• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Either Or

Aloha From Kauai

A Lifetime of Journeys
Time of past OR future Camino
April 3rd - June 3rd, 2022
Over the last year I have bought six pairs of shoes, three non gor-tex, three with. Four low tops, two mid height. I like something about each, but none shout out "Take Me!" I do also have a pair of ultralight hiking sandals to give my feet a break.
I need to narrow down at least between waterproof or not. Help?
I have a narrow foot and no really issues except the foot with the fracture which is mostly healed according to xray. I also have very little padding on the bottoms of my feet.
Advice? Following are what I have:
Waterproof Brands:
Danner (my heel slips up and down) Dynafit (not enough breathing room), Xero mid (weirdly slippery on wet surfaces despite tread)

Non-waterproof: Danner mid (comfortable but I'm worried about them rubbing my ankle with the mileage), Hoka One One (great on my bony feet, but big and I"m afraid I'm going to trip), and Solomon (good grip but not very comfortable).

The holy grail would be decent padding, and good grip. Would love brand suggestions and waterproof or not? Low, mid, or boot?

It's nice to have folks to talk to that aren't sales people, lol!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I suggest you discount any that are not comfortable. A shoe slightly too big might be manageable with extra liner socks. Many people recommend bigger shoes to allow for feet swelling.

Personally I have walked in GTX trail runners (only shoes that fit me) and didn't find that my feet swelled however my feet certainly sweat and became slippery inside the shoes despite merino socks. I dealt with this by changing into fresh socks during the second half of the days walk. Always a lovely thing to do for your feet as they get tired. I have now found some non-GTX trail runners that fit and are comfy so that is what I'm planning on using.

My opinion is that comfort is more important than whether or not they are waterproof. You know your feet and your gait and what you are familiar using. What is your instinct telling you?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Over the last year I have bought six pairs of shoes, three non gor-tex, three with. Four low tops, two mid height. I like something about each, but none shout out "Take Me!" I do also have a pair of ultralight hiking sandals to give my feet a break.
I have a narrow foot and no really issues except the foot with the fracture which is mostly healed according to xray. I also have very little padding on the bottoms of my feet.
Waterproof Brands:
Danner (my heel slips up and down) Dynafit (not enough breathing room), Xero mid (weirdly slippery on wet surfaces despite tread)

Non-waterproof: Danner mid (comfortable but I'm worried about them rubbing my ankle with the mileage), Hoka One One (great on my bony feet, but big and I"m afraid I'm going to trip), and Solomon (good grip but not very comfortable).

The holy grail would be decent padding, and good grip. Would love brand suggestions and waterproof or not? Low, mid, or boot?

I have very narrow feet and hike with Solomons but use SOLE inserts (that form to your feet with heat.) I have used the brands trail runner, ultra 3 hiking shoes, and now ultra 3-Mids boot. All with great results and rarely get blisters.

The high impact SOLEs are my preference and I buy them at REI, but here is the official product website: https://yoursole.com/us/shop/footbeds.

Hope this helps!

Definitely non waterproof. You can carry waterproof socks, such as Dexshell. Your hokas sounds like the best bet. I recommend that you also try on Saucony peregrine and one of the Altras (lone peak, Mont Blanc, Olympus).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a pair of Bushido ll trail runners for summer (la sportiva) and a pair of Blade
GTX (same brand) for winter Camino walking. They seem to be made from the same last and both fit me perfectly so I always have a new spare pair in the closet since I am afraid they will quit making them. I used to wear the original Bushido style, but had to change when they stopped making it. I do take a pair of croc sandals in summer and a pair of Croc closed shoes for winter. I wore my original pair of La Spotivas out on my first Camino and threw them away in Santiago before heading home.

Forget anything that is not completely and perfectly comfortable at home. On the camino that will become torture.
I would say low, not goretex - and whataver fits you well.

Lots of people walk in hiking sandals - Keens or Tevas are common brands. So it's worth taking those hiking sandals so you can experiment with them on the camino. I started with hiking boots on a late winter camino but by the end of the first week had ditched them for low-rise walking shoes that I was carrying 'in case' - now in case has become my go-to option. This is not the Himalaya, or even Haleakala. For most people, on the camino less is better.

