• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Camino del Norte- Monasteries and Convents.

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés May-June 2016
Hello fellow Pilgrims :) Does anyone have experience or/know of monasteries or convents that welcome male pilgrims, or of quiet, traditional Albergues on the El Camino del Norte please? Any advice or recommendation welcome. I plan to take my pilgramage in 2017. Many thanks. Keith.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello fellow Pilgrims :) Does anyone have experience or/know of monasteries or convents that welcome male pilgrims, or of quiet, traditional Albergues on the El Camino del Norte please? Any advice or recommendation welcome. I plan to take my pilgramage in 2017. Many thanks. Keith.

Try this

Attachments

• MonasteriesSpain.pdf
    158.7 KB · Views: 37
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Cobreces has an albergue (didn't care much for the lodging but it was OK), they also have rooms I think) and you can attend services with them; in 2012 the email was ocsoacv@planalfa.es; they may also have rooms for males where the monks live--for obvious reasons I didn't ask;

the Convent of St Francis in Loredo was nice, i think they have dorms and rooms for both genders, I stayed in a room for females only in a different section. The guest house might have been a better idea, I was kind of locked in...the phone then was 942 606600 and 942 606141, fax 942 606600,...don't know if you can attend services, I arrived late in day and left early

Most, including me, walked through Noja in favor of getting to Guermes (I decision I would do over but I am in a tiny minority)...in Noja the Convento Santa Maria de la Merced, tele 942 630 086

In Ziortza, the monastery has an albergue...there were only five monks in 2012 so don't know if it is still there, but the best night I had in 90 days of caminos; welcome to join their services

if you are taking the turn to oviedo, the monks at Valdedios have (had) both albergue and private rooms, I don't know the albergue side but with the room I was welcomed to join meals and services (no one was in the albergue then). I think they may also have something for males only on their side of the monastery (I was bouncing around an empty other side), although I was allowed into the more 'common' areas like the chapel, cloister, etc, there was some off-limits areas for me as a female

these are the Norte ones off the top of my head, if I think of more I"ll add them
Buen Camino

edit: I feel compelled to edit to expand on my CObreces comment. The albergue was pretty dusty, and what I should have done was asked for some cleaning supplies. I think they don't have many monks still living in most of these huge, huge places, and upkeep for them (especially since many are aging) is probably a never ending task. I did clean a bit in Ziortza (there were some supplies in the room, and the room was clean, perhaps from monks, or from prior pilgrims)...even if you don't stay there you will pass by and you will see what I mean about just too much for five elderly men to handle on their own.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Cobreces has an albergue (didn't care much for the lodging but it was OK), they also have rooms I think) and you can attend services with them; in 2012 the email was ocsoacv@planalfa.es; they may also have rooms for males where the monks live--for obvious reasons I didn't ask;

the Convent of St Francis in Loredo was nice, i think they have dorms and rooms for both genders, I stayed in a room for females only in a different section. The guest house might have been a better idea, I was kind of locked in...the phone then was 942 606600 and 942 606141, fax 942 606600,...don't know if you can attend services, I arrived late in day and left early

Most, including me, walked through Noja in favor of getting to Guermes (I decision I would do over but I am in a tiny minority)...in Noja the Convento Santa Maria de la Merced, tele 942 630 086

In Ziortza, the monastery has an albergue...there were only five monks in 2012 so don't know if it is still there, but the best night I had in 90 days of caminos; welcome to join their services

if you are taking the turn to oviedo, the monks at Valdedios have (had) both albergue and private rooms, I don't know the albergue side but with the room I was welcomed to join meals and services (no one was in the albergue then). I think they may also have something for males only on their side of the monastery (I was bouncing around an empty other side), although I was allowed into the more 'common' areas like the chapel, cloister, etc, there was some off-limits areas for me as a female

these are the Norte ones off the top of my head, if I think of more I"ll add them
Buen Camino

edit: I feel compelled to edit to expand on my CObreces comment. The albergue was pretty dusty, and what I should have done was asked for some cleaning supplies. I think they don't have many monks still living in most of these huge, huge places, and upkeep for them (especially since many are aging) is probably a never ending task. I did clean a bit in Ziortza (there were some supplies in the room, and the room was clean, perhaps from monks, or from prior pilgrims)...even if you don't stay there you will pass by and you will see what I mean about just too much for five elderly men to handle on their own.
This is great, thank you. Keith

Near the end of the Norte is Sobrado dos Monxes, with a wonderful enormous Cistercian monastery. Huge church which they only 'abandoned' in this century I think. They have a new very modern, and modernistic, chapel now, within the enclosure, which provides a beautiful liturgical space. They have a lot of albergue accommodation (100+ spaces I think). I was there in May and there were only half a dozen or so in the albergue. Guests are welcome to mass and morning and evening prayer. During 'siesta' in the afternoon, if you are in you cannot get out, and if you are out, you cannot get in! I loved it, and in fact, as others have, I diverted from the Primitivo to reach it.

Hi, Smallest_Sparrow, I am assuming that this comment means that most of the people you were walking with did not enjoy the after-dinner "educational session" in Guemes? Or was there something else about it? I stayed there years ago (before the expansion I've read about) and I think it remains one of the most popular albergues on the Norte, but I could understand a negative reaction to the session.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Smallest_Sparrow, I am assuming that this comment means that most of the people you were walking with did not enjoy the after-dinner "educational session" in Guemes? Or was there something else about it? I stayed there years ago (before the expansion I've read about) and I think it remains one of the most popular albergues on the Norte, but I could understand a negative reaction to the session.

I worded it poorly...I meant most would do it again, I would not if given a chance to do over. It had nothing to do with the after dinner talk. There was just too much smoking going on everywhere. The place was like being in an ash tray. I didn't find it to be as magical as described, nothing significantly better than other places I'd been on the Frances and Norte before, or any of the routes I walked after...and it was not as good as some even without the smoking issue. It was an OK albergue that reeked of smoke. I wouldn't stay again. But I always say, that is just me, and that everyone else seems to have loved it.

Near the end of the Norte is Sobrado dos Monxes, with a wonderful enormous Cistercian monastery. Huge church which they only 'abandoned' in this century I think. They have a new very modern, and modernistic, chapel now, within the enclosure, which provides a beautiful liturgical space. They have a lot of albergue accommodation (100+ spaces I think). I was there in May and there were only half a dozen or so in the albergue. Guests are welcome to mass and morning and evening prayer. During 'siesta' in the afternoon, if you are in you cannot get out, and if you are out, you cannot get in! I loved it, and in fact, as others have, I diverted from the Primitivo to reach it.
Many thanks for that. It sounds perfect! Best wishes, Keith.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back