when I was staying with some good friends in Paris, after their first disastrous attempt to "convert" me, I simply insisted on doing all the cooking myself -- and 100% veggie of course, no vegan ersatz junk either, but certainly the very sort of veggie dishes that we carnivores love to bits and pieces.

They seemed happy with my veggie cooking -- in fact, I started to be invited to sundry Parisian mega-veggie-parties to cook for dozens of them.

There truly is no need to swallow any ersatz tofu slime, given that the traditional southern european vegetable cuisine of Italy, South of France, and Spain is far superior. Do not underestimate the beauty of a fresh garlic.

Last edited:
I've just walked the Camino Francés from St Jean Pied de Port as a vegan, and my experience was extremely positive. On most days I self-catered with bread, fresh produce and snacks for my mid-day meal while walking, but in the evenings I mostly ate hot meals at restaurants or albergues, and I found these places to be very accommodating.

I was surprised at just how many albergues served only vegetarian (in reality mostly vegan) food. And those that served meat were usually able to prepare a vegan option on request. Contrary to some statements made by other (non-vegan) posters above, my vegan lifestyle did not limit my socializing on the Camino in any way. I ate about a dozen communal dinners in albergues with other pilgrims. In 39 days, my husband and I cooked dinner for ourselves only five times, and it was never because that was the only option. And of course, on those days we still socialized with other pilgrims in the hostel kitchen. ;)

Disclaimer: I speak Spanish pretty fluently, have been to Spain 10 to 12 times before and am very familiar with Spanish cuisine, so I know which dishes on the menu are likely to be vegan or veganizable. For pilgrims without this background knowledge, eating out will be more challenging. In an effort to help other pilgrims overcome this obstacle, I have written a blog post with my top tips for eating vegan on the Camino. It includes a downloadable cheat sheet for ordering vegan food in Spanish on the Camino.
Good for you! My wife will be in your debt.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Very close in fact to what I ate this evening, beetroot mozzarella tomato and olive oil -- OK veggie not vegan.

You've probably already been there and back, but for other people who may be reading this it's probably worth writing it down.

Two years ago on the Frances, being vegan wasn't easy, but it was doable. The Spanish love love love their meat, they are very confused with the concept of veganism, when you tell them you don't eat meat, eggs and dairy they're so shocked they think they can't offer you much. But luckily they're so kind and accomodating and flexible, and they will help you and find something for you. I believe it's absolutely necessary to learn to explain your situation in Spanish, as most people don't speak very good English.
If you're on a long Camino, I think sadly pilgrim menus aren't an option. If you're walking for 30-40 days you need good nourishment. and the only thing you get from the pilgrim menu is some spaghetti, fries and a salad. Other than the salad this is just empty calories and it's a waste of 10 euros.
But the great thing is: the tiendas and supermercados, big and small, have glass jars of cooked beans, vegetables and more. You can buy them, heat them up in the microwave (if your albergue has that) and get what you need to keep you going. They have not just beans but also lentils and chickpeas, cooked potatos, asparagus, just anything and everything in a jar.

Have some emergency food. Some places just won't cater to you. I had some TVP in tiny chunks, and one day when I was stuck in a tiny albergue in the middle of nowhere I just had to pour some hot water on them to make them. Not pretty. But it happens.

It's a good idea to have information about which towns have grocery stores and which albergues have kitchens. I used the app "Camino Pilgrim" and it was great. Notice though, Xunta albergues in Galicia often have kitchens but no utensils, no pots, no pans, not a single fork! So it's mostly a decorative kitchen really.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Also, we're going on the Portugues soon and figured I'd go for the jarred beans for lunch and still go with the pilgrim menu for dinners. This way your body gets what it needs but you enjoy the company. My husband and I cooked for ourselves A LOT, and it really wasn't a good experience. You have to find the best way for you, depending on what you want to take from this.

“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” -Maya Angelou

This june will be my tenth time on the Camino (arrived 3 times in Santiago). I will be walking from Merida for about a week (cannot miss my baby daughter any longer). I'm a vegetarian and becoming a vegan. Being a vegetarian on the Camino is easy. Enough choices with eggs and cheese. I was doubting. Will I be a vegetarian or vegan pilgrim this Camino?