I've never worn Hokas but lots of people love them. They may feel like boats right now, but you will naturally adjust. And just to say: we all trip. That's what poles are for - preventing face-plants. But that is another very well-worn thread topic. ;)

A vote for X Ultra 3 - they fit right out of the box and go the distance - no worries about wearing out in the middle of a long Camino - a truly excellent shoe. I have some X Ultra 4's on order which are reported to be even better and lighter. Scholls Planters inserts work well and also New Balance high volume if you can find them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Every foot is different I have a pair of Hoka Speedgoat that are wonderful and I actually thought about using them on my last camino. But I slapped myself across the face and said you have always walked in Brooks Cascadias and they have always been your best friend. You definitely do not need to wear Gor-Tex or other waterproof shoes. They have blisters written all over them. If the Holas feel good keep wearing them and walking in them. I thought they felt a bit clumsy also when I first started wearing them and that ended quickly. Remember if it is raining out have a few newspapers in your pack. Crumple them up and stuff them in your Hokas when you arrive and remember to take out the inserts. Before bed put fresh paper in and your Hokas will be dry and ready to go in the morning. Many albergues have old papers also.

Forget anything that is not completely and perfectly comfortable at home. On the camino that will become torture.
Absolutely right! Forget anything about brand or type or style. It MUST be comfortable, everything else is a distant second in making your choice. Nobody can recommend a shoe for you, unless they have your feet.

Waterproof Brands:

whatever you buy, get a half size larger than your usual foot size, to allow for swelling as you hike these long distances. It makes a difference. I also recommend running shoes, not hiking shoes. You are mostly walking on flat ground, not hiking over rough terraine. Makes a difference. As for waterproofing, i just put baggies over my socks. On dry days, my feet could breathe without being suffocated by waterproofing. Buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Waterproof Brands:

To be more specific, i used Solomon brand running shoes— a suggestion i got on this forum. They worked great in a half size larger.

I have very narrow feet and hike with Solomons but use SOLE inserts (that form to your feet with heat.) I have used the brands trail runner, ultra 3 hiking shoes, and now ultra 3-Mids boot. All with great results and rarely get blisters.

The high impact SOLEs are my preference and I buy them at REI, but here is the official product website: https://yoursole.com/us/shop/footbeds.

Hope this helps!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Definitely non waterproof. You can carry waterproof socks, such as Dexshell. Your hokas sounds like the best bet. I recommend that you also try on Saucony peregrine and one of the Altras (lone peak, Mont Blanc, Olympus).
Another vote for non waterproof shoes plus waterproof socks if needed. With waterproof socks you can create an instant waterproof boot. But I would only use these in colder months, say November thru March/ April. Waterproof or gortex shoes take a very long time to dry. Non waterproof shoes will dry in a few hours as you walk ( in the warmer months). Waterproofing really doesn’t work that well and your feet will sweat in waterproof shoes or socks, so they get wet anyway. In colder months the waterproof layer in shoes or socks is mainly useful to keep you warm. And by colder, I mean around 32 F or below. In lightweight long distance backpacking there is a philosophy of accepting that your feet will get wet, so pick the option that will dry the fastest. Many will counter that wet feet lead to blisters. Theoretically true, but this has never been an issue for me, so your mileage may vary. With the waterproof socks plus non waterproof breathable shoes you can pick and choose as you see fit depending on the conditions. Just my opinion, but one based on experience. Others may differ. Buen Camino!!

This is awesome, thank you do much. Do you prefer no gor-tex or with
Great fan of Hokas for feet with painful plantar fasciitis! They are very comfortable, some like my Speedgoats have part vibram sole and will last a camino with no problem, and though they are big I have never tripped because of it.
They do feel good, but I think I don't have the right style. The padding creates a sensation that I'm walking up hill all of the time...
Thank you for your thoughts.

I suggest you discount any that are not comfortable. A shoe slightly too big might be manageable with extra liner socks. Many people recommend bigger shoes to allow for feet swelling.

