• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ecumenical Pilgrims Way Germany

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
As some of you here on the forum are interested in this pilgrims route, I started a web site with information about it in english - http://viaregia.guide

So far there is an introduction and a FAQ section online. More content (and more photos!) will be added over the next days/weeks. Hope it helps somebody. Buen Camino, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
SY - you have done a great job of talking this route up. It is on my list for the future!

As some of you here on the forum are interested in this pilgrims route, I started a web site with information about it in english - http://viaregia.guide

So far there is an introduction and a FAQ section online. More content (and more photos!) will be added over the next days/weeks. Hope it helps somebody. Buen Camino, SY

SY, this really sounds great. About 20 years ago, I lived in Ramstein and Heidelberg. We did Volksmarches every weekend. The best time of my life. I love Germany. I remember a lot of hills. I'm curious as to what the terrain will look like. I'd use any excuse to get back to Germany.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is pleasantly hilly, but not strenuously so. Lots of open fields and lovely towns plus a whole lot of history. Buen Camino, SY

I walked this route in August 2014 and loved it. Excellent pilgrim infrastructure and very reasonable if you are budget conscious. You can find info and pics on my blog www.gittiharre.blogspot.com
Happy to answer any questions.
The first 2/3 were pretty flat, the last 1/3 pleasantly hilly.

As a native German speaker that doesn't run into a language problem on that route I would be really interested to hear about your experiences regarding how you got along language wise. Apart of walking the whole way alone I also 'dragged' my British husband over the first stage to Kamenz, but he had his favourite interpreter with him, so not really representative. Guten Weg, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The route is my list of routes to do list, so I would be interested in learning more.

Might have to build my famous VdlP schedule for this route too, so i can use it when i finally get the chance to do it

Last edited:
... Might have to build my famous VdlP schedule for this route too, so i can use it when i finally get the chance to do it

??? SY

Last edited by a moderator:
I a
As a native German speaker that doesn't run into a language problem on that route I would be really interested to hear about your experiences regarding how you got along language wise. Apart of walking the whole way alone I also 'dragged' my British husband over the first stage to Kamenz, but he had his favourite interpreter with him, so not really representative. Guten Weg, SY
I am german, have lived in english speaking countries since I was 20 though..so language wise no problem. A lot of the middle aged and older generation learnt Russian as a second language. With the younger people English is more common. I would say just put yourself out there. Trust that things will work out. There is a lot of good will from people on this route and only about 3000 people walk it per annum, so beds are no problem. Gitti

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would love to do that as it is a really great route with excellent infrastructure but the main problem with guidebooks is maps, the proper licensing of them and so on. But I am working on putting a simple guide in pdf form together, that will be a start. Buen Camino, SY

cool!

If you want the accommodation and stage schedule template I used for the VdlP, please let me know

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If Conrad-Stein has a German-language guidebook out for this route, then an English-language supplement in pdf might be the way to go. No sense spending effort to cover ground already plowed. Their maps and elevation profiles are generally quite good; it's only the lodging lists that are scant.

Yes, but the Conrad-Stein Guide for this way is lacking a lot of the addresses the German association guide has. The situation on this way is a bit unique as a lot of pilgrims accommodation is actually in the private homes of somebody. And these people, understandably and rightly so, want to limit the ways their contact information is distributed. So the solution, for the moment is, keep an eye on my website and hope I put enough articles up plus a pdf to take with you and buy the association guide and the two maps and you are good to go. Buen Camino, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back