• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Camino de Santiago

jlkennedy

I would like to hear what others have to say about doing the Camino. I have done it three times and plan to do it again this summer. It is a passion I have. Here is a thought; finally getting to Santiago is the ultimate anti-climatic experience. Pilgrims spend many days walking hundreds on kilometers all in an effort to arrive at the cathedral for the pilgrims' mass and recieve the coveted compestella. Every day encouraging each other to press on through the blisters and sore muscles onward to Santiago, we would go only to arrive in this beautiful city and then the adventure is over. The Camino is not about arriving at the cathedral, it is about the adventure getting there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pilgrim Arrival at Santiago

I read with interest the posting from fellow pilgrim jlkennedy. In typical British fashion I both agree and disagree. I spent five weeks on the Camino -Sept/Oct 2003 - including two days with severe food poisoning. I arrived in Santiago with a fellow pilgrim, a Canadian gent of sixty years recently recovered from cancer, who I had met on route. We arrived at about 1p.m. and prayed briefly in the Cathedral, during the end of Mass, then went to the Pilgrim Office. With my 'Compostela' in hand I walk the town seven foot tall, I booked into the 'Suso' and talked with many I had met on route. I felt marvellous!! I gazed down on the mere tourists with disdain. I was buzzing with joy and pride. However the next day I too felt the anti-climax you speak of. I think this was due to the fact I was flying home that afternoon leaving behind so many who had become friends on route. I must say though my spirit soured during the very 'medieval' pilgrim Mass and Botifumerio 'swing'. I was back in London by 5 o'clock that evening, a scruffy unshaven sunburnt backpacked inconvenience on a London Underground train. Whilst you don't want my life history I returned to the route - St Jean to Santiago by car at the end of March - snow bound Pyrenees - and drove my wife along the whole route, showing hostels I had stayed at along the way. We walked from the car park to the Cathedral, I thinking it would 'wow' her. I found the experience a total anticlimax, Cathedral front dirty and dull. My wife preferred Burgos Cathedral. Maybe coming back is not a good idea. Have you returned too often? Having said that I hope to walk the Camino Portugese in April 2005 PILGRIM

Arriving in Santiago

I could not agree more. Walked the Via de la Plata earlier this year ( my virgin voyage) and was shocked when I reached Santiago. So many busses, so many tourists (not pilgrims). At the pilgrim's mass it was the pilgrims that had to make way for the tourists. My dissapointment saw no end and it was a wise man who put this experience in the ight contexyt for me.

My real journey started when I got back home. Now I am looking forward to my next camino. Hopefully in October 2005.

May you all have a wonderfull 2005.

Nicholas

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back