• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino El Camino on a Segway?

gagseymt

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2016
Talking to my colleagues at working and telling them when I retire in 18 months time I will be walking El Camino. But their suggestion is I complete it on Segway. Question, has anyone completed El Camino on a Segway?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Another recent thread concerned Segway and the Camino.

Using a Segway would be like using a screwdriver to hammer a nail. Possible, but inefficient and possibly dangerous for you and other pilgrims.

Steps, loose rock and gravel, mud (and ice/snow at some times and places) ...

Before you commit and spend money to make it happen, take a Segway on a multi-day hike over varied terrain and surfaces and do some research online as to access to electricity to recharge and municipal roads for otherwise impassable segments of the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Recharging may be a problem. The segways I lead people on last about 3 hours on mostly flat terrain.

Talking to my colleagues at working and telling them when I retire in 18 months time I will be walking El Camino. But their suggestion is I complete it on Segway. Question, has anyone completed El Camino on a Segway?

That would be a great adventure.

But right now only humorous visions come to my mind. Excuse me for the whimsical. :)
Refit the Segway with a Half-track suspension and drive gear before using it.
Use rubber cover on your helmet, so the constant clicking will not disturb the other peregrinos.
Don't forget the bell, and use if passing walkers.
Most likely beer and wine with lunch is not advisable.
Finally, attach several Go-Pros; it will be Epic!

Excuse me, just a little attempt at humor. Like leaningforward says, it might be possible but planning will be important. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The last time you had a desire to do something that could possibly become a significant life's accomplishment, or a dream completed. Did you consult with your colleagues as to the best Way to approach it? For whatever reason, the Camino calls. Listen!

I think a Segway is perfectly acceptable as long as you also use two walking poles, Goretex lined hiking boots, an Osprey backpack and an Altus poncho. Oh, I forgot the Vaseline! Apply it thickly to the palms of your hands so you don't get blisters.

You'll miss out on so much of the amazing experiences possible if you choose not to walk, but then it depends on why you want to do it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think a Segway is perfectly acceptable as long as you also use two walking poles, Goretex lined hiking boots, an Osprey backpack and an Altus poncho. Oh, I forgot the Vaseline! Apply it thickly to the palms of your hands so you don't get blisters.
Kanga.... I have read on the forums that Vaseline is out and Lanacane Anti Chafing Gel is the way to go these days!

Ellie

Kanga.... I have read on the forums that Vaseline is out and Lanacane Anti Chafing Gel is the way to go these days!

Ellie

Love it. I'm very tempted to start a new fad. Not that I'm immune - I do have a Macabi skirt and a Camino buff....

Segways would really struggle with obstacles like stepping stones. Pogo sticks on the other hand...well, I could sit and watch that all day!

As a motorised vehicle I assume it would be considered akin to a motorbike and rule out staying in albergues, getting a Compostela etc. On the plus side, you could easily pay for hotels by charging pilgrims to have a go on it in the evening.

All in all I reckon a customised version that you could pull like a barrow across rough terrain (with your rucksack on it) and ride on the flat would be the way forward. ;-)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi it seems, at this stage, that you're just enquiring if, to our collective knowledge, anyone has every 'segwayed' along the Camino Frances and not that you're committed to doing it!
Well all I can say is that I've never seen a segwaying or indeed rollerblading or skateboarding pilgrim en route on any of my pilgrimages…..so far anyway.
Does anyone else think that perhaps a parked Segway and a group of knackered & footsore pilgrims might provide an 'occasion of sin'? I know I've been a whisker away from 'borrowing' a grazing horse/donkey heck even a fit looking cow but just didn't have sugar cube or an apple to hand.

Don't know about the Frances, but when we were walking the Voie de Arles beside the Canal du Midi, we did accept a short ride on a canal boat....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I saw a guy walking with a skateboard strapped on his pack. I guess he used it when on paved surfaces. Not a bad idea, if one can skateboard without doing oneself harm (in other words, not for me). :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have to say when I saw this topic I thought are you serious? On mountains, hills, gravel, rocks, mud, water, slate, fields, sidewalk, blacktop, ...
There is a model built for just such traveling! The problem is that it has distance constraints that will require recharging during the day, or a spare battery. Using a Segway will be like using a donkey; you have to do it at the convenience of the conveyance.;)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

ahahahahahahahahahaha ;-) love it. <3

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On a practical note, are motorized vehicles permitted on the camino?
Yes, for the most part. There are a few signs in forested areas prohibiting off-road vehicles. Like bicycles, there are parts where a Segway should stick to the road.

I have to ask : What kind of motorised vehicles are we talking about ?
And just a thought, but a Segway fitted with a hovercraft component for the rough spots might work....and a jet pack for those boring stretches :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Plenty of pictures here (I don't want to infringe copyright by posting them).
http://www.segway.com/
The inventor of the Segway lived in my home county of Yorkshire and tragically died by driving one off a cliff into the River Wharfe.

AND start at St Jean ... but remember not to lean backwards :cool::D

That's sad, Tyrek- did he take it on the dales to try out rough terrain when he was working on the prototype? I have family in Harrogate.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Plenty of pictures here (I don't want to infringe copyright by posting them).
http://www.segway.com/
The inventor of the Segway lived in my home county of Yorkshire and tragically died by driving one off a cliff into the River Wharfe.

I may be wrong but I think the inventor was Dean Kamen, who is still alive. The man who died was Jimi Heselden, a philanthropist and millionaire, who had purchase the Segway company just before his death.

Kanga, you're right. I got my Segways facts mixed up. In any case, he was a very well off man, but very generous with his money.
He wasn't on particularly rough terrain, apparently. It was on an established but narrow walking path by the river. They think he was manoeuvring it to allow a walker past.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back