• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Camino de 8 Compostelas- The Way of 8 Certificates

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
Sitting by a warm fire in the cozy Leenane Hotel in the heart of Connemara, Ireland, like other Camino veterans lamenting the coming winter I find my mind drifting back to thoughts of another Camino. Which one? An idea arises to share with fellow Camino Junkies looking for another challenge. And also for those who want to earn a single Compostela pondering which Camino to walk.

El Camino De 8 Compostelas- The Way of 8 Certificates.

This Camino is ideal for;
  1. Those people desiring multiple Compostelas can earn up to 8 in just 6 weeks.
  2. Pilgrims who love Galicia. The entire walk is in this lovely Region.
  3. Pilgrims whose favorite part of the Camino is walking into Santiago.

Of course if you have plenty of time the best way to experience the Camino de Santiago is to do so by starting from your home or if that is not possible from the classical beginning points. For example starting Camino Frances 790 kilometers from Santiago in St. Jean Pied de Port or Camino del Norte in Irun 825 kilometers from the Cathedral. The 8 Compostela Camino admittedly requires more planning but not significantly so. This walk requires up to 8 busses but fortunately short journeys of just over 100K from Santiago.

Below I will list the 8 segments of Camino de Ocho Compostelas and provide a brief overview of each:

1- Camino Frances starting in Sarria (117K). This is the most popular and most historical but also the most crowded.

2. Camino del Norte starting from Vilalba(122K) which allows for some quiet walking before connecting with the Camino Frances at Arzua(39K remaining on Frances). Also there is now a shortcut from Boimorto to Lavacolla which limits the walking on Frances to the last 10K. Alternatively to Vilalba one could start in Baamonde but not as accessible.

3. Camino Primitivo starting in Lugo(104k) provides a start in a beautiful city and like del Norte allows for some quiet reflection before connecting with Frances at Melide (55K remaining to Santiago).

4. Camino Ingles/Irish starting in Ferrol (118K) is a great alternative to Frances if you are going to do one short Camino to get a single certificate. This Camino is understandably getting more crowded but quieter than Frances and allows for stops in pleasant towns. Pontedeume is a picturesque coastal town and Betanzos is a nice stop. This walk does not connect with Frances until just a 100 meters or so from the Cathedral.

5. Camino Invierno starting in Monforte de Lemos (133K). If you are seeking solitude this is the best option. I walked this in August, 2019 and saw only 1 other pilgrim until A Laxe where you will connect with Camino Sanabres where you might run into a few more pilgrims for the final 50K.

6. Camino Sanabres starting from Ourense (116K) provides an easy access point and one of the more quiet of these 8 Caminos. If you like a quieter Camino but would like to have some connection with other pilgrims this would be a good alternative.

7. Camino Portuguese starting from Tui (110K) is an excellentoption. This walk is getting more and more popular but certainly less crowded than the Frances. If starting in another country is appealing one needs only to add another 2K and begin across the River Minho in Valenca, Portugal.

8. Camino Finisterre with a starting point in either Finisterre or Muxia (117K). Most people with extra time after a Camino will add a walk on to the edge of the world in either of these 2 beautiful but different coastal towns on the Atlantic. So you will mostly be passing other pilgrims coming from the other direction but why not if you are a contrarian.

In case you are wondering, I have walked all of these Caminos so while this overview reflects my personal opinions all have been enjoyable. There is no right or wrong, good or bad, on the Camino. It is the Camino and your Camino is YOUR Camino. Do what feels best for you.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
my strongest memory evoked by your post is the Parador in Monforte de Lemnos. The cloistered interior glassed in and overlooking their cistern roof. And their church. We once spent a week there for a local wedding. If your choice of starting point is a consideration and you have a few hundred euros to spare it is a lovely spot to linger.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well it was meant in jest.😂 I would never actually walk it either as a single Camino. And it would require standing in line too much as well.😂
well, you can choose, you either queue 9 times, one for each Compostela, or else keep all the credentials and sort them all out in one single visit to the oficina del peregrino 😆

Sitting by a warm fire in the cozy Leenane Hotel in the heart of Connemara, Ireland, like other Camino veterans lamenting the coming winter I find my mind drifting back to thoughts of another Camino. Which one? An idea arises to share with fellow Camino Junkies looking for another challenge. And also for those who want to earn a single Compostela pondering which Camino to walk.

