• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eco Raider

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Almost too good to be true, but it appears to be the only treatment...
Not really. That product claims to be a "natural" product that is as effective as other "synthetic" products. I don't see where it claimed to be the only product that kills bedbugs or that has some residual effect. Which is good, because it isn't the only such product.

A number of products kill bed bugs on contact. For the purpose of pilgrim planning, we need to know how effective any residual effect is at repelling bed bugs to keep them away from us and our belongings before they feed on us. Heat is the most effective and safest way to decontaminate most of our pilgrim gear at the end of a camino. Different methods and products are appropriate for treating infested housing, and most research seems to focus on that problem.

Were you able to find the research papers to confirm that they did support the claims? I found that issue of the Journal of Economic Entomology (Vol 7, 2014), which did have an article on bedbugs, but it mentioned no product brands and didn't seem to particularly support the claims. Another article referenced was the "journal of Insects" of Nov 2014. I found a Journal of Insect Physiology, which didn't have an article on bedbugs of that date.

I admit that I am not an entomologist, and I don't really know my way around scientific literature, so I could easily have missed the right piece, or misunderstood the implications of what I did find. Perhaps someone else on the forum can provide more insight.

From my quick look at the links you pointed out, I don't see any real news. I just see a company claiming that it product works at least as well as others. I don't see that they provide information or links to support anything more.

I don't really know my way around scientific literature, so I could easily have missed the right piece, or misunderstood the implications of what I did find. Perhaps someone else on the forum can provide more insight.
I do and I can:

Were you able to find the research papers to confirm that they did support the claims?
Yes. Here, here, and here.
The first shows extensive mortality on contact, but not much repellent capacity.
The second basically said 'results are promising but more data is needed..."
The third showed good results of direct exposure but also said more work was needed.

And there were others, but I don't want to waste the time digging.

I don't see where it claimed to be the only product that kills bedbugs or that has some residual effect.
I just see a company claiming that it product works at least as well as others.
Yup, agreed.

From one of these papers, it's worth noting that:
  • "Sprays alone did not eliminate most bed bug infestations after four follow-up inspections and re-treatments, confirming the limitations of insecticide treatments alone in eliminating bed bug infestations."
  • and "The active ingredients in EcoRaider are not unique"
  • and it noted somewhere in there that Ecoraider is expensive than the rest.
Bottom line?
There's no easy solution for an infestation--and as @C clearly says, in the Camino context, prevention of exposure (careful examination of lodgings) is perhaps more useful than an expensive spray.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
From the Rutgers study I glean:

Ecoraider cherry-picked the graph that showed it was best. It was generally second best in charts showing other effectivenesses. On some charts, it was dead last.

upload_2016-12-3_7-35-21.png

The natural bed bug insecticides had widely varying results for two strains of bed bugs. All worked better against Bayonne (New Jersey) than against Indy (Indiana) bed bugs.

None was an effective repellent. I think only DEET has shown to be a repellent.

The tests were done on fabric. The natural insecticides are in a drug category "generally regarded as safe" (GRAS), so no testing for safety for humans is required, therefore no one does such tests. Similarly, no one tests if it is safe for fabrics, so if you use it, test it on a hidden part of your pack and sleeping bag to be confident that it does not melt them (as DEET will some plastic and paints).

Once again it seems that there is something that we would like to be valuable against bed bugs, but may be more placebo than useful. I think it can be taken as true that there is risk involved in killing bed bugs with anything except your fingernail. Permethrin is effective as an insecticide. There are more effective treatments, but none of them is mobile. They are more useful in your home. DEET is effective as a repellent.

As with most of life, you cannot have it all!!;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Unless you are experiencing a serious infestation in your own home, don't worry about bedbugs. It is much ado about nothing.

Unless you are experiencing a serious infestation in your own home, don't worry about bedbugs. It is much ado about nothing.
I disagree (hopefully not disagreeably). If snoring, generally not under the control of the pilgrim, is a burden on fellow pilgrims, then transporting bed bugs is a larger burden. I don't take precautions for myself so much as I take them for my fellow travelers (and to prevent taking them home). It is much ado about something important, but I agree with the sentiment that it should not be a deterrent to going. It is a manageable problem just like blisters.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I remember reading somewhere that the reason bedbugs are now a major issue and that what is available to get rid of them is hit and miss most of the time, is that the only really effective pesticide against them is DDT. Unfortunately, in a way, DDT is no longer available. It is a good thing that it has been banned because of all the environmental issues it caused, but sad that it is not allowed for issues such as bedbugs.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back