• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Camino-sola en marzo- cuales desvios valen la pena?

kait000

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte (2017)
Saludos peregrin@s!!!

Tengo pensado empezar el camino del norte desde Irun la ultima semana de febrero - No tengo tiempo para planearlo / investigar los albergues etc pero no creo q hace falta ; ) mi plan es llegar al primer pueblo y empezar a caminar no mas .. tengo el vuelo desde santiago a casa el 30 de marzo.

. Voy sola y con mi carpa (supongo que la infraestructura en esta epoca no esta a full) y os pregunto si debo llevar la cocinilla tambien? (Todo mi equipo es 'ultralight' de alpinistas; estoy acostumbrada caminar con peso y no me complica llevarlo)
. He visto que hay varios desvios y opciones de incluir otros pueblos o sitios historicos, en esto pido ayuda al grupo. Por favor avisen cuales son los que no debo perder : )

Muchisimas gracias y buen camino a tod@s!!!

Moderator translation:
Greetings peregrin @ s !!!

I plan to start the north road from Irun the last week of February - I do not have time to plan / investigate the hostels etc but I do not think it is necessary; ) My plan is to get to the first town and start walking no more .. I have the flight from santiago to home on March 30th.

. I go alone and with my tent (I suppose that the infrastructure in this time is not to full) and I ask you if I must take the cooker too? (All my equipment is 'ultralight' of climbers, I am used to walking with weight and I do not complicate taking it)
. I have seen that there are several deviations and options to include other peoples or historical sites, in this I ask for help to the group. Please advise which ones I should not miss:)

Thank you very much and good way to all!

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will not offer advice on whether to bring your stove. However previously someone asked a question about how easy it would be to buy fuel along the camino. I wrote a detailed explanation about the types of gas canisters available to ensure that someone walking the camino would have the right type of stove to match the available fuel and, if not, what converters would be needed.

The thread is at https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/buying-camper-stove-fuel-on-the-trail.42513/

My best reply is on the same thread here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...er-stove-fuel-on-the-trail.42513/#post-435047

This time of the year is usually the raining season , I suppose you are aware of that because you are going to need some kind of Goretex boots, jacket , and trousers,or a good poncho .
The temperature usually is not very cold at seaside but could be on mountain !
The albergues would be most of them closed,( but you can go to other pension ,hostal or similar. The north is very beautiful with many villages an cities worth seeing,( specially on Basque Country,Cantabria and Asturias).
Food is also very good quality.
Don't miss Donosti( San Sebastián),especially the old part with many tavern , good for pintxos or tapas!
Enjoy and Buen Camino!

Pd . You will meet very few pilgrims,( because this route is more used in summer time!

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back