• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eating with others

LDennis

Time of past OR future Camino
May 14, 2022
Greetings from Northern Virginia,

My husband, Ron and I (Lesley) will begin our Comino on May 13 from Sarria. I would like to know if other Pilgrims meet up for lunch or dinner at each village they will stay the night. Our luggage will be transported from one lodging to the next so we will only be carrying day packs through-our Comino so it made me wonder if others will still welcome us at their table?

Also, is the large cathedral in Santiago still under construction? I was so hoping to attend service there will the huge incense lantern. If it is still under construction can we still go inside to view St. James burial site? How is the other Cathedral where they are currently holding services?

Thank you for your help!
Lesley

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found that Pilgrims were always welcoming others to their tables! You can even walk up to a table where you see Pilgrims and simply ask "May I join you?"! The only issue I foresee with transporting your luggage would be the same that I saw with those who had reservations every night planned in advance. When you do that - you are making yourself less flexible to changes in itinerary. Meaning - I would walk during the day and link up with a group of people who would decide during the day "Let's walk to THIS town and have dinner together". Those who had reservations already or had bags transported for that day - would miss out in those sorts of opportunities. That said - once you are at an albergue you can also find people to have dinner with if you want to - they just might not be the people you had HOPED to have dinner with. If you know what I mean!

The Bota(I always misspell so not going to finish haha) - Unfortunately - it is only swung when someone pays or in certain special services - so you just never know unless going to the special services. But - better chance to see it at noon than the other services in my limited experience. T

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Under the "Santiago - the Destination" forum, you will find a sub-forum with many threads about the cathedral in Santiago.

Pilgrims are a motley group in any location. Some will quickly become fast friends, some will just recognize others from saying hello on the walk or from seeing each other in albergues or restaurants. Some will be complete strangers. Some will speak up and invite others to join. Some will ask to join. Many will stand around awkwardly trying to decide. Since you are travelling as a couple, you might need to initiate the contact with others who might be loners who have congregated. Otherwise they won't know if you prefer to stay by yourselves, or you want to meet others.

I am certain that you will find many pilgrims who transport their luggage/packs and if someone is snooty about it, I'm not sure I'd want to dine with them anyway! The last 100 km has a lot of pilgrims to choose from and a lot of infrastructure for dining and breaks.

And yes, you can hug the Saint and visit the tomb. Buen Camino!

Unfortunately - it is only swung when someone pays or in certain special services - so you just never know unless going to the special services. But - better chance to see it at noon than the other services in my limited experience.
I was lucky to see Bota a few days ago (on 7th April 2022) at the evening Mass at 19:30 so it is really a game of luck if they will use it or not.
There was a large group of Spanish high school students at the Mass so I assume their school donated to see Botafumeiro

View attachment 20220407 201149.avi.mp4

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Greetings from Northern Virginia,

My husband, Ron and I (Lesley) will begin our Comino on May 13 from Sarria. I would like to know if other Pilgrims meet up for lunch or dinner at each village they will stay the night. Our luggage will be transported from one lodging to the next so we will only be carrying day packs through-our Comino so it made me wonder if others will still welcome us at their table?

Also, is the large cathedral in Santiago still under construction? I was so hoping to attend service there will the huge incense lantern. If it is still under construction can we still go inside to view St. James burial site? How is the other Cathedral where they are currently holding services?

Thank you for your help!
Lesley
A few. words of advice. Just ask if you can join another pilgrim if they are already sitting or offer a chair to a single pilgrim or more depending on the number of chairs you have.
I see that Happy Penguin filmed the big botafumeiro swinging in the Cathedral. I also filmed it on my first camino. You can choose to do it or you can just watch his or the many other videos of it on you tube. That way you can just enjoy the spectacle. I would recommend sitting in the "pilgrim" sections which are on the side of the altar. That way you get the best view of the botafumeiro swinging over your head.

I would like to know if other Pilgrims meet up for lunch or dinner at each village they will stay the night.
Honestly, it's variable from which pilgrims happen to be walking that Way at that particular time.

Some ad hoc groups are very convivial, others not at all, and all shades in-between.

Including occasionally some shades of "us and them" stuff, sadly.

Truth is -- you'll find out how it will be for you once you're there ; though despite my caveat, in most cases pilgrims who seek company will find it !!

