• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Camino Frances in November - Seeking fellow Pilgrims

Hi Everyone,

My name is Danny, I am currently finishing classes in Salamanca and have made the spontaneous decision to hike el Camino beginning on Monday/Tuesday October 24/25 from either Roncesvalles, or St J.D.P.

I am quite experienced in wilderness hiking in British Columbia, Canada and feel like hiking el Camino is something that I must take on as I have sufficient time, strength and willpower. I am fascinated by the history of this pilgrimmage.

My question is..... Are there any other pilgrims starting to walk along these dates? I realize that the weather may not be optimal, however I have optimal clothing for all weather and terrain, and I am quite accustomed to hiking in rain and sometimes snow. I would love to hear from anyone that is planning on starting from either of these locations, or perhaps a different location on the same dates? My reason being as it will be the end of October, I would very much prefer to cross the mountains with a group or at least one other person. I hope to hear from anyone with advice, comments, or similar trekking plans. Thanks so much!

Danny

Love the Earth

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You may not find anyone on the Forum who is walking at exactly that time, but the Pilgrim Office is still receiving over 600 pilgrims a day. They started a month ago, so the numbers you may see will be a bit smaller, but there still will be hundreds per day. It will only take minutes for you to find other pilgrims, and within days you will find a changing group that walks at about your pace. Expect "older" pilgrims, as the "youth" tend to walk in the summer.

Buen camino!

Hi Falcon,

Thanks very much for your post. Its comforting to know there will be other pilgrims following the same route as me around the same time.

If you have the time to reply Falcon, do you think it is wise for me to begin in Roncesvalles on the 24th, or should I take a taxi to SJDP and start from there? I am going to be travelling to my starting point from San Sebastian, and I am aware that this might be a bit tricky. I guess it really all is weather depending!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
depends on your plans

if you have a deadline to reach Santiago , or keep walking to Finister, for how much time do you want to hike? from SJPDP to S.will take no less then 32 days, 4 days to Finister, add some zero days.

I am not a particularly ambitious or competitive person, so I would start in Pamplona or Roncesvalles. Crossing the Pyrenees is something of a test of fire, so many recommend it. The views are nice, but often obscured by fog. You have enough time to start at St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port, but getting there from San Sebastian will take a day. Chacun a son gout. Pick your preference!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello

Ah Vancouver BC what a nice place you are from!

I would recommend you start your hike from France.
It faily easy hike, my girlfriend (from Vancouver too) and I did it in under 6 hours with lots of photo breaks and one half hour lunch break.

You hike up is mostly on narrow roads. But the view of the vally and mtn's is really nice.

It's a beautiful hike can easily compare with hike like the Chiefe in Squamish and Hikes to rainbow lake and such in the whistler area.

I would recommend you go straight from San Sebastian to France.

Take the train from San Sebastian to Hendaye in France, it under 3 euro dead cheap.
They leave every half hour.

Then take a train from there to Bayonne, and from Bayonne to St. PdP.

That will be not only fastest but also cheaper.

Have a awesome trip.

We will be in Santiago on November 1.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hola - a couple of years ago I started from St JdPP on 11 November. Before I reached the top of the hill I had met 5 other pilgrims who I walked with almost every day to Burgos. You will definitely meet other people if you want to.

Buen camino

John

Hola John y Ramasjang,

Thank you so much for your replies, again it is truly comforting to receive feedback from fellow pilgrims! As each day passes I am becoming more and more excited for this journey I am about to take on. I guess I was feeling a little nervous because a friend of my mine basically told me that I was crazy to begin this hike in France, and to begin solo.

I am so glad to hear that other experienced pilgrims say that this is a fine idea. I am an extremely open person and I cannot wait to trade stories, aspirations, and culture with my fellow peregrinos.
Ramasjang, the very reason that I have elected to begin from France is for that very reason, the beauty of the landscape. Coming from a place where many of us take for granted our paisajes verdes I want to see la naturaleza of France and Spain. I will most definitly be taking photos as I walk mindfully, reflecting on the amazing experience I have just had in Spain.
I came here at the end of August after graduating from the University of Victoria in Environmental Science, and it being my first experience in Europe, I have had the time of my life. And after much discussion with my professors, I have decided that since I have ample time and determination, I am going to undertake el Camino.

I can already feel the companionship from all who have responded to my post. And I cannot wait to begin this journey of a lifetime. Ramasjang, may you walk with peace of mind and enjoy your remaining kilometros through Galicia.

Buen camino,
Danny

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi everybody! I am planning to go in November as well on my own and was a little concerned about there not being a lot of people or accommodation but it is all sounding promising!! I only decided yesterday to do this so still have things to sort any info is welcomed!!
Julie

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back