Personally I have walked in GTX trail runners (only shoes that fit me) and didn't find that my feet swelled however my feet certainly sweat and became slippery inside the shoes despite merino socks. I dealt with this by changing into fresh socks during the second half of the days walk. Always a lovely thing to do for your feet as they get tired. I have now found some non-GTX trail runners that fit and are comfy so that is what I'm planning on using.

My opinion is that comfort is more important than whether or not they are waterproof. You know your feet and your gait and what you are familiar using. What is your instinct telling you?
Thank you for sharing, all of this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have a pair of Bushido ll trail runners for summer (la sportiva) and a pair of Blade
GTX (same brand) for winter Camino walking. They seem to be made from the same last and both fit me perfectly so I always have a new spare pair in the closet since I am afraid they will quit making them. I used to wear the original Bushido style, but had to change when they stopped making it. I do take a pair of croc sandals in summer and a pair of Croc closed shoes for winter. I wore my original pair of La Spotivas out on my first Camino and threw them away in Santiago before heading home.
I'm also bringing ultralight EVA Burkies for full foot rest. Thank you for sharing.

Lots of people walk in hiking sandals - Keens or Tevas are common brands. So it's worth taking those hiking sandals so you can experiment with them on the camino. I started with hiking boots on a late winter camino but by the end of the first week had ditched them for low-rise walking shoes that I was carrying 'in case' - now in case has become my go-to option. This is not the Himalaya, or even Haleakala. For most people, on the camino less is better.

I've never worn Hokas but lots of people love them. They may feel like boats right now, but you will naturally adjust. And just to say: we all trip. That's what poles are for - preventing face-plants. But that is another very well-worn thread topic. ;)
Thank you, I always love your guidance and humor. You made me remember I had bought a pair of Merrel sandals and I just put them on. They fit perfectly at the ankle and mid foot with just enough room in the toe area to wiggle comfortably. I think I had forgotten them because I was worried about cold feet, wool socks should help with that. They might be the answer and I rid myself of the shoe and the Xero drop sandal, and only bring the EVA simple sandal for shower/evening.

Another vote for non waterproof shoes plus waterproof socks if needed. With waterproof socks you can create an instant waterproof boot. But I would only use these in colder months, say November thru March/ April. Waterproof or gortex shoes take a very long time to dry. Non waterproof shoes will dry in a few hours as you walk ( in the warmer months). Waterproofing really doesn’t work that well and your feet will sweat in waterproof shoes or socks, so they get wet anyway. In colder months the waterproof layer in shoes or socks is mainly useful to keep you warm. And by colder, I mean around 32 F or below. In lightweight long distance backpacking there is a philosophy of accepting that your feet will get wet, so pick the option that will dry the fastest. Many will counter that wet feet lead to blisters. Theoretically true, but this has never been an issue for me, so your mileage may vary. With the waterproof socks plus non waterproof breathable shoes you can pick and choose as you see fit depending on the conditions. Just my opinion, but one based on experience. Others may differ. Buen Camino!!
I am leaning to sandals now with a couple of wool socks and a waterproof, only because I hate cold feet, lol. Do you recommend any particular waterproof sock?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
whatever you buy, get a half size larger than your usual foot size, to allow for swelling as you hike these long distances. It makes a difference. I also recommend running shoes, not hiking shoes. You are mostly walking on flat ground, not hiking over rough terraine. Makes a difference. As for waterproofing, i just put baggies over my socks. On dry days, my feet could breathe without being suffocated by waterproofing. Buen camino!
Baggies, brilliant!

Waterproof Brands:

Thank you to everyone, it's been hugely helpful having a Camino Ohana (family in Hawaiian). I have narrowed down to two options that I will fully explore one I get off of this lovely rock in the Pacific and shop (beyond Walmart, Macys, and now...Target) based on all of the great sharing.
Hugs to All!

I prefer non Goretex as they dry quickly, and I always bring a spare pair of insoles in case I have to use them again in the evening. Have walked in Speedgoat and Mafate models, both with vibram so the tread really sticks to the ground and lasts ages. Happy Hoka hunting!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Waterproof Brands:

1. Comfort
2. Not waterproof….too hot and heat makes blisters
3. Low…like Lone Star or other trail runners
4. Good Merino wool socks
5. Toe socks like injinjis or other liner socks
6. Take shoes off after every hour or so of walking…rinse feet in cool water and dry…or just cool them in air.

