• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Educational Bed Bug Video

Dream A Way

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
I'm not sure how many people are familiar with Mark Rober, but he is an ex-Nasa engineer and now has a science channel on YouTube. He recently did an episode on bed bugs. It is a bit disgusting, but also quite educational.

Mark Rober: Bed Bugs- What You've Been Told is Totally False

Here is some summary info ...

They Do Not Transmit Disease
Bed bugs do not carry or transmit diseases. They are really just a nuisance, but disgusting nonetheless.

Avoiding Bed Bugs
Check mattresses, cracks and corners for bed bugs or bed bug droppings before you sit down or lie down.

Do not put your clothing or belongings on the floor, on the bed, or in hotel drawers. Keep it in your suitcase / backpack, and on something like a luggage rack / stand if possible.

Deterring and Killing Bed Bugs
Bed bugs do not like strong smelling items like dryer sheets, moth balls, baking soda, essential oils, or insecticides. However they will happily crawl over these items if they smell blood or carbon dioxide (CO2) on the other side. Insecticides do nothing to kill bed bugs. Sonic noise emitters do nothing to kill or even deter bed bugs.

The best way to kill bed bugs when travelling is heat. Put your clothes / belongings in a dryer and heat them to 50 degrees Celsius. The bed bugs will die almost instantly.

Diatomaceous earth also kills bed bugs, but can take several days. Sprinkle in a fine dusting, not in piles.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It was a brilliant video - I watched it just before heading out on the Inglès.
Mark also found that he was immune to their bites - no reaction - whereas the scientist in charge of the project wasn't!!
They only problem with a dryer@ 50 degrees C is that your merino won't fit afterwards..... 🇳🇿

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Insecticides do nothing to kill bed bugs.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this video. While your other comments seem fine, I don't agree that this one was supported. It is far too general a statement about what appeared to be demonstrations of specific commercial products. I don't recall being told what they contained nor how much of any active ingredients they had. More, we weren't told which of the four bed bug sub species was used. Only one is permethrin resistant, the others aren't, at least not yet. If that was the one used in these demonstrations, we may only have been seeing what we already knew about it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't wash your clothes first to reduce the chance of shrinkage of your woolens. Just put them in the dryer dry. You can wash afterwards and then hang on the line, etc.
Also, 50 degrees Celsius is about the temperature inside a dryer on "low" setting. Both Darn Tough and Woolx say it is ok to dry their items in a dryer set on low. So if one does get bedbugs and must put everything in a dryer, everything may come out ok, even the merino wool.

Also, 50 degrees Celsius is about the temperature inside a dryer on "low" setting.
Thanks for this reminder that it is not necessary to put items into a super-hot dryer. At a low setting, you might want to give a bit more time. Where you might only need 20 minutes at a hot setting, you might need an hour at a lower setting. (That is a rough approximation of what I recall, but I don't know the exact numbers.) Also remember that the clothes don't reach that temperature until they are dry, and only then should you start the timing.

Thanks for this reminder that it is not necessary to put items into a super-hot dryer. At a low setting, you might want to give a bit more time. Where you might only need 20 minutes at a hot setting, you might need an hour at a lower setting. (That is a rough approximation of what I recall, but I don't know the exact numbers.) Also remember that the clothes don't reach that temperature until they are dry, and only then should you start the timing.
And for delicate items it is best to put them in the hot dryer when they are not wet. Do the heat treatment for a half hour first, then wash and dry per the item's care instructions.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
OK, so one more question for veteran walkers: Will there always be a commercial dryer available somewhere in the town where bedbugs are discovered? Or might I have to walk to the next town before dealing with the issue? Just trying to get my head around how I'm going to cope with this potential problem...it's the one remaining thing that still worries me! Thanks so much for all your input.

It is a hard one not breathing so as not to emit CO2...
It is here a carbon capture mask would come in handy....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.