• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eating vegetarian in Logrono

Afiaabrafi

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Nov-Dec 2019
Hi friends,

Anyone have any thoughts on where I can find some food vegetarian or vegan food for lunch/dinner in Logroño? Feel like I should take advantage of bigger city eating options. And if anyone has suggestions for which albergue, I would appreciate that also. There are quite a few options even in winter!

Thanks in advance!

Toni

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Plaza del Melcardo - the plaza ner the Cathederal. There was a vegetarian restaurant near a corner - sorry, I dont know the name of it. It was closed for the day when we were there (18months ago) so cant recommend it lol, hopefully it is still there as we are walking again shortly and I will try to dine there! Love to her back if you find something.

The Good Burger has a Beyond burger which is vegetarian.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
These recommendations are based on my experience in May 2017:

Camino Vegano - all vegan restaurant near the cathedral. Tell them you are a pilgrim, and the menu noche costs 12.50 euros instead of 14. Some things on the menu were not available, but we didn’t mind. Friendly staff, we were the only people there, but apparently there are many more pilgrims at lunch, and locals on the weekends. However, I can't find the listing in HappyCow anymore. It's still on TripAdvisor, though, with pretty recent reviews. One reviewer said the name had changed, but they couldn't remember the new name. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...5-Reviews-Camino_Vegano-Logrono_La_Rioja.html

Café El Sol - vegan restaurant inside a bar; the tapas sold and displayed at the bar were not vegan or vegetarian when I visited, but everything on the sit-down menu was. However, HappyCow is now listing it as fully vegan. Mostly pizza, hot dogs and burgers, and also some pinchos and raciones. The burgers are very good, pizza not so much.

Begin Vegan - 100% vegan shop, near Café El Sol. Sells hummus, veg patés, toiletries, and the other usual stuff. Also some pastries, including fardelejos - a local specialty in La Rioja introduced by the Moors. Usually made w/ lard, but the veganized version is probably more true to the Muslim original. Wonderful owner, very friendly.

Barrio Bar - vegan-friendly tapas bar near Café El Sol, recommended by the owner of Begin Vegan. Didn't have a chance to go there myself.

Bar Cid - tapas bar that specializes in setas (oyster mushrooms). Delicious!

Taberna del Tío Blas - another tapas bar, had a croqueta of spinach with almonds and pine nuts. It was delicious and tasted really cheesy. Their main drink specialty is a granizado (slushy) made with La Rioja wine. Was one of the few open in early evening (6:30-7:30pm) for foreigners, though the kitchen doesn’t open until 8pm. Several vegan-friendly tapas marked on the menu.

Will go take a look, and get back to you, thanks!
Plaza del Melcardo - the plaza ner the Cathederal. There was a vegetarian restaurant near a corner - sorry, I dont know the name of it. It was closed for the day when we were there (18months ago) so cant recommend it lol, hopefully it is still there as we are walking again shortly and I will try to dine there! Love to her back if you find something.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Amazing thank you for all these recommendations!

Camino Vegano - all vegan restaurant near the cathedral. Tell them you are a pilgrim, and the menu noche costs 12.50 euros instead of 14. Some things on the menu were not available, but we didn’t mind. Friendly staff, we were the only people there, but apparently there are many more pilgrims at lunch, and locals on the weekends. However, I can't find the listing in HappyCow anymore. It's still on TripAdvisor, though, with pretty recent reviews. One reviewer said the name had changed, but they couldn't remember the new name. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...5-Reviews-Camino_Vegano-Logrono_La_Rioja.html

Café El Sol - vegan restaurant inside a bar; the tapas sold and displayed at the bar were not vegan or vegetarian when I visited, but everything on the sit-down menu was. However, HappyCow is now listing it as fully vegan. Mostly pizza, hot dogs and burgers, and also some pinchos and raciones. The burgers are very good, pizza not so much.

Begin Vegan - 100% vegan shop, near Café El Sol. Sells hummus, veg patés, toiletries, and the other usual stuff. Also some pastries, including fardelejos - a local specialty in La Rioja introduced by the Moors. Usually made w/ lard, but the veganized version is probably more true to the Muslim original. Wonderful owner, very friendly.

Barrio Bar - vegan-friendly tapas bar near Café El Sol, recommended by the owner of Begin Vegan. Didn't have a chance to go there myself.

Taberna del Tío Blas - another tapas bar, had a croqueta of spinach with almonds and pine nuts. It was delicious and tasted really cheesy. Their main drink specialty is a granizado (slushy) made with La Rioja wine. Was one of the few open in early evening (6:30-7:30pm) for foreigners, though the kitchen doesn’t open until 8pm. Several vegan-friendly tapas marked on the menu.

Not an answer to your question but a strong recommendation you stay at Albergue Verde (Google it) in the town of Hospital when you get there!!!!!

I agree with your choices subject to a few comments :

Camino Vegano is closed.

Sol Veggie not El Sol see https://g.page/solveggie-rest?share

For pinchos it's got to be Bar Angel and their mushroom pincho see https://goo.gl/maps/q5iU5DtsTuZXJFVK9

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can recommend Albergue Winederful for its cleanliness and security. I cooked my dinner in the kitchen and in the morning they served a lovely breakfast.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I can recommend Albergue Winederful for its cleanliness and security. I cooked my dinner in the kitchen and in the morning they served a lovely breakfast.
Another vote for Winederful. Great location too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We stayed in the Alburgue Santiago Apostle and really liked it. We reserved a private room the night before but they also have bunks. Located right when you walk over the bridge into the city. They had a massage table (think massage chair but your laying down) when I was there in 2016. Buen Camino!

Try the app HappyCow, also to see as website. Great to have with you all the time.
In Logrono I went once to El Sol. It is a normal bar where all the neighbours come and have their drinks, but at the same time it is all vegan! :cool:

Hi friends,

Anyone have any thoughts on where I can find some food vegetarian or vegan food for lunch/dinner in Logroño? Feel like I should take advantage of bigger city eating options. And if anyone has suggestions for which albergue, I would appreciate that also. There are quite a few options even in winter!

Thanks in advance!

Toni
There is also and Udon Noodle House up at the circle/roundabout at the end of Calle Portales. Not sure it's vegan, but definitely vegetarian. It was nice to get some Asian food for a change of pace!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.