• Some parts of the forum are not loading as they should. We are working on it.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

El Camino app

LizzyFlame

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Camino
Hello again! Just wondering if anyone knows about El Camino App? I’ve seen a lot of YouTube videos and a couple of them talked about it! I saw one of the videos mentioning that it was hard to navigate to the entrance to El Camino from Se Cathedral in Lisbon. Is it worth it to look into it?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello again! Just wondering if anyone knows about El Camino App? I’ve seen a lot of YouTube videos and a couple of them talked about it! I saw one of the videos mentioning that it was hard to navigate to the entrance to El Camino from Se Cathedral in Lisbon. Is it worth it to look into it?
Never heard of it. Can't find it on Godgle. Probably doesn't exist.

I rely on "U-bend" for entertainment not information.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
People will often talk about "the Camino app", just like "the Camino guidebook", thinking there is only one official version. That is not the case - there is no official app or guide book. There are many, as well as being different for different routes.

I seems that you are asking about starting the Camino from the Cathedral in Lisbon. Any guidebook or app should give you a map showing how the route starts, and I would always recommend taking some sort of map . Some of the apps will allow your phone GPS to show exactly where you are, in relation to a line (the Camino) on a map.

I just posted some time lapse videos of the start of the Camino Francés by the forum's John Sikora. Now here's John's way out of Lisbon.

YouTube video id l-k4w63N1Xs

I saw one of the videos mentioning that it was hard to navigate to the entrance to El Camino from Se Cathedral in Lisbon.
And the 'official' start of the Camion Portuguese is not the Se Cathedral, but the Igreja de Santiago, on the Rua de Santiago. When I started, it was closed, and I got my first stamp at the cathedral.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just noting for Lizzy that ‘el camino’ is Spanish; the Portuguese equivalent is ‘o caminho’, where the nh is pronounced something like the Italian gn (as in lasagne) and the last vowel of both words is pronounced closer to a ‘u’ sound.

(And a general reminder that Portuguese people don’t love being spoken to in Spanish.)

I had no trouble navigating. I used a couple of different apps - Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim and the GPS on both worked great.

That said, there will be a new route out of Lisbon later on this year that you can read about here and here.
I’ll be down there soon to investigate the scene and interrogate the locals. And to scope out any other alternatives that may pop up. Expect a full update soon!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’ll be using the wise pilgrim app for the Portuguese next week, if I choose to turn my phone on. First time on that route but other apps in the same series have always been perfectly good.

I’m more analogue than digital, so my first port of call will be about 30 pages removed from a Brierley guide and a vague sense of which direction is north.

I’ll be down there soon to investigate the scene and interrogate the locals. And to scope out any other alternatives that may pop up. Expect a full update soon!
Thank you for all your efforts: I highly appreciate your Camino apps: All I need! For a miniscule/ridiculous cost: Very well done, thank you!'

Added to say: The wealth of info in your apps, like GPS tracking, details about each place, list of albergues with contact info (email, phone nos. etc.). I speak some/fair Spanish so I can call ahead for booking, info etc. It makes it all so much easier for me. And blissfully free of the quasi babble like in the Brierley guide(s) IMHO. Just the facts, the whole facts, and nothing but the facts. Thank you. :)

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for all your efforts: I highly appreciate your Camino apps: All I need! For a miniscule/ridiculous cost: Very well done, thank you!'

Added to say: The wealth of info in your apps, like GPS tracking, details about each place, list of albergues with contact info (email, phone nos. etc.). I speak some/fair Spanish so I can call ahead for booking, info etc. It makes it all so much easier for me. And blissfully free of the quasi babble like in the Brierley guide(s) IMHO. Just the facts, the whole facts, and nothing but the facts. Thank you. :)
I too enjoyed using a Wise Pilgrim book on the Camino Primitivo. But the Brierley books are fantastic and certainly not “babble” and anything that comes after them owes a great deal to the foundations laid by John Brierley.

I too enjoyed using a Wise Pilgrim book on the Camino Primitivo. But the Brierley books are fantastic and certainly not “babble” and anything that comes after them owes a great deal to the foundations laid by John Brierley.
I agree that it’s not babble. But I do not agree that John laid the foundation for everything that came after. He himself was building on the works of others that came before. I began my pilgrim life the year his first edition was published. Myself and many others remained unaware of his work for quite a few years, long after I began work on my own guides.

I agree that it’s not babble. But I do not agree that John laid the foundation for everything that came after. He himself was building on the works of others that came before.
Very true. The Camino Frances had already existed as a fully signposted and mapped route with detailed guidebooks for at least twenty years before Brierley's guide was published. I walked my first two Caminos using Elias Valiña's famous red guidebook and supplementary guides in English from the CSJ well before the first edition of Brierley's guide appeared. I am not a fan of Brierley's mystical musings and find all the information I need for my Camino journeys these days from other sources.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I too enjoyed using a Wise Pilgrim book on the Camino Primitivo.
I too bring the Wise paperback guide with me, for slow reading, contemplation, relaxed reading, & planning for the next days in my chill afternoons/evenings. It is a very good companion on The Way(s). And I am thus more accessible for other pilgrims (I hope) than when just sitting with my (isolated) nose in my iphone, (my feeling). I like to talk to others. But I normally use the Wise app for fast info...
Wifi.jpg

Last edited:
I’m not suggesting that Brierley wrote the Codex Calixtinus but I’m surprised to read glib comments disrespecting him on this forum. I appreciate anybody’s work helping pilgrims prepare for and walk the Camino. I hope this forum stays friendly.

I’m not suggesting that Brierley wrote the Codex Calixtinus but I’m surprised to read glib comments disrespecting him on this forum. I appreciate anybody’s work helping pilgrims prepare for and walk the Camino. I hope this forum stays friendly.
I'm going to go out on a limb and speak for everyone that has mentioned John above and say that there was no disrespect. John is a great guy, and it doesn't take long once you've sat down to chat for you to realize that he is 100% the person whose voice comes out in his books. He is true to his beliefs.

The comments above, which I could easily echo, are only to say that his style isn't for everyone. Nothing more and nothing less.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Back