The meat eathers convinced me. I 'm going to be a vegan pilgrim. Maybe I can make some videos to show how it went.

You know, a pilgrimage and eating meat don't go well together. Being spriritual, looking for peace and hapiness and killing innocent creatures don't go well together.

Yes, maybe it's difficult to eat vegan on the Camino. But it takes only one person to change it. Sooner or later others will know better and when they know better, they will do better. When we stop eating meat on the Camino, vegan options will become plentyful. The same goes with the entire world.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." -Dalai Lama
I walked the Camino Primitivo (which I enthusiastically recommend you consider at some point - beautiful) and I was able to maintain my vegan diet most of the time. If one is more dedicated, perhaps, I'm sure it is possible to do it 100% of the time. I think you would have to do the market/albergue with a kitchen approach, although there are albergues that do serve vegan options (lentils, vegan paella). If I went into a store and there were peanuts, I did buy them! Not very common in Spain and they were good for snacking! Santiago and Finisterre have some options, including great falafel and Italian food (I know, it's not Spanish, but still). Enjoy......buen camino.

Also, we're going on the Portugues soon and figured I'd go for the jarred beans for lunch and still go with the pilgrim menu for dinners.

@Inbar, how was your experience as a vegan on the Camino Portugués? I hope to do it next year so any tips you have would be very helpful. I already live in Portugal and can speak some Portuguese, and have travelled widely as a vegan, so I'm not at all worried about it, but if you have any tips for albergues/restaurants serving vegan-friendly food, that would be great. Thanks!

I walked the Camino Primitivo (which I enthusiastically recommend you consider at some point - beautiful) and I was able to maintain my vegan diet most of the time. If one is more dedicated, perhaps, I'm sure it is possible to do it 100% of the time. I think you would have to do the market/albergue with a kitchen approach, although there are albergues that do serve vegan options (lentils, vegan paella).

Thanks for this Judy. Do you remember the names of the albergues with vegan options? We are less than three months from our Camino Primitivo so this would be very helpful information. Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
First of all, I strongly recommend that you reserve your first two albergues (because I loved them both)! BTW, there is a restaurant in Oviedo that has vegan fare, I'll see if I can find out the name.
Albergue de peregrinos de San Juan de Villapañada - great hospitaladero (kitchen)
Albergue de peregrinos de Bodenaya - David is AMAZING...this night set the tone for our entire camino.....vegan food, comeraderie, spirit.....
I'll ask my daughter and try to remember some of the other places.....we did cook. I also did end up eating Tortilla Espanola which does have eggs......it felt okay in the moment, but, for you, might be avoidable.
Ah, the Primitivo.....the bells of the cows.....early morning fog.....

Do not underestimate the beauty of a fresh garlic.
And olives and tomatoes and bread.
Followed by a chaser of almonds and fruit.
Fortunately there is no need to resort to fake anything on the camino (so long as you are OK with black coffee); the fresh vegetarian options are wonderful, and often vegan.
But in restaurants, be aware that the soup often has a meat base, unless it is sopa de ajo. And who could want anything more than that? Yummo.

@Judy Rubin Thanks for great tips for vegan food on the Camino Primitivo! As my husband @jungleboy mentioned, we will be doing the Primitivo this spring and are really looking forward to it. I've been told that some of the more remote villages on the Primitivo don't have any stores, but that there is a grocery van that passes by at a certain time every day. Can you confirm this?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No, don't remember seeing the vans. Never felt that I couldn't get something to eat.....even just a plate of pimientos de padron! It's good to remember, though, that markets close mid-day in many places. I'm sure you are going to enjoy the Primitivo and will do fine with food. Buen Camino!

Hello,
We are a hostel in the #caminoportugues and our must is the seaweed empanada, we have many vegan proposals but if that is in the markets and supermarkets it is possible to find all tips of options.
The vegetables of Galicia are wonderful ... have you tasted the "grelos"?

Hello,
We are a hostel in the #caminoportugues and our must is the seaweed empanada, we have many vegan proposals but if that is in the markets and supermarkets it is possible to find all tips of options.
The vegetables of Galicia are wonderful ... have you tasted the "grelos"?

That's great to know! I'd love to try your seaweed empanada. Maybe we will see you if we do the camino portugues next year. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.