Of course if you have plenty of time the best way to experience the Camino de Santiago is to do so by starting from your home or if that is not possible from the classical beginning points. For example starting Camino Frances 790 kilometers from Santiago in St. Jean Pied de Port or Camino del Norte in Irun 825 kilometers from the Cathedral. The 8 Compostela Camino admittedly requires more planning but not significantly so. This walk requires up to 8 busses but fortunately short journeys of just over 100K from Santiago.

Below I will list the 8 segments of Camino de Ocho Compostelas and provide a brief overview of each:

1- Camino Frances starting in Sarria (117K). This is the most popular and most historical but also the most crowded.

2. Camino del Norte starting from Vilalba(122K) which allows for some quiet walking before connecting with the Camino Frances at Arzua(39K remaining on Frances). Also there is now a shortcut from Boimorto to Lavacolla which limits the walking on Frances to the last 10K. Alternatively to Vilalba one could start in Baamonde but not as accessible.

3. Camino Primitivo starting in Lugo(104k) provides a start in a beautiful city and like del Norte allows for some quiet reflection before connecting with Frances at Melide (55K remaining to Santiago).

4. Camino Ingles/Irish starting in Ferrol (118K) is a great alternative to Frances if you are going to do one short Camino to get a single certificate. This Camino is understandably getting more crowded but quieter than Frances and allows for stops in pleasant towns. Pontedeume is a picturesque coastal town and Betanzos is a nice stop. This walk does not connect with Frances until just a 100 meters or so from the Cathedral.

5. Camino Invierno starting in Monforte de Lemos (133K). If you are seeking solitude this is the best option. I walked this in August, 2019 and saw only 1 other pilgrim until A Laxe where you will connect with Camino Sanabres where you might run into a few more pilgrims for the final 50K.

6. Camino Sanabres starting from Ourense (116K) provides an easy access point and one of the more quiet of these 8 Caminos. If you like a quieter Camino but would like to have some connection with other pilgrims this would be a good alternative.

7. Camino Portuguese starting from Tui (110K) is an excellentoption. This walk is getting more and more popular but certainly less crowded than the Frances. If starting in another country is appealing one needs only to add another 2K and begin across the River Minho in Valenca, Portugal.

8. Camino Finisterre with a starting point in either Finisterre or Muxia (117K). Most people with extra time after a Camino will add a walk on to the edge of the world in either of these 2 beautiful but different coastal towns on the Atlantic. So you will mostly be passing other pilgrims coming from the other direction but why not if you are a contrarian.

In case you are wondering, I have walked all of these Caminos so while this overview reflects my personal opinions all have been enjoyable. There is no right or wrong, good or bad, on the Camino. It is the Camino and your Camino is YOUR Camino. Do what feels best for you.

Buen Camino!
Official required starting point on Invierno is now Chantada.

Starting in either Fisterra or Muxia wouldn't be enough. If you start in Fisterra you have to go through Muxia and then to SdC and vice versa (Mux-Fis-SdC).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Good point. I walked 5 different Caminos this year which involved walking 3 times into Santiago. I am not too big on certificates but went in with a friend after the last one and they asked me how many I wanted. 😂 I told them one was enough.

well, you can choose, you either queue 9 times, one for each Compostela, or else keep all the credentials and sort them all out in one single visit to the oficina del peregrino 😆

Last edited:
I had to look up Monro bagging. I suppose that your framer might give you a discount for all those compostelas, but you run the risk of being recognized at the Pilgrim's office and being denied the 8th or 90th on the basis of lacking spiritual intent!

You could leave a larger bag in Santiago with fresh clothes and alternate foorwear. Depending on the forecast, you could leave your raingear and warmer stuff in the bag. No need to do laundry. 😳

The problem would be psyching yourself up to restart after the first few.

It would be a way to get a whole lot of 'in vicare pro' compostelas in one trip ...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes that’s the idea. It’s about 117K as stated starting in either Muxia Or Finisterre and walking through the other town on the way to Santiago.

Official required starting point on Invierno is now Chantada.

Starting in either Fisterra or Muxia wouldn't be enough. If you start in Fisterra you have to go through Muxia and then to SdC and vice versa (Mux-Fis-SdC).

Buen Camino!

Hi Kevin, planning for route 8, starting in Muxia to Finisterre then on to Santiago. You mentioned walking all routes and I just wanted to confirm you received a Compostella for this reverse route? Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Kevin, planning for route 8, starting in Muxia to Finisterre then on to Santiago. You mentioned walking all routes and I just wanted to confirm you received a Compostella for this reverse route? Thanks!

No I have typically started from outside Spain or Irun and Seville. I’ve walked santiago to Finisterre and Muxia 5 times I think. But you are walking 117K starting in Muxia so no reason at all why they would not give you a Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back