• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Burgo Ranero to Reliegos

cosan

Time of past OR future Camino
july 2016
Does anyone know a hostel or pension to stay in when walking the 13km stretch between El Burgo Ranero to Reliegos?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last August on the Roman road off the highway en route to Reliegos was the first time I've ever run out of water. There's not even shade there and the little rivers are fenced off.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Periodically we hear from people on these forums asking "where is there a dearth of services for pilgrims?" or "where can I set something p to help people out?". It sounds like we might have a candidate. :)

Its not much of a dearth is it? Last time I looked El Burgo had two Albergues and three hostels. 13 km down the road poor benighted Reliegos can but boast six Albergues, shopping opportunities and one of the most remarkable(?) bars on the Camino Frances. Anyone setting up a facility between those two might find themselves scratching for a living.

Now, if you're walking the 'Roman' route from Calzadilla it is a hard-core 24 km before you'll get your first cold beer (unless you divert to Reliegos) but even in that scenario I find it hard to imagine how any facility would facilitate its own existence.

Its not much of a dearth is it? Last time I looked El Burgo had two Albergues and three hostels. 13 km down the road poor benighted Reliegos can but boast six Albergues, shopping opportunities and one of the most remarkable(?) bars on the Camino Frances. Anyone setting up a facility between those two might find themselves scratching for a living.

Now, if you're walking the 'Roman' route from Calzadilla it is a hard-core 24 km before you'll get your first cold beer (unless you divert to Reliegos) but even in that scenario I find it hard to imagine how any facility would facilitate its own existence.
yes I went the Roman route and saw 2 other people the entire day (they were together) so I think it would be a long wait between pilgrims

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
AH!!! But El Burgo boasts an adobe hostel a-n-d a wonderful frog pond to sit by on the bench and watch the sun go down and listen to the concert! Thousands and thousands of frogs singing their hearts out!

It is not only the seasonal frogs as mentioned by Scruffy above that can make El Burgo Ranero a special stop but also the chance encounter of a special hospitalera in winter.

November 2014 trudging on from Sahagun to El Burgo Ranero was COLD, bleak and solitary. During 5 hours only a handful of pilgrims passed by but all were battling the incessant wind and rain. With great relief I finally arrived at the simple adobe albergue Domenico Laffi
and met the friendly hospitalera named Alicia "like Alice in Wonderland!" as she said.

Wonderland indeed! Alice who had just arrived herself would be resident hospitalera for the next two weeks but already had an open fire warming the downstairs common room (there was no other heat) and her lunch was cooking in the kitchen. One other soaked cold pilgrim, Carlos from Madrid, came in. Since it was Sunday and both bars and the village shop apparently closed Alice immediately set the table for three and graciously invited us both to share her meal. Thus the delicious HOT rice, vegs and salad was stretched with his cheese and my biscuits and bananas. In the spirit of Wonderland we all drank several steaming mugs of HOT sugared tea. Alice enjoyed recounting her many camino memories while serving as hospitalera. I sensed that wherever she might be it would quickly be her 'home'; across the years the camino had become her way of life....
Across the years this visit has become another unforgetable winter memory for me.

Last edited:
Try the old Roman road referred to above. After leaving Sahugan, cut north at Calzada del Coto and then walk the old road to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos. Very few pilgrims take this route. Much better and much more scenic than walking next to the A231. There is an Albergue and also a small hotel there, or at least there was when I walked it a couple of years ago. The next day continue on the old Roman Road, eventually cutting south to Reliegos, or if you're up for it, continue all the way on the old road to Mansilla de las Mulas.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
IF...you do take the "scenic " route to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos, be prepared for a long, solitary slog there and an even longer one the next day to Reliegos, where there's not much of anything. Mansilla de Mulas is a better stop than Reliegos, where there's a nice, very friendly Albergue Gaia with an attached bar and good beer.😜💭

IF...you do take the "scenic " route to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos, be prepared for a long, solitary slog there and an even longer one the next day to Reliegos, where there's not much of anything. Mansilla de Mulas is a better stop than Reliegos, where there's a nice, very friendly Albergue Gaia with an attached bar and good beer.😜💭
I agree, I dont think I'd do it again, it was a long slog, hot, no shade, no water and no arrows which was disconcerting

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There seems to be a Casa Rural in Villamarco called Pozo Villa, although the website doesn't load. It's hard to say if it's open or not. Also, on the Villamarco facebook page, they made mention of opening up an albergue, although I'm not sure if it is open yet.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back