• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Effective foot exercises

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi there - When I am out on Camino doing first aid I tend to suggest foot exercises to people as I am always surprised that pilgrims will just get up, boot up, and start walking ... then the problems come ... I have just found this video on the footlogic website that gives some really simple and effective limbering up exercises for the feet and includes loosening the calves. Doing these will really make a difference and they only take a couple of minutes.

http://footlogics.co.uk/Plantar-Fasciitis-Stretching-Exercises

Mind you - you might want to take a tennis ball with you!

Also, over-pronation, where the feet roll inwards, causes so many problems, from arch and metatarsal pains, to achilles tendon problems, shin splints, knee pain, even back pains - so don't just buy boots and walk, check out their arch support and how your feet really feel in them - are they supported properly?

I think it can be worth investing in a good pair of arch support insoles (not the cheap ones!). This company, footlogic, are pretty good (no, I have nothing to do with the company, I just use their sports insoles) - http://footlogics.co.uk/ - there are other good companies out there of course, just don't buy cheap ones that look good but aren't.

Just a thought - Happy walking!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I wish I had done this.
My feet were fine until I got home and took OFF my shoes and supports.
Now my left ankle is rolling in and hurts like hell.
The only thing to make it stop is to wear the danged shoes with supports.
I almost feel like the supports caused the weakness.
Two months, and no better.
It's beginning to frighten me.
I'm seeing my chiropractor for the second time this week.
I am afraid to see an allopath - they'll just want to shoot it with Cortisone (not an option for me).
This sucks :(

I wish I had done this.
I am afraid to see an allopath - they'll just want to shoot it with Cortisone (not an option for me).

So sorry, Anniesantiago. Hope the chiropractor can give you some more answers. We knew a pilgrim who got hurt early on in her Camino, but it wasn't until she finished her Camino and went home that she was diagnosed with a stress fracture. Then it was the boot for 6 - 8 weeks. Not fun. Take care of yourself and feel better soon!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi there - When I am out on Camino doing first aid I tend to suggest foot exercises to people as I am always surprised that pilgrims will just get up, boot up, and start walking ... then the problems come ... I have just found this video on the footlogic website that gives some really simple and effective limbering up exercises for the feet and includes loosening the calves. Doing these will really make a difference and they only take a couple of minutes.

http://footlogics.co.uk/Plantar-Fasciitis-Stretching-Exercises

Mind you - you might want to take a tennis ball with you!

Also, over-pronation, where the feet roll inwards, causes so many problems, from arch and metatarsal pains, to achilles tendon problems, shin splints, knee pain, even back pains - so don't just buy boots and walk, check out their arch support and how your feet really feel in them - are they supported properly?

I think it can be worth investing in a good pair of arch support insoles (not the cheap ones!). This company, footlogic, are pretty good (no, I have nothing to do with the company, I just use their sports insoles) - http://footlogics.co.uk/ - there are other good companies out there of course, just don't buy cheap ones that look good but aren't.

Just a thought - Happy walking!!

Thanks for the video, David - very helpful. BTW that's quite the CGI model they got there! :)

I wish I had done this.
Annie,
Hang in there. I have had tendonitis problems during and since my 1st CF May/June 2014. I am doing lots of stretches now but it took a good 2 months for my feet to feel good enough to really run, hop, etc. without pain and lots of fear. I am still doing exercises but happened to go to the doctor for a diabetes check up and the feeling in my left foot was very diminished. This generally indicates nerve damage not tendon or muscle problems- but these things can be complex. I am getting further follow up on this. But my point for you is weakness can mean many things. Don't assume an allopath will just want to give you shots. Have it checked out to see what it is for sure and you can decide what treatment you will or will not allow. You are in charge of accepting a treatment. I have read many of your posts and you are a strong woman with lots of common sense. This will all work out if you do your research and take charge of your healthcare.
Take care!
Stefania

Thanks Stefania. I went to my chiropractor again yesterday. Each time I visit him I feel a little better. Going again on Monday.
My feet seem to be pretty good as long as I wear my shoes.
He said gentle exercise is ok.
If it doesn't get dramatically better in the next couple of weeks, I'll have it x-rayed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back