And all these are just one person’s opinions…it is what worked for me

This is awesome, thank you do much. Do you prefer no gor-tex or with?
Ultra 3 shoe and boots have gore-tex. Never been an issue for me like other have experiences. 2 of my Camino’s have been in the spring and it’s been helpful with mud and rain. Never need to dry them out as my feet stayed dry. I use moisture wicking socks and change them out mid day usually.

I agree with all the comments about fit and comfort - the extra half size is good but each foot is different. Be sure to get measured then train in them. Eventually you will find the right combo for you. :) Another thing REI is great for - returns and advice.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
whatever you buy, get a half size larger than your usual foot size, to allow for swelling as you hike these long distances.

Before you buy that a half size larger pair you might want to take a look through this recent thread to see other takes on that subject ;) (Summary: it depends on the particular shoes you're wearing and your own physiognomy/tendency to swell.)

Talk is cheap! How many miles have you walked in each pair of shoes? You should have a good idea after 25 miles or more.

-Paul

A vote for X Ultra 3 - they fit right out of the box and go the distance - no worries about wearing out in the middle of a long Camino - a truly excellent shoe. I have some X Ultra 4's on order which are reported to be even better and lighter. Scholls Planters inserts work well and also New Balance high volume if you can find them.
x ultra 3s no longer available in non goretex. yikes!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is there such a thing as truly waterproof footwear? Rain either soaks in through the boot/shoe top/tongue or wicks into your socks over the cuff.
Even on local walks in these uncertain times I opt for trail runners or closed toe sandals on a dry sunny day (rare in the UK but we have one today!) On a Camino I'd also take along a spare pair of insoles of the same size and type and alternate them if they get wet - you don't want to feel like you're changing footwear every day.

They do feel good, but I think I don't have the right style. The padding creates a sensation that I'm walking up hill all of the time...
Thank you for your thoughts.
You could also try another style of Hoka's. I settled on the Challenger ATR 6 for my wide feet (in wide of course), and they give me just a little more room than the Speedgoats in wide.

You could also try another style of Hoka's. I settled on the Challenger ATR 6 for my wide feet (in wide of course), and they give me just a little more room than the Speedgoats in wide.
Thank you Bill. I will be stopping at REI once I come off the island to do a last check on footwear before I head over. Who would have thought that buying a pair of shoes would get so complicated 🙂

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you Bill. I will be stopping at REI once I come off the island to do a last check on footwear before I head over. Who would have thought that buying a pair of shoes would get so complicated 🙂
It can be complicated. My husband spent probably over a $1,000 on shoes looking for the "perfect" Camino Shoes. Now that he's found them we keep a new pair on hand in the closet at all times in case they stop making that model!!! His first Camino pair were Keens and although they were good and he never got a blister, it felt like torture putting them on every day after a while on our first Camino. He threw them away in Santiago and wore his sandals home...Keep looking until you find the ones that are right for you!!!

Waterproof Brands:

If you had to go to the mall, park far away and visit stores at each end, which shoes would you wear? Those are the shoes for the Camino.

It can be complicated. My husband spent probably over a $1,000 on shoes looking for the "perfect" Camino Shoes. Now that he's found them we keep a new pair on hand in the closet at all times in case they stop making that model!!! His first Camino pair were Keens and although they were good and he never got a blister, it felt like torture putting them on every day after a while on our first Camino. He threw them away in Santiago and wore his sandals home...Keep looking until you find the ones that are right for you!!!
:) Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
x ultra 3s no longer available in non goretex. yikes!

Do Not use the Gortex boots. Sure, the sales people admonish the "waterproof" capability but they are like wearing plastic bags on your feet. I have tossed away perfectly functional boots having Gortex lining in favour of well made leather and leather lined boots (the lighter the better). Your feet, under load with pack, enduring repetitive stress for hours, are in a much different situation than a couple of hours on a park trail.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.