• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Camino Inglés this summer

shelly111

Anybody going to do El Camino Inglés this summer?

I live in Spain and have always wanted to walk the Pilgrim's Way so have decided to make a start with El Camino Inglés this summer. If anyone out there is thinking of doing this route in August I would very much like to hear from you as I'd rather do it in company than alone. Hope to hear from someone/lots of people soon :)
Shelly

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Shelly :D
I'll be walking the Camino Ingles in October.
If you go ahead with your walk,I'd love to hear how you got on.
Kind regards from a wet,cool Ireland.
Terry. :p

Hello Terry :D
Greetings from a hot and sticky Barcelona. Good to hear from you. I've been busy buying things I need on the walk so I suppose it means I've made up my mind to go ahead with my plans. I'll be delighted to let you know how I get on. Hope to fly to A Coruña on August 5th and then make my way to Ferrol by bus or train to start the walk from there.
Best regards
Suzanne :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino Ingles

Plan to do the Camino as per Monday 7th August in 4 stages and then go to Finisterre. Can anyone recommend any accomodation (hotel, auberge etc) in Mino, Bruma and Sigueiro?

Hi Lorenzo :) ,
I'll be starting the Camino from Ferrol on the 6th of August. Where are you starting from? There is an auberge in Mino, Rúa Marismas and also one in Bruma, no address given. Apparently there is only one place to stay in Sigueiro, Hotel Miras. I suggest you check out the info given by someone who did the Camino Ingles earlier on this year. There is a lot of excellent information there. It's posted in the forum on El Camino Ingles. I have found all sorts of information online and bought a very good book (in Spanish) so if you would like any further information, just send me a message. If not, perhaps we'll meet up somewhere along the Camino :D ! Good luck ,
Suzanne

I am starting in Ferrol on the 7th from the city centre. I will be flying to Santiago on the Sunday and get the bus to Ferrol on the same day so to spend the evening there. In theory I plan to walk 6-8 hours every day, hence aiming to do between 35-45km per day, depending on terrain, weather etc etc.
Having said that I have a couple of day as a reserve, currenly planned for Finisterre beach!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
august - camino

Hi Shelly

when will you be travelling ? I arrive in Santiago on the 4th August and will begin walking from Sarria back to Santiago the next day...All the best

:)

Paul

Hi Paul :)
I'm setting off from Ferrol on Sunday August 6th, will arrive in Santiago probably on Wednesday. I don't want to rush things, prefer to take my time and enjoy the countryside. If you are starting from Sarria we won't be walking in the same direction but who knows perhaps we'll see each other in Santiago :) BUEN CAMINO... Shelly

Hi Shelly :D

I've decided to spend my first night in Santiago (4 th aug) then travel to Sarria via bus on Friday morning, then i'll start to walk back to sdc. Arriving in Sarria at midnight would be too much of a hassle.
Have the time of your life, who knows we might meet up somewhere..
8)
Buen Camino
Paul

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've travelled a lot in my life but I have to admit that walking the Camino Inglés from Ferrol to Santiago was one of the most uplifting experiences I've ever had.

First of all thanks to Bill Murphy for the excellent guide he provided and thanks also to the many tips I picked up from the forums from experienced pilgrims regarding what to take (and not to take) etc.

I actually took a little longer than Bill to complete the walk but mainly because I wanted time to explore some of the wonderful places on the way like Pontedeume and Betanzos. With regard to the weather, it was extremely hot all week, not a drop of rain and I saw several fires on the way.

The first day I walked from Ferrol to Pontedeume. Getting out of Ferrol is a nightmare due to the construction of a new road which has more or less obliterated the Camino. One of the locals pointed me in the right direction I am glad to say and once I got out of Ferrol everything was much easier. As Bill says, the scenery is very reminiscent of Devon. I got to Neda where the first albergue is at midday but decided to push on to Pontedeume where I arrived at about 5pm. Pontedeume is a nice little place in spite of the horrendous climb out of the town to continue the Camino. The next day I got as far as Miño which was a relatively short walk but decided to spend the night at the albergue. There was also a lot of construction work going on just before arriving at Miño which made things a little difficult sometimes as there weren't that many way marks I. So far I had been completely on my own and hadn't met any fellow pilgrims on the camino so I was very pleasantly surprised when a group of three people came into the albergue, to be followed a bit later by two girls and finally by two young men on bicycles. What a crowd!!! The following morning six of us decided to continue the Camino together and in fact we stayed together until Santiago. I didnt mind being on my own and having read previous accounts of the Camino Inglés had convinced myself that I would probably have to do all of it on my own, but I must admit that having company made it easier especially when it came to looking for way marks which are sometimes quite well hidden. From Miño we made our way to Betanzos where we stayed overnight so we could explore this very pretty small town. It is definitely worth doing a bit of sightseeing here, the tourist office will give information about the things to see. After Miño it was on to Bruma and this is certainly the hardest stretch of this particular camino. It really is necessary to take plenty of water and something to eat here as most of the walk is in very isolated places and it is hard going in some places. However, getting to the albergue in Bruma which has only been open a couple of years makes up for the effort. Be advised that there are no shops/bars nearby to get food. It is quite a walk to the nearest supermarket. The next day we did the Bruma to Sigüeiro part of the Camino and this was rather a relief as it was quite flat compared to previous days. Some beautiful countryside on this part of the walk too. In Sigüiero there is no albergue but a sports centre is available for pilgrims who wish to spend the night in this town. Nothing of historic interest to see here, but there is a swimming pool near the sports centre which was great for relaxing after the walk. The last day!!! Sigüiero to Santiago. The beginning of the walk is fine but there is a very long stretch of road with no shade at all and it takes about an hour more or less to walk it. It was very sad to see the damage left by the forest fires, in some places it was the Camino that stopped the fires from spreading even more. When we finally came within sight of Santiago the problems began…they are constructing a new industrial estate exactly where the Camino enters Santiago so in order to get on the main road into the city, we had to do a very long roundabout detour which probably added on about 4 or 5 more kms. Very few way marks here, just keep going towards the city. Once we got to the city there were no way marks for the Camino Ingles, or we didn’t see any, we just followed the signs to the Cathedral. Santiago is a beautiful city, although obviously in August it is full of people, not just pilgrims but also holidaymakers.

I would like to advise people considering doing this route that they make sure they have plenty of water, not many fountains on the way although the local people are happy to fill up water bottles if asked. Also, in some places there are very few way marks but at the beginning of the camino out of Ferrol there are some white and red arrows painted on the ground which in fact can be followed without problem. During the later stages of the Camino, the arrows were black and sometimes green. According to the person in charge of the albergue at Bruma this is because they ran out of yellow paint!!!! As I said we did the whole camino in particularly hot weather but I think it would be quite hard going in wet weather as it would be extremely muddy in many places.

If anyone would like more info please contact me, I will be more than happy to pass on my personal experience of the Camino Inglés. I'll also post some photos here as well.

BUEN CAMINO to all future pilgrims! :)

Camino Ingles.

Hello again Suzanne, :)
Looks like you had a wonderful Camino.
I will be flying into Santiago on 3rd October and getting a bus to Ferrol to begin my walk.
I would be grateful for any other hints and a list of where you stayed during your walk.
Kind regards from a wet,cold and miserable Ireland.
Terry. 8)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there. I’m thinking of spending around five to seven days walking the Ingles, and would be interested in getting some input. I’ve walked the Portuges from Porto to Santiago, before continuing...
So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back