• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

eBike, Pamplona to Burgos.

OCHAR

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2018
Not our first Camino but it was the first for us on eBikes.

IMPORTANT! These bikes will NOT move if you don't pedal.

WHO:
We are a couple in our 50's who rented 2 Ebikes from Bikeiberia in order to do a leg of the Camino De Santiago in June 2019.

HOW:
We contacted Bikeiberia several months in advance and with their friendly help we elected to rent 2 Ebikes (Giant, Dirt-E) along with 2 panniers (on each bike) and the standard kit that comes with the bikes. Communications with Bikeiberia were always prompt and timely. We did inform Bikeiberia that we would supply our own helmets. We arranged with Bikeiberia to both drop off the bikes and eventually pick them up at a predetermined date and Hotel in Burgos.

The courier company called SEUR delivered the bikes on the predetermined date and we promptly collected and inspected them to ensure all was in order. We started our ride the following morning.

THE eBIKES:
The bikes met our expectations. They were well cared for (of course they had the usual, normal wear and tear) and modern. The panniers were adequate to carry all our needs and of course we brought just the bare essentials. As can be imagined, the eBikes came with a charging system consisting of a cable, and a rather LARGE transformer in the shape of a small box. Since we had 2 bikes, we had 2 of these clumsy boxes (more on this later). The bikes also came with a "kit" for punctures, a spare inner tube and patch kit, as well as a micro-pump.
All of the spare equipment (Chargers etc) mentioned above occupied 1 entire pannier. Keep this in mind when packing for such a ride.

CHARGING:
We charged the Batteries daily, simply remove the battery from each bike, bring the cable (and the transformer attached to it) to the room and plug it in. Charging the battery took between 1 hour to about 1.5 hours. To be honest, our average 30 km daily ride consumed no more that about 30% of the battery (of course this will vary person to person, terrain etc). Overall very efficient and we NEVER had a dead battery on the ride.
What we did have on the ride was a FLAT tire. Honestly we had a slow leak that required changing. We could only ride a few kilometers before we had to fill the tire again. It was here that I discovered the micro-pump. This pump was an exercise in futility. It pumped so little air. I later found out at Bikeiberia that the handle is telescopic so I was not pumping a full volume of air with each stroke!! This information would have been valuable BEFORE we started the ride!! I changed the inner tube at the first opportunity. Another thing to note here is that the bikes had BOTH the Schrader AND Presto valves....fortunately the micro-pump accommodated both.

CONCLUSION:
We fully recommend Bikeiberia to anyone and we plan on renting the eBikes again perhaps next year to complete a different leg!! Thanks to Joanna and Fabio and all the team at Bikeiberia.

TIP:
We purchased some padded, gel seat covers to put on the rather small and sporty seats of the eBikes in order to make them a bit more comfortable. Quick note to Bikeiberia, we also found that the chains on the bikes got quite dry after a few hundred kilometers and would have liked a small bottle of chain lubricant included in the kit.

WHAT TO PACK:
I know this is covered "Ad Nauseum" here but here is my 2 cents.

1 short, 1 long pants, toothbrush, disposable razor, Antiperspirant, the real stuff! not some magic crystal or something, a tiny/mini bottle of perfume for the occasional use, (I read here that some people are allergic to perfumes and scents well, I can say that I am allergic to STINK and B.O!! 1 hat, sunglasses, 2 socks, 2 underwear, 1 cell phone, 1 small camera, charging cables, plugs. 2 t-shirts, 1 long sleeve t-shirt, ear plugs (the silicone ones with a cord between them), Small flashlight, 1 pair running shoes /trainers/, 1 belt, 1 bar of Pears soap, 1 small tube of shampoo, small/tiny container of bug cream, Blistex lip protectant, 1 rain poncho, 1 pair sandals, a "Buff" neck tube. Keep in mind if you really need something you can find it at Decathlon or Alcampo / Dia / Mercadona.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for the report on E-bikes

Two question what were you doing with your time that 30km was your average distance and do you ride bikes a lot at home?

Thank you for the report on E-bikes

Two question what were you doing with your time that 30km was your average distance and do you ride bikes a lot at home?

We were "stopping to smell the roses".
Yes we do ride bikes at home.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We were "stopping to smell the roses".
Yes we do ride bikes at home.
Thanks for the reply.
I was curious if there was a great set of churches that you stoped at that are not large stopping points or other great things to see that being in a hurry other don't stop at that you saw and would recommend.
As to the question on riding bikes I know that I personal ride a bike at 15-25km a hour at home so 30 km a day sounded a little slow. I may ride fast but in the city I feel very slow.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back