• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Camino Frances in 17-19 days

Marcel234

“Not all those who wander are lost.”
Time of past OR future Camino
2009/10/11/12/13/14/15/16 and this June 2017
Hi y'all,

I Marcel from The Netherlands. I've been on the camino a couple of times:
- July 2009, from St. Jean to Sahagun with 2 friends
- August 2010 from Sahagun to Santiago with sister and 3 friends
- November 2010 from st Jean to Sahagun, skipping a few parts with bus, alone
- December 2011 from Sevilla to Merida, alone
- May 2012 from st Jean to Pamplona, with father, sister and friend

I'm doing a (part of the) camino every year. I never did a whole camino in one stretch. I would love to do that, but I only have 3 weeks of. So I'm thinking about doing the Frances in 17 to 19 days. Averaging 40+ km a day.

Did anyone of you guys do something like this. Physically I can prepare myself. But Ilove the social part of the camino and I think it can be very lonely doing it like this. What do you think?

Would you maybe prefer another camino (shorter) than the Frances. For example the primitivo?

Thx guys!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You have walked the camino, albeit in sections, so you know what it is like. And you know your own level of fitness... I think you have answered your own question really :)

It would not be for me, I'd rather pick a shorter route with that time scale. And it sounds too much of an endurance test... But buen camino whatever you decide !

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I agree with fortview that you really have all the information you need to make the decision on whether to walk the Frances in that time frame. I think you're right to think that it may be a bit lonely, even though you will never be alone. The loneliness will come from the fact that you are unlikely to see any of the same people from one night to the next, it will be an ever-changing group of new people who are all walking in the 25-30 range. I walk on solitary caminos a lot, and I don't mind being alone when there's no one else around, but I think that's different from being alone when you're surrounded by people, if that makes any sense.

But the one thing I will add is that with your timeframe, you have time to walk from Leon to Oviedo (Camino del Salvador) and then Oviedo to Santiago (Primitivo). HIGHLY recommended. There are lots of threads about this in the Salvador and Primitivo parts of the forum.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with the above posters. You are an experienced pilgrim and have done the Francés several times. There are so many wonderful Caminos to be walked. Laurie suggested two or why not finish the Via de la Plata from Mérida? There are some wonderful towns and cities to the North.

Should you still be contemplating the Francés in 3 weeks here is a link to my original post:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/camino-frances-albergues-pensions-and-hostals/topic9169.html
And here are my stages. See my comments in my OP for information regarding the albergues and how I ended up doing this. I think it will answer some of your questions. If not, just let me know.
Happy planning!

Day 1: SJPdP - Roncevaux (Roncesvalles) 27 km
Day 2: Roncevalles- Pamplona 42,5
Day 3: Pamplona-Estella 46,2
Day 4: Estella-Viana 40,4
Day 5: Viana- Nájera 42,4
Day 6: Nájera-Grañon 27,3
Day 7: Grañon-Villafranca Montes de Oca 28,4 (got lost+9=37,4)
Day 8: Villafranca-Burgos 39,6 (=/- river route so may be different)
Day 9: Burgos-Castrojeriz 40,3
Day 10:Castrojeriz-Carrión de los Contes 44
Day 11:Carrión-Sahagún 37
Day 12:Sahagún-León 51
Day 13:León-Hospital de Orbigo 36,4
Day 14:Hospital-Foncebadón 42
Day 15:Foncebadón-Cacabelos 42,9
Day 16:Cacabelos-O Cebreiro 37,7
Day 17:O Cebreiro-Sarria 44,9
Day 18:Sarria-Os Chacotes 45,1
Day 19:Os Chacotes-Arca/Pedrouzo 48,5
Day 20:pedrouzo-Santiago 20,3
Day 21:Santiago-Vilaserio 34
Day 22:Vilaserio-Corcubión 45
Day 23:Corcubión-Finisterre 12 (July 25th)

peregrina2000 said:
I don't mind being alone when there's no one else around, but I think that's different from being alone when you're surrounded by people, if that makes any sense.

Yes it does make sense.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back