• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Gran Caminante /The Great Westward Walk

• Thread starter Former member 49149
  • Start date
F

Former member 49149

If this is not in the correct section, let it be re-routed.

www.feadulta.com/es/buscadoravanzado/item/2024-antxon-el-gran-caminante.html
The above is a link to a review in Spanish of the book which has been translated by Rebekah. I am going to get both of them, as I would love to read the original, but I am also keen to see how Rebekah has dealt with the translation. I know a very little about translating and appreciate that it is a talent, a skill honed by a search for the translation of the meaning, not always the words. Rebekah's account of being persuaded to translate the book has caught my interest and I look forward to reading it. I will eventually comment, when I have read both!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If this is not in the correct section, let it be re-routed.

www.feadulta.com/es/buscadoravanzado/item/2024-antxon-el-gran-caminante.html
The above is a link to a review in Spanish of the book which has been translated by Rebekah. I am going to get both of them, as I would love to read the original, but I am also keen to see how Rebekah has dealt with the translation. I know a very little about translating and appreciate that it is a talent, a skill honed by a search for the translation of the meaning, not always the words. Rebekah's account of being persuaded to translate the book has caught my interest and I look forward to reading it. I will eventually comment, when I have read both!
Hi, do you know a retailer that stocks the original version? I looked it up on Amazon and the price was sky high.

Hi, do you know a retailer that stocks the original version? I looked it up on Amazon and the price was sky high.
I have just sent off an email to a company called Troa, to check if they have a copy, and if they will post it to me as I do not live in Spain. They quote €20.80. I imagine they will charge postage. I will let you know what they say. The first link went nowhere, and yes, we would need to take out a loan for the Amazon copy!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Read and loved the book - Highly recommended! Buen Camino, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have just sent off an email to a company called Troa, to check if they have a copy, and if they will post it to me as I do not live in Spain. They quote €20.80. I imagine they will charge postage. I will let you know what they say. The first link went nowhere, and yes, we would need to take out a loan for the Amazon copy!
Troa do not have it in stock. Rebekah posted the following information, so let's hope for success: Retail available at the bookshop in Sarria and also at www.couceirolibrerias.com/ in Plaza Cervantes in Santiago de Compostela. They have both English and Spanish versions.
Buen Camino.

I have had no luck yet but will have to leave it till next week as have visitors at the moment.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Satirico, do you speak Spanish? I have been in touch with the author's father. I am busy with a visitor till tomorrow afternoon, but then I am going to connect with him, and he will arrange for a copy to be sent to me, cost €20, though that is not the most important part of the business at all. The point is this, if you want, I can send you his email address, as he will be meeting the publisher on Tuesday. If this does not catch your attention before Tuesday, I think it will be still ok for you to contact him and he will make sure you get a copy. What I like about something I saw a few days ago, the cost of the book is for the family, his wife and children... You can pm me if you want to follow this through. Regards, and hopeful...

I've just a few minutes ago finished reading this book. The English version.

If there's anyone in the UK who wants it, PM me your details and I'll post it to you.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've just a few minutes ago finished reading this book.

If there's anyone in the UK who wants it, PM me your details and I'll post it to you.

Buen Camino
John, very nice of you. My copy is on its way to me, so someone who can cope with the Spanish language will be delighted with your offer. I am looking forward to reading it, side by side with the translation. I read a review by someone I had met many years ago, and that got me interested in reading the book. What did you think of it? I love reading accounts of people's experiences and reactions to the Camino. Lately, I have chosen extra-curricular courses for the winter, but this year I think I will dedicate that time to reading, otherwise the books will be there after I am gone!

John, very nice of you. My copy is on its way to me, so someone who can cope with the Spanish language will be delighted with your offer. I am looking forward to reading it, side by side with the translation. I read a review by someone I had met many years ago, and that got me interested in reading the book. What did you think of it? I love reading accounts of people's experiences and reactions to the Camino. Lately, I have chosen extra-curricular courses for the winter, but this year I think I will dedicate that time to reading, otherwise the books will be there after I am gone!

I've just edited my post to say it's the English version. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
An update on The Great Westward Walk. I would like to congratulate Rebekah for her translation of the original, El Gran Caminante. I say that from having read the English version, and some of the original.(I will finish that, asap).The point is, there is such passion and energy in the book, and Rebekah has done a wonderful job of interpreting it. As one year ebbs into another, it is salutary to think of those whose breath and energy and contribution have been transformed... yes, transformed. While not still recognisable in our terms, their intangible presence is still around. So I am thankful to Antxon for his vitality, his quest, his gift to us of his quirky point of view, and to Rebekah for being the conduit for so many who cannot capture the original... Happy New Year, already for those ahead of my time zone, and later on for those behind...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.