• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

eCamino Brierly app for Portugal coastal/interior routes?

ak_troutbum

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugal coastal routeSept 2015
I will be embarking on my first Camino in early September out of Porto and planning to do mostly coastal. I'm admitantly a bit overwhelmed by all the map/direction info out there and came across the Brierly app that has lots of other possibly handy features.

Has anyone used it for the Portugal route coastal and/or interior and could kindly give me some insight?

Or any suggestions for other apps.

Thanks so much!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will be embarking on my first Camino in early September out of Porto and planning to do mostly coastal. I'm admitantly a bit overwhelmed by all the map/direction info out there and came across the Brierly app that has lots of other possibly handy features.

Has anyone used it for the Portugal route coastal and/or interior and could kindly give me some insight?

Or any suggestions for other apps.

Thanks so much!
Hi, sorry I can't help you there but I wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

I'll be walking that part in early 2016 and plan on basing my route on these routes: http://www.caminoporlacosta.es/etapas

As for app, I do not know the Brierly one, but will use Viewranger with this route (I've made it myself from the link above and other sources - I'm quite proud of it!!): http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/NzAzMjE= I use viewranger to track where I'm going :)

You can also use the excellent maps.me - and load a route into it on your phone (I can provide the correct filetype and the route above for you if you are interested). maps.me will be my backup map on the camino...

You can download the maps in both viewranger and maps.me so you are offline while walking. I would recomment maps.me as the maps for it is easier to download and it app also shows accomodation and places to eat and shop as well...

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'll be walking that part in early 2016 and plan on basing my route on these routes: http://www.caminoporlacosta.es/etapas

As for app, I do not know the Brierly one, but will use Viewranger with this route (I've made it myself from the link above and other sources - I'm quite proud of it!!): http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/NzAzMjE= I use viewranger to track where I'm going :)

You can also use the excellent maps.me - and load a route into it on your phone (I can provide the correct filetype and the route above for you if you are interested). maps.me will be my backup map on the camino...

You can download the maps in both viewranger and maps.me so you are offline while walking. I would recomment maps.me as it is easier to download and it app also shows accomodation and places to eat and shop as well...
It is a nice schedule on caminoporlacosta.es/etapas.
Only Viana do Castelo to Caminha and Caminha to Mougas are over 20 kms
If you want a smoother schedule you could walk from Viana do Castelo to Vila Praia de Ãncora which is about 15 kms and the next day from there to A Guarda by taking the ferry between Caminha and A Guarda or with a fishing boat as we did few month ago. This is about 13 to 14 kms. From there to Mougas is about 18 kms.
Bom caminho

You can download the maps in both viewranger and maps.me so you are offline while walking. I would recomment maps.me as it is easier to download and it app also shows accomodation and places to eat and shop as well...
Great app ! Just downloaded it. interesting for our coming trip to the south of Germany, biking. Thanks for sharing
Abraço

What I saw about it was that the app has been designed for the camino Francès unless you have seen another one about the Portugese caminho .I cannot find that one.
Walking along the coast is just keeping the ocean at your left, heading north.
It is reasonably way marked. Only direction Vigo from Baiona you have to make your decisions to follow the coastline or go into the hills .both routes are waymarked. The coastline from Nigrán by green waymarkers. The yellow ones continue and lead you into the hills as been said before.
On your way you allways can leave the coastal to the central route. In Vila do Conde and in Caminha.

Bom caminho
@Albertinho--I'm not sure if it includes the CP but you've confirmed my thinking that it can't be too terribly difficult to follow the coastline until I decide to head inland. Thanks for the reply!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

You can download the maps in both viewranger and maps.me so you are offline while walking. I would recomment maps.me as the maps for it is easier to download and it app also shows accomodation and places to eat and shop as well...
@cj2003--you are a master planner, no? I've been following all your impressive route making/sleeping option documents. Thanks so much for the links here. I'm intrigued by the tapas link but can't get it to translate in Google translator. Will have to keep at it. Thanks again!

@cj2003--you are a master planner, no? I've been following all your impressive route making/sleeping option documents. Thanks so much for the links here. I'm intrigued by the tapas link but can't get it to translate in Google translator. Will have to keep at it. Thanks again!

haha, I haven't thought of myself that way, but I probably am :) I actually prefer to do the walking and use this stuff as a backup to help me avoid the big mistakes!!

I'm just trying to give the things and stuff I find usefull to the community in a hope that there are others out there that might use them - and then don't have to do the work I did. And someday perhaps help me a bit :)

Thanks for your nice post :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Albertinho--I'm not sure if it includes the CP but you've confirmed my thinking that it can't be too terribly difficult to follow the coastline until I decide to head inland. Thanks for the reply!
. Aswell in Vila do Conde as in Caminha the trail to the central route is waymarked by yellow waymarkers.

In Vila de Conde head for São Pedro de Rates and in Caminha for Vila Nova de Cerveira and Valença do Minho .

If you decide to stay in Vila Praia de Âncora, there is no albergue but we went to the tourist info and found a comfortable apartment.
If you decide to follow the coast as far as Vigo there is no albergue in the beautiful town of Baiona but here again going to the tourist info they help you out. we found a comfortable hostal.
Vigo is a bigger city with plenty hotels and hostals.
Next stop after Vigo is Redondela where you are on the central route again.
First time we walked from Lisbon, we stayed in the Redondela municipal albergue but did not like it. too many people ,lots of noice, hot, smelly.
In May this year we walked on for 3 kms out of Redondela and found a fantastic albergue in Cessantes, refúxio de la Jerézana. Highly recommended.
Bom caminho

Agree wholeheartedly with the maps.me app. Last year I used it for the English route and this year for the Portuguese route. This year I walked alone so it was wonderful to know where the route was heading, particularly on those occasions where I wanted to know how far I was away from my destination, or if I left the route to find a store or something I was able to find my way back, or even join up with it a bit down the road if I didn't want to follow a detour, all with great confidence. I also used it to mark points of interest and where my various breaks were during the day to be able to look back on the journey with a little more detail. Excellent use of technology. That being said, the Portuguese route from Tui is exceedingly well marked, you don't actually need an app. But for me, it worked out perfectly to have it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hi CJ, I would like to se the file for use on maps.me, if still available. Thanks!

Hi CJ,

I would like to see the file for maps.me if still available (Portugues Coastal Route).

Thanks!

Hi CJ,

I would like to see the file for maps.me if still available (Portugues Coastal Route).

Thanks!
Hi Keith,
if you download this one https://www.dropbox.com/s/dp718wb1973rnrp/Camino Portugues - Monacal.ZIP?dl=0

inside you'll find a .kml-file that can be used in maps.me

(here I'm guessing you know how to import the file in maps.me, if you have trouble with it let me know and I'll try to write up a guide on how to load it into maps.me)

Enjoy!
Christian

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back