• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Burgo Ranero - Memorial Cross - what's the story?

Philip Gooding

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Aug to Sep 2014
We passed this cross (see pic) at the entrance to the village of El Burgo Ranero. I wonder can anyone add any more to the story behind this cross? Here is what I have been able to find out so far from the internet:

Rufino Banos Lozano joined the Spanish Republican Army in 1937 aged 20. He was captured and eventually passed on to a German concentration camp where he remained and, remarkably, survived till he was released at the end of WW2. Part of the reason for his survival was his love of football - he played on the Spanish team in the concentration camp and this meant he found some favour with the guards. Nevertheless he had several narrow escapes after being caught with stolen food. He returned to Spain after WW2 and died in France in 1969.

As background to Rufino's story there is a dark part of Spanish history in that many of the captured Republicans were put into Nazi style concentration camps with 250,000 dying there.

It seems the Jose Maria Banos Lozano (name inscribed on the cross) is the son of Rufino? Who is M Monserraty? Why is the inscription "to the children" on the cross. What is the significance of 2002 on the cross?

It would be great if anyone can help to complete this story!image.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Philip-- for what I know and/or can read from the monument itself it appears that it was dedicated in 2002 (thus the year 2002 inscription) "to the memory of the children" by Jose Maria Baños Lozano and his wife Maria Monserrate (the "y" after Monserrate is a separate letter meaning "and"). May be/may not be related to the fact that his father, Rufino Baños Lozano, natural from El Burgo Ranero and soccer star in Leon, as you well mentioned, spent time in a Nazi concentration camp (Mauthausen-Gusen). By the way, he was not a Republican soldier when he was captured by the Nazis. He had escaped to France after the Spanish Civil War ended where he joined the French Army during World War II. His entire batallion was captured by the Nazi army. As you also mentioned, his soccer skills helped him gained some "favor" among the guards in Mauthausen and helped entertained the children, even if on such dire conditions. He did survived it and was liberated by the Allies in May 1945. He died an old man in 1980 in France.

Among the things known about the Mauthausen- Gusen concentration camp is that the adult prisioners were the only ones left responsible for feeding and caring for the children in the camp. When the camp was liberated in May 1945, it was noted in documents that while the adult prisioners looked emanciated and skeleton-like, the surviving children appeared in significantly better condition. An amazing testament of humanity by the prisioners in such horrendous circumstances. The stolen food incidents were probably to feed him and others, specially children under their care. If you remember the name of the boy who hid in the annex with Anne Frank (Peter Van Pels), he was moved from Auschwitz to Mauthausen only to die the day (THE DAY) the camp was liberated. Heartbreaking.

I would not be surprised if the story of this monument goes back to a Nazi Germany concentration camp....

Last edited:
Olivares - thank you for your thoughtful and interesting reply. It seems to be a feature of the Camino that it can take you off to so many unexpected places - not one journey but a million different ones! Regards, Philip
Philip-- for what I know and/or can read from the monument itself it appears that it was dedicated in 2002 (thus the year 2002 inscription) "to the memory of the children" by Jose Maria Baños Lozano and his wife Maria Monserrate (the "y" after Monserrate is a separate letter meaning "and"). May be/may not be related to the fact that his father, Rufino Baños Lozano, natural from El Burgo Ranero and soccer star in Leon, as you well mentioned, spent time in a Nazi concentration camp (Mauthausen-Gusen). By the way, he was not a Republican soldier when he was captured by the Nazis. He had escaped to France after the Spanish Civil War ended where he joined the French Army during World War II. His entire batallion was captured by the Nazi army. As you also mentioned, his soccer skills helped him gained some "favor" among the guards in Mauthausen and helped entertained the children, even if on such dire conditions. He did survived it and was liberated by the Allies in May 1945. He died an old man in 1980 in France.

Among the things known about the Mauthausen- Gusen concentration camp is that the adult prisioners were the only ones left responsible for feeding and caring for the children in the camp. When the camp was liberated in May 1945, it was noted in documents that while the adult prisioners looked emanciated and skeleton-like, the surviving children appeared in significantly better condition. An amazing testament of humanity by the prisioners in such horrendous circumstances. The stolen food incidents were probably to feed him and others, specially children under their care. If you remember the name of the boy who hid in the annex with Anne Frank (Peter Van Pels), he was moved from Auschwitz to Mauthausen only to die the day (THE DAY) the camp was liberated. Heartbreaking.

I would not be surprised if the story of this monument goes back to a Nazi Germany concentration camp....
s

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes indeed! Thank you for an interesting and thoughtful inquiry.

I can only add that this kind of monument is called a “crucero” (or “cruceiro”, in Galice). It is a very old tradition, apparently late medieval. They are almost always placed in a “crossroad” (note the etymology, it is the same in Spanish). They were intended to sanctify a place, express the piety of the founders, and sometimes point out the limit of villages. Travelers used to pray at cruceiros, to beg for a safe journey or give thanks for an uneventful return (there were wolves, bad weather, robbers....) Some similar monuments in squares or church atria are also called “cruceros”, I guess by extension.
I remember many of them, especially beautiful, in the Camino. It is interesting that modern pilgrims tend to stop when they reach a crucero, even if the old praying tradition have disappeared, or the meaning is culturally foreign to them.

They are almost always placed in a “crossroad” (note the etymology, it is the same in Spanish). A bit late, but I have always thought that the name crucero (cruceiro) comes from the fact that there is a cross on top of the pillar.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back