• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Camino, just as nice an experience the 2nd time around?

Could walking the camino be just as nice an experience the 2nd time around?

• No, Coelho is right. it's a once in a lifetime thing.

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Yes, but you would have to do a different camino.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, each time is special.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Pualo Coelho said "I never again want to make the pilgrimage on foot", "there are experiences you can only go through once and you either live them or you don't, but they can't be repeated."
(More here: viewtopic.php?t=192)

Could walking the camino be just as nice an experience the 2nd time around?

Any opinions?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think he's half right. It's a mistake to think that going back to something (anything, not just the Camino) will recreate the same experience. Not only has it changed, but you've changed too. The longer ago that experience was, the more it and you will have changed. Other circumstances, especially the weather, are bound to affect your reaction to particular places. Memories are quite often wrong or exaggerated anyway. I found when I rewalked the Camino Frances after a gap of 10 years or so that the route was in places barely recognisable. I hardly saw anyone at all on my 1st trip, there were few refuges, waymarking was patchy - this is completely different nowadays.

On the other hand, if you approach things with an open mind, you will have a new, different experience, meet different people, etc. There's no reason why that can't be as good as, or even better than, the previous trip.

P.S. I did not find that the centre of Santiago itself had changed much. This is backed up by http://gallica.bnf.fr/scripts/Consultat ... O=03300160 which has some photos taken in the early years of the last century. Much of this is easily recognisable, even if fashions have changed somewhat.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
vote from a one time walker

Hi Ivar,

I had the feeling that your poll would get a bit distorted if not someone, who would not walk it for the second time, would react.

So, I am not going to do it for the second time, just because of the reason that Cuelho mentions.

It's just that I loved my first Camino so much that I would like to keep the memories as pure as posible. But this is very personal.

I do think that I would enjoy a second. In general, I would like to walk more long distances and meet people along the way.
For example, I think about walking to my starting point in France for the Camino, but that will be more of a holliday. No prob with that.

Best regards, Hugo

Well, I had a botched pilgrimage in 1993, which gave me the desire to do it "properly". So in 1994 I walked from Paris (where I was living, I actually started from my front door) to Santiago in 1994, and it was a completely different (and far better) experience.

In 2000 I walked from Monaco (where I live) to Rome, again a completely dfferent pilgrimage.

This summer I am planning on walking from Monaco to Santiago and back again, which again will be a completely different pilgrimage.

I think each pilgrim path is different, even when it's the same person, it'll always be taking a different path :)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back