I was lucky to see Bota a few days ago (on 7th April 2022) at the evening Mass at 19:30 so it is really a game of luck if they will use it or not.
There was a large group of Spanish high school students at the Mass so I assume their school donated to see Botafumeiro

View attachment 122824
It brought tears to my eyes (not from the incense!) back in 2018 and likewise viewing your recording here. You picked a really good spot to film.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Under the "Santiago - the Destination" forum, you will find a sub-forum with many threads about the cathedral in Santiago.

Pilgrims are a motley group in any location. Some will quickly become fast friends, some will just recognize others from saying hello on the walk or from seeing each other in albergues or restaurants. Some will be complete strangers. Some will speak up and invite others to join. Some will ask to join. Many will stand around awkwardly trying to decide. Since you are travelling as a couple, you might need to initiate the contact with others who might be loners who have congregated. Otherwise they won't know if you prefer to stay by yourselves, or you want to meet others.
@ C,.. Well said , Im one of those who will be standing alone , solo pilgrim, ( widower) awkwardly trying to decide about my options. But, somehow will survive the day. Cheers to all . Happy Buen camino.

One way to know if you will see it swing is to talk to the tour operators after leaving Sarria, I found that you can find out which ones have paid and when they expect to arrive. For me being Catholic its the mass and its meaning that is the important thing to witmess and give thanks for arriving safely.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Always found others welcoming, but if alone try talking and making friends with the locals in the bars.

Always found others welcoming, but if alone try talking and making friends with the locals in the bars.
@trevorcc, .. did nit know that locals go that bars/restraints where mostly pilgrims go,. Beside very few local speaks English, wish I could have fluent enough to do the small talks in French /Spanish. But, Thank you ! 🇨🇦

@trevorcc, .. did nit know that locals go that bars/restraints where mostly pilgrims go,. Beside very few local speaks English, wish I could have fluent enough to do the small talks in French /Spanish. But, Thank you ! 🇨🇦
Perhaps not - but I will tell you - I LOVED going to the bars and restaurants where the locals DID hang out! I did find a lot of the Spanish locals DID speak English. French locals - less so.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

View attachment 122824
Do you know how much it would cost got the Bota to be used please? Thanks

450 Euros and you in return get 10 reserved seats in the pews. You must pay a minimum of 1 week in advance.
For one person , I think it is quite a bit of money ( 450 Euros) to pay to be inside during the Bota ceremony, but if there is organized group ( and I make it , at 72 to St James from SJPP, and the group have room for one more person) around June7/8th 2022) I will pay my share to be inside the Cathedral to see once in a life time event . My two cent thoughts. Cheers to all and Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For one person , I think it is quite a bit of money ( 450 Euros) to pay to be inside during the Bota ceremony, but if there is organized group ( and I make it , at 72 to St James from SJPP, and the group have room for one more person) around June7/8th 2022) I will pay my share to be inside the Cathedral to see once in a life time event . My two cent thoughts. Cheers to all and Buen Camino.
Indeed! I only know the cost because either here or on facebook - an individual was trying to find others arriving in SdC the same day as him - to help pay. I think this is a great idea - but even then - divided by 10 people is still 45 Euros. (I say divided by 10 people because that is how many seats they reserve for you if you pay)

450 Euros and you in return get 10 reserved seats in the pews.
I think it is quite a bit of money ( 450 Euros) to pay to be inside during the Bota ceremony
You are not paying to be inside. You can normally get inside the cathedral to watch any time that the botafumeiro swings, without paying. If somebody pays to have it swung, it seems like they will get 10 reserved seats in the best viewing area. Everyone else will still be able to watch - but maybe not from as good a position.

You are not paying to be inside. You can normally get inside the cathedral to watch any time that the botafumeiro swings, without paying. If somebody pays to have it swung, it seems like they will get 10 reserved seats in the best viewing area. Everyone else will still be able to watch - but maybe not from as good a position.
Thank you - I did not mean to imply that you are also paying to get into the church- I should have changed the wording perhaps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you - I did not mean to imply that you are also paying to get into the church- I should have changed the wording perhaps.
@Jeannine .. thats what I mean.. of course if allowed I will go inside the cathedral ,but,. I will pay my share , just to have a sure thing , with peace of mind that I can watch it .. removing the doubts of maybe,.. maybe not etc., Peace to All !

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.