Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Camino invierno in March

keavs

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances y Invierno
Is anyone doing el Camino invierno or have done it in March? I am doing Camino Frances until ponferrada and was planning on Camino invierno after that. Was just curious if anyone had insight on what to expect from it in a few weeks with other pilgrims, weather, accommodations, etc? Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have walked the Invierno several times, but never in March. There has been a huge promotional campaign and a lot of money (millions of euros) spent on the Invierno, and I expect its numbers will be rising gradually. I would be surprised if you saw no one, but there will probably be no crowds. The good thing about the Invierno (for covid purposes anyway) is that since so many of the accommodations are privately owned (very few municipal albergues), most everything remains open.

You should scroll through the Invierno sub-forum. Here’s a recent live report, but this pilgrim walked in January. I am pretty sure you will find more companionship.

It’s a wonderful camino. I’ll be interested to hear how the transition from the Francés goes for you. Buen camino, Laurie

I too am planning to walk the CF, starting March 22, then switch to the Invierno on April 21.
I followed your very helpful planning thread last year, @peregrina2000 . I’m wondering if you can tell me the current state of accommodation in Villavieja and Las Medulas. I would like to book in both places in advance but Gronze and Brierley don’t agree on what is available. Gronze gives an email address for the albergue in Villavieja. Do you know if this is current? Brierley lists an albergue in Las Medulas, La Senda. Do you know whether this albergue is operating? It is not listed on Gronze.
Also, I can see on Gronze that there is a shortcut route to Salceda, which I think is different from the route Brierley suggests. Do you know whether the shortcut route is signed to Salceda?
Thank you for any help you can offer,
Rowena

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m wondering if you can tell me the current state of accommodation in Villavieja and Las Medulas. I would like to book in both places in advance but Gronze and Brierley don’t agree on what is available. Gronze gives an email address for the albergue in Villavieja. Do you know if this is current? Brierley lists an albergue in Las Medulas, La Senda. Do you know whether this albergue is operating? It is not listed on Gronze.
Hi, Rowena,
I have sent a WhatsApp to the owner of La Senda, and also to the Agoga, which is more expensive but very pilgrim friendly.

Edited to add: I just heard from the Owner of La Senda, and they are only renting the albergue out as a casa rural, so you have to rent the whole thing. She told me that they hope to get back to albergue functioning but not till covid is in the rear view mirror. So it may be a while.

I’ve also contacted the ayuntamiento/town hall of Priaranza del Bierzo, which is the municipality in which the hamlet of Villavieja is located. They are currently seeking a new licensee for the albergue (after having two or three who didn’t last more than a year), but my impression is that the place is still open and run by the town hall.

Edited to add: The gmail address listed in Gronze goes to the person who was Villavieja’s last hospitalera. She directed me to the Ayuntamiento, which I had already emailed, so let’s see what I hear back.

I’ll let you know what I can find out.
Also, I can see on Gronze that there is a shortcut route to Salceda, which I think is different from the route Brierley suggests. Do you know whether the shortcut route is signed to Salceda?
Thank you for any help you can offer,
Rowena

I think you mean Salcedo, in between Quiroga and Pobra de Brollón. There is a trail that seems to be marked, which leaves the Camino soon after crossing the bridge into Barxa de Lor. This post should be the one that gives info on the different ways to get there. If I’ve messed up the link, let me know, but it is a post of mine, no. 77, in another Invierno thread.

Last edited:
Thank you, yes, I did mean Salcedo. Is PensiĂłn Pacita still closed?
Hope to hear from you if you find out more.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is anyone doing el Camino invierno or have done it in March? I am doing Camino Frances until ponferrada and was planning on Camino invierno after that. Was just curious if anyone had insight on what to expect from it in a few weeks with other pilgrims, weather, accommodations, etc? Thanks!

I did camino Invierno february 2020.

Amazing camino. Nice weather. Only very little rain.

A camino that Can be Nice all year around. Amazing nature.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, Rowena,
I have sent a WhatsApp to the owner of La Senda, and also to the Agoga, which is more expensive but very pilgrim friendly.

Edited to add: I just heard from the Owner of La Senda, and they are only renting the albergue out as a casa rural, so you have to rent the whole thing. She told me that they hope to get back to albergue functioning but not till covid is in the rear view mirror. So it may be a while.

I’ve also contacted the ayuntamiento/town hall of Priaranza del Bierzo, which is the municipality in which the hamlet of Villavieja is located. They are currently seeking a new licensee for the albergue (after having two or three who didn’t last more than a year), but my impression is that the place is still open and run by the town hall.

Edited to add: The gmail address listed in Gronze goes to the person who was Villavieja’s last hospitalera. She directed me to the Ayuntamiento, which I had already emailed, so let’s see what I hear back.

I’ll let you know what I can find out.

I think you mean Salcedo, in between Quiroga and Pobra de Brollón. There is a trail that seems to be marked, which leaves the Camino soon after crossing the bridge into Barxa de Lor. This post should be the one that gives info on the different ways to get there. If I’ve messed up the link, let me know, but it is a post of mine, no. 77, in another Invierno thread.
You are Queen Laurie of all Caminos!!!!!

Brierley lists an albergue in Las Medulas, La Senda. Do you know whether this albergue is operating?
Now that we know that the albergue La Senda is not operating as an albergue, and Casa Socorro still seems to be closed (maybe permanently), I think the best bet is Complejo Rural Agoga. If you are alone it will be pricey but their website has good prices for pilgrims for double and triple rooms. I’ve never heard a bad word about the Agoga on the forum. They do a very heavy lunch business for tour buses, but I’ve eaten there several times and the food is really quite decent.

They will leave out a breakfast for you if you want to leave before they open.

Very comfortable, IMO.

Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks, Laurie. I’ll take a look at the website. It’s wonderful to be planning another Camino!
Rowena

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Did you do it in March? I am curious as well!

Walked the Invierno mid-March last year. Quiet, solitary and easy to follow (plenty of new stone camino markers). Also a route where the shortest distance most definitely isn't a straight line - as it meanders around property rights ; )

Accommodation wasn't an issue at all. Highty recommend Casa Rose (donativo in Puente de Domingo Florez) - family run, a labor of love, candle lit window, interesting conversations w/ owners - and an embarrassingly large breakfast laid out for an early morning start.

Saw no other pilgrims until Lalin (guestbooks showed another walker a few stages ahead). And really this is the time to walk these lessor known routes - they'll only become more popular as others seek a less crowded experience.

easy to follow (plenty of new stone camino markers)
That is no exaggeration, I would say the Camino de Invierno is the most highly sign-ed camino in all of Spain. Frequently bordering on overkill, but it’s the result of someone’s idea of a good way to spend a few million euro.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back