• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El camino starting 18 Aug

Charlie88

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk the Portugese Way in August 2015
Hi,

This is my first camino and I am arriving in Porto on the 18th of August. I've got a couple of questions and would appreciate any advice!

My info:
A. Arrive in Porto on the 18th Aug.
B. Have 8 days o get to Santiago de Compestella by the 26 Aug (9 walking days including the 18 and 26th as walking days but would like to keep one up my sleeve).
C. 27 years old

Questions:
1. If I have 8 days of walking (keeping a 9th day spare to have in Santiago de Compestella) where would be the best place to start? Would it be best to start the walk from Ponte de Lima or would you recommend starting from Valenca? I'm less concerned about the distances but rather not rushing, finding the right path, meeting other travelers and having time to enjoy it.

2. Has anyone send their bags ahead from Porto to Santiago de Compestella? Was it a straight forward process or would you recommend sending it by mail to the final destination? Any recommendations on which company to use?

3. I've read on the forum that a lot of people recommend not travelling in August. Is this just because its busy? Or is there something else.....drop bear season?

4. What do I do if accommodation is hard to come by? I've read of people sleeping in fire stations and barns....but do they have a way of signalling if they are pilgrim friendly?

5. I've only got a goose-down sleeping bag.....is it worth investing in something more appropriate for summer or have you found goose down to be ok? (Also in consideration that I may need to sleep in a barn)

6. Is anyone else leaving Ponte de Lima or Valenca on either the 18th or 19th of Aug?

I've got plenty more questions but might leave it there for now.....

Thanks and hope to see you on the trail!

Cheers

Charlie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome Charlie.
A lot of questions
You will arrive in Porto August 18th.
You could travel to Barcelos
Walk to Casa Fernanda. Reservation on before hand advised
From there to Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima to Rubiaës. A great off road walk over the Labruja mountain
Rubiaës to Valença do Minho or Tui
From there to O Porriño
O Porriño to (I prefer) Cessantes instead of Redondela. Stay at Refuxio de Jerézana highly recommended instead of the municipal albergue in Redondela)
Cessantes to Pontevedra
Pontevedra Caldas de Reis
Caldas de Reis to Padrón
Padrón to Santiago.

9 days great walk

Tuitrans is providing backpack servicees. In the albergues are forms to fill in together with an enveloppe for the money and they forward your luggage to the next stop. On this forum by using the searchbox you will find a link to Tuitrans.

At this time as I read on the Portugues news are big fires going on in the north of Portugal but as far as I could see it more effects the coastal route

I can't tell you how busy it is in August but the bussiest you will find the trail from Tui as being the last 106 kms Lots of Spaniards walk that distance from there due to obtaining a Compostela certificate and it is their holiday month.

As far as I am concerned only some the Bombeiros Volontarios south of Porto give shelter to pilgrims. I once stayed with them in Tomar. North of Porto I never have heard about it. in Spain you can not sleep at the Bomberos (firefighters)
On the Portugese route are lots of albergues and privat rooms,hotels ,hostals etc but here again. It is holiday time. But if you walk the central route as mentioned in above post I think you allways find a place somewhere. Try to book your places on beforehand. John Brierleys guide supplies all the phonenumbers.

My wife and I walked three times to Santiago in May and only used a silk sleepingliner. Once it was cold so we slept in our fleece vests . No bother.

Bom caminho

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
[...] I can't tell you how busy it is in August but the bussiest you will find the trail from Tui as being the last 106 kms Lots of Spaniards walk that distance from there due to obtaining a Compostela certificate and it is their holiday month.[...]
When last year, compared to 2013, the numbers who started from Tui had increased by 22%, this year they exceeded already 24%.:D It is likely that during this month of August, about 4'000 people will be registering at the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago who have started from Tui. Also the pilgrims who started from Ponte de Lima and Valença, compared to last year, are already increasing substantially.
Not to panick though, because in the larger towns accommodations of various choices are amply available.:)

When last year, compared to 2013, the numbers who started from Tui had increased by 22%, this year they exceeded already 24%.:D It is likely that during this month of August, about 4'000 people will be registering at the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago who have started from Tui. Also the pilgrims who started from Ponte de Lima and Valença, compared to last year, are already increasing substantially.
Not to panick though, because in the larger towns accommodations of various choices are amply available.:)
Adriaan, the number of peregrinos is increasing because we give so much attention to th CP on this forum.
What was the proverb in our common Dutch language again ?
" Zien doet eten". Free translated(sorry English native speakers if it sounds a bit weird ) such as " if you see somebody else eating, you like to eat too !

Houdoe from this side of the world

Last edited:
[...]" Zien doet eten". Free translated(sorry English native speakers if it sounds a bit weird ) such as " if you see somebody else eating, you like to eat too !
Talking about eating: "An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup."
Groetjes van deze kant !;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
hi.
1. I'd advise to start in Barcelos. You can take a train from Porto.
Barcelos - get to the Bom Jesus da Cruz Church in the center of town for the first stamp on your camino.
Vitorino dos Piães - arrive at Casa da Fernanda, call ahead to make reservation.
Rubiães - it is a long day over the Labruja hill
Tui - short day to rest, more time to see Valença fortification and Tui old town.
Redondela - another long day, avoid the industrial area in Porrino.
Pontevedra - short day to recover, more time to see Pontevedra which is a big city.
Caldas de Rei - not a long day, but you can rest your feet in the thermal fountain in town.
Padron (or Herbon) - try the pimentos and go to the church near the albergue for a good view.
Santiago

To enjoy talking with other walkers, everyone says Casa de Fernanda is one not to miss. Starting in Ponte de Lima means having the Labruja hill right in the first day, it might be a shock to the system...

3. Its vacation month, so more pilgrims on the camino.
4. There are some private albergues, these will be more expensive, but still less than hostals, pensiones or hotels. You can ask in the albergue what alternatives they suggest. Sometimes you can walk 5km more and find another public albergue. I've arrive in Porrino to find the albergue full, asked about the following albergue, they called, also full. They let me stay on the floor.

5. What is the temp rating on the bag. Rooms full of pilgrims tend to get very warm on the summer. A down bag might be overkill, some people use just a bag liner. I've used a 15ºC light and compact bag and was very happy with it. Cheap and with a full zip you can almost make it as a simple cover to reduce warmth.

All the best, any doubts we are here.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back