• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

el Camino is much better now than it was 1000 years ago!

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Some people wistfully lament that the Camino is changing from what they perceived it to be in the old days (a pure, religious experience for holy pilgrims), to a cheap holiday for some, and a commercial venture for others. “These are the people who are denigrating the tradition of the pilgrimage’. This really is an airy-fairy view – a million miles from what the pilgrimage really was like 1000 years ago.

El Camino de Santiago might have started out as a ‘pathway to heaven’ 1200 years ago but the rot set in a long, long time ago (not in this century). Actually, it had already been denigrated around the beginning of the 1500’s. If you read enough history about the Camino you soon learn that the majority of those who walked it through the ages were far from pious, religious people with love in their hearts and heaven on their minds. Besides the thousands of wrong-doers and criminals who were sent to Santiago, the roads were choked with hoards of beggars and unemployed vagabonds. “Falsos peregrines" (false pilgrims – unemployed, those who owed taxes, fugitives etc) walked the roads to Santiago and made use of the charitable facilities along the way. So much so that all along the pilgrim routes people began to mistrust and scorn pilgrims.

Robert Plotz tells us that, “in 1523 the city council of Bern, which lay on the pilgrim route from Einsiedeln to France, decided to direct away all beggars, be they from the country, returning from the wars or pilgrims on the road to St. James, and not to house them or give them shelter. Local by-laws throughout Europe, e.g. in Douai and in Compostela itself or in Tyrol province in 1532 reflected the same tendency.” (Imagine if you were turned away today because you you were considered a risk to society!)

Not all pilgrims took a year or more to walk to Santiago and back home. It was not uncommon in the Middle Ages for the pilgrimage to be combined with business or made purely for the joy of travelling and adventure, or an escape from a wretched life of servitude back home. From the end of the 15th century, anyone in a hurry, who could afford it, could travel with the postal service – a service with horses and carts that were changed at regular staging posts – and by the 17th century it was possible to travel in comfort with some of the many ‘carters’ who acted as travel agents and provided transport, accommodation and food on the road to Santiago. The pilgrimage has always been a commercial venture with taxes collected to maintain roads and bridges, vendors providing goods and souvenirs, locals offering accommodation, ‘tour guides’ offering safe passage to groups. Nothing of this is new in the 20th century!

Robert Plotz also writes: “In far greater numbers than before a new type of ‘noble pilgrim’ for who pilgrimage was an agreeable way of passing the time and a last courtly adventure made its appearance.”
A von Harff: “The Saxon Duke, Henry - later called Henry the Devout - was certainly not attending to his religious needs on his journey to Santiago. Two of his companions reported that “gourmandising was our best prayer and indulgence on such a journey. And how are we to judge or condemn the pilgrim who artlessly tells us how to say ‘pretty maid, come sleep with me’ in the Basque language.

There has always been a melting pot of pilgrim people on the road to Santiago: the good, the bad, and the evil, self-righteous and impious, intolerant and indulgent, mendicant and wealthy, peripatetic travellers and ‘carters’.
There is no ‘one right way’ to do a pilgrimage and nobody is a better pilgrim than the next.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For all those who long for the past I offer one word: dentistry

P J O'Roarke

The economic stimulus seems quite welcome.
The Camino de Santiago slash the 200,000 pilgrims in crisis
RRV / EP
It becomes a lifeline for establishments operating on your route
Pilgrims doing the Camino de Santiago

23/12/2012 17:05
A Jacobean route is not affected by crisis. This year have reached 192,000 pilgrims Santiago de Compostela, eight thousand more than in the previous year. The data, released by the Office of Santiago Peregrino Acollida year, a new record of visitors to the Way. Only Holy Year, was exceeded this figure. At last, in 2010, reached 272,135 pilgrims to Compostela temple. The balance of 2012 places the pilgrimage route as a major tourism assets, not just in Galicia.

Establishments near the road are best circumvent the decline as to occupation. The best known case is that of rural tourism houses l. The lodgings in French or Portuguese route move these months between 80% and 100% occupancy, while the average occupancy in Galicia cottages set around 10%. Hostels 'pirates' The influx of pilgrims has also led to unethical practices on Route Xacobea. In Asturias, for example, several hoteliers denounced the proliferation of illegal shelters.

Similarly, also complained that several owners occupy the people in the street to take them to their hotel. the Department of Tourism of the Regional Government also launched an inspection campaign against illegal lodging rally, held through tracking on web pages and checking the supply of beds establishments. stay the Holy Year The economic impact has not gone unnoticed in the regional government, which seeks alternatives to increase tourist arrivals to Compostela before next year Santo, who will be in 2021. At last, in 2010, hotel occupancy increased 12 percent Galicia and the Hotel Price Index rose by 1.7 percent, compared with a fall of 1.9% in Spain.

Popular Party presented in Parliament a motion law presented in the first quarter. The aim of the popular is "to maintain the attractiveness of the route Xacobea as economic and social dynamic", for what it considers "necessary to find ways of attracting travelers" before the next Holy Year.

Investment With this idea, the Galician government has also items intended to strengthen the road infrastructure. The Xeral Secretariat for Tourism of the Regional Government or allocated 615,000 euros this year in a total of 15 projects related to the route. The items were for the repair and rehabilitation of shelters and infrastructure.
As always, the translation is "curious."

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back