• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El camino age question

Duey0074

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk in july (2015)
Hi, I am only 17 years old but last year on an exchange to Spain I had the opportunity to walk 3 days from astorga to ponferrada. There was something incredible that told me I had to return and do the whole thing... I want to go this summer and have convinced my parents just need to know how hard it really is? I am very athletic and hike often

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Seventeen, athletic and experienced hiker?
For you the Camino will not be hard at all. You could probably almost run the whole thing, ha ha.
Like I have said before, when I was seventeen I think I could have almost walked the whole Camino backwards. Youth hath privileges.
I did it the first time at 52 years old with no training and other than sore knees, had no real physical issues at all. I wasn't the fastest peregrino, mind you, but found no real difficulties.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, I am only 17 years old but last year on an exchange to Spain I had the opportunity to walk 3 days from astorga to ponferrada. There was something incredible that told me I had to return and do the whole thing... I want to go this summer and have convinced my parents just need to know how hard it really is? I am very athletic and hike often
Hola, Duey!

Welcome to the forum. I think you will find lots of usefull info on this forum, but regarding your age I think this recent thread will answer some more of your questions:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/is-hiking-the-camino-at-17-to-young.30081/

Ultreia!

... how hard it really is?
@Duey0074, welcome to this forum. The answer to that question is going to depend on what it will be that you find "hard". It will rain sometimes, sometimes for days, you may get cold and wet and find yourself putting on cold, wet clothes one cold wet morning. Not "hard" maybe, but an unpleasant experience. It will get hot, possibly very, very hot. You will risk dehydration and worse, sun-stroke, unless you take proper precautions. Again not "hard" but common sense and personal discipline are essential. Thirty days of walking with a pack on your back, every day, day after day: that can be hard, many find it too hard. Blisters, shin-splints, knee-strains and sheer fatigue have stopped many of the willing in their tracks. Boredom kills it for some; too much party-fun has stopped others.

You are 17, athletic and an experienced hiker, and you want to do the Camino. Prepare well and the camino will only be as hard as you make it for yourself. Enjoy it, it will be wonderful.

don't worry about your age! You are young enough not to have awful memories to compare the Camino with nor fear of them happening again so all will be fresh and new - go, enjoy (and top marks to your parents, they must be good people)...
I left home at fifteen and went to sea - survived somehow .... go, live your life!! Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
May/June of '13 I met a young man, 17, who was allowed to graduate high school a semester early so long as he spent his spring achieving "meaningful accomplishment." He was walking the Camino. He started in Bern, Switzerland. And he didn't look like a super-athletic kid. He was doing just fine. And started walking with a 19 year old french girl at some point.......so it seemed like he was doing extra fine then :)

Duey - you have received some great advice and encouragement, my suggestion - try to find a friend to walk with you. As you have been an exchange student try to encourage some of you Spanish colleagues to walk (at least) part of The Way with you. Many Spaniards walk the Camino in sections during their holidays so you should be able to find fellow walkers.
Buen Camino!

Shalom Duey and Chaunkah Greetings from Jerusalem!
Walking the Camino is indeed hazardous! It causes repeated flights to Spain, creates joys which can only be re-experienced along the Camino, leads to great spiritual inspiration and even greater personal epiphanies, induces incredible camaraderie, and is the spark for the Saint James Obsession Syndrome – afterwards you will find him or he will find you everywhere. It is indeed addictive and you will be influenced for life! You have been warned!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Shalom Duey and Chaunkah Greetings from Jerusalem!
Walking the Camino is indeed hazardous! It causes repeated flights to Spain, creates joys which can only be re-experienced along the Camino, leads to great spiritual inspiration and even greater personal epiphanies, induces incredible camaraderie, and is the spark for the Saint James Obsession Syndrome – afterwards you will find him or he will find you everywhere. It is indeed addictive and you will be influenced for life! You have been warned!!
That's an early age to get the SJOS Scruffy, isn't it?
It only hit me when I was 70 rather than 17 .... and this year will be my fifth [God willing!].
Good luck, Duey - you're in for a super time of walking and friendship, and maybe even love in your life!
Buen camino!

The other folks have already stated the obvious. The single best resource to start to persuade your parents is the thread mentioned above about 17 year olds walking the Camino. See here:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/is-hiking-the-camino-at-17-to-young.30081/

Other than that, if you are a reasonably mature, organized person who can get up in the morning on your own, carry your weight (in terms of personal responsibility) wash your own clothes, take care of your food and medical needs as needed, manage money, handle debit cards, get along well with others and do not take dumb risks (as some teens do - I remember being 17 and I also have nephews and nieces - YIKES!) you will be perfectly fine. Go for it!

Take a mobile (cell) phone and have a agreed upon contact schedule. STICK to that schedule for phoning home, sending text messages or having SKYPE sessions. Personally, using an Apple mobile device, I have come to love Face Time. My family back in the US can see and talk to me, or I can use voice over Wi-Fi if the Wi-Fi is not strong enough to support full video conferencing. The cat doesn't quite get it. But it's all good.

This forum is an excellent source for all sorts of information. Use the search function at the top of the page to find virtually anything, by keyword (e.g. sleeping bag, hiking boots, mobile phone, SIM card, etc.)

I hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Duey0074, welcome to this forum. The answer to that question is going to depend on what it will be that you find "hard". It will rain sometimes, sometimes for days, you may get cold and wet and find yourself putting on cold, wet clothes one cold wet morning. Not "hard" maybe, but an unpleasant experience. It will get hot, possibly very, very hot. You will risk dehydration and worse, sun-stroke, unless you take proper precautions. Again not "hard" but common sense and personal discipline are essential. Thirty days of walking with a pack on your back, every day, day after day: that can be hard, many find it too hard. Blisters, shin-splints, knee-strains and sheer fatigue have stopped many of the willing in their tracks. Boredom kills it for some; too much party-fun has stopped others.

You are 17, athletic and an experienced hiker, and you want to do the Camino. Prepare well and the camino will only be as hard as you make it for yourself. Enjoy it, it will be wonderful.
very well put ,, different things can break different people,, on my camino i met with people in their late teens to people in their early 70s each person had a reason for doing the camino from the younger point of view it may be for a laugh and just because they could ! the middle aged people may do it because its now or never ! and the older (not old) people maybe because they have put off adventure to raise family and now this is their time !go for it ... i would suggest and tell your parents that as the mother of a 16 yr old son there is no other place on earth i would feel happy to see him go !

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back