• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Effect of Fires in Western Australia on the Camino Salvado

Dancing Rain

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino Salvado (2017)
Camino Frances (2018)
Looking at the maps of the out of control wildfires near Perth in Western Australia - it seems like the Camino Salvado could be affected. We walked this evocative Camino with a group in Sept 2017. At a distance it’s hard to figure out where has actually been burnt. Would love to hear more information from anyone who knows. So sad to hear about the significant loss of homes, and all the resulting distress. May all be safe

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I also have been thinking that the Camino Salvado will be affected. Watching the fires and even had ash flecks on my car today as far away as South Fremantle. I walked in 2011

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
From what I can see on a satellite image of recorded hot spots - it looks like the areas walked on Day 2 & 3 are affected - after the Equestrian Centre, into Walyunga National Park along the Swan River (Day 2 afternoon) & then the Kangaroo Trail & some of the Echidna Trail (Day 3 morning).

Hello Dancing rain and camino07, thank you for your post. Learnt something new again! I was not aware there was a camino in West Australia. While we are far away in Melbourne, the borders are currently open, so we could actually plan that trip if safe. But what is the background, what do we know about this camino? Has anyone walked it to give such information?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for that information Dancing Rain! i preesume you must live in WA? We hope to get to WA maybe later this year. We have bought a camper trailer, awaiting delivery, and providing birders are open, may get to WA instead of travelling overseas. Thank you for enlightening us! Corry

Hi, sopranocorry
Dom Salvado ,a Benedictine monk from Spain, arrived in Fremantle in 1846. He and another monk wound their way through the bush for 147 kms North of Perth to found New Norcia monastery .
In 2008 members of St Joseph's church in Subiaco conceived this pilgrim trail in his memory. I first saw a documentary on ABC about the first group and was interested. Thereafter St Joseph's run two groups a year. Last week in August and first week in September .I enjoyed the pilgrimage in 2011 and made a good friend from it. Due to Covid stopping my annual Camino in Spain, last September I booked to go again. Unfortunately both groups were cancelled at the last minute due to restrictions. However 17 of us met up at the church and walked the first day to Guildford ,had lunch and caught the train back. We were all given a beautiful guidebook which I hope to use in the future. Hope things improve soon and you get to WA

What a lovely story camino07..I hope to get to WA sometime. Thank you so much for your inspiration, what a lovely trip you still had! We hope to also sometime soon have that opportunity.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back