• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Molino - Hornillos del Camino

angelab

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances June (2017)
Is El Molino worth the extra time it takes for them to pick you up & drop you back in Hornillos next morning? I've been told by friends that I shouldn't miss it. Anyone else experienced it recently? Thanks :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Angela,
I'm going out on a limb here but I'm going to offer a different perspective.

Unless you are on a strict time schedule, e.g. You have to be at the airport on a specific day in the near future, then why not go to El Molino on a whim and see if it matches your interests.
Personally, I always found something to appreciate about places I wandered off to. Sometimes it was just getting off the beaten path for a day.

Efforts to optimize my Camino experience always seemed to leave me with a feeling of "But what if I had chosen option B?"

All that said, I don't know your circumstances or time schedule so take this advice with a shaker if salt (and a margarita of course!)

Buen Camino,

- jgp

Angela,
I'm going out on a limb here but I'm going to offer a different perspective.

Unless you are on a strict time schedule, e.g. You have to be at the airport on a specific day in the near future, then why not go to El Molino on a whim and see if it matches your interests.
Personally, I always found something to appreciate about places I wandered off to. Sometimes it was just getting off the beaten path for a day.

Efforts to optimize my Camino experience always seemed to leave me with a feeling of "But what if I had chosen option B?"

All that said, I don't know your circumstances or time schedule so take this advice with a shaker if salt (and a margarita of course!)

Buen Camino,

- jgp
Thanks so much for your message. I have a good feeling about El Molino. I don't have time limits & no flight booked. xo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm confused ;) I tried to book but they said no because I was on my own. Is that correct?

I'm confused ;) I tried to book but they said no because I was on my own. Is that correct?

Might it be that they had no single room available? Could you reserve a double room?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Possibly. A Spanish guy called them for me but he didn't say why other than can't do just 1 person.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't speak any Spanish unfortunately.

Hi, it’s easy to email in Spanish. Write a very simple query in English:

Please could I reserve one bed for Thursday 19 May?

Go to Googe Translate https://translate.google.com/ and translate the query into Spanish:

Por favor, ¿podría reservar una cama para Jueves, 19 de mayo?

Copy and paste it into an email to the albergue or hostal.

Even if it hasn’t translated accurately, they will understand.

(I also copy and paste the English version into the email at the bottom. If they understand English, and the Spanish version is garbage, they might reply in English!)

If they reply in Spanish, then just go back to Google Translate for the English version.

Easy!

Jill

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Since you are in a Burgos hotel you might ask the concierge/desk clerk to telephone El Molino for you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The hotel called & they won't take a booking for a single person. All good. Will stay elsewhere in Hornillos. Do you know a good private albergue as I understand the municiple is 'crammed'.

Hi Angelab, I stayed at El Molino on night of May 10, 2017, as a single. Wonderful experience! Best food on the Camino!!

Speaking Spanish would be a great asset in your requesting a reservation* and in your communications during your stay at the casa rural (CR). My conversations for the reservation and at the CR were all in Spanish.

Buen Camino, CT

* Brierley 2017 CF guide has the telephone number for El Molino in the information for Hornillos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The hotel called & they won't take a booking for a single person. All good. Will stay elsewhere in Hornillos. Do you know a good private albergue as I understand the municiple is 'crammed'.
You might try the Casa Rural "de sol a sol" in Hornillos. Telephone number is in the 2017 Brierley Guide for the CF. Buen Camino, CT

Hi again, you sent the above message while I was composing my first response so I did not see this one before sending it. It could be that they have some groups there now -- they did appear to cater to couples or small groups when I was there.

Also, see my other note on the CR 'de sol a sol' in "downtown" Hornillos if you can consider Hornillos as having a downtown due to its very small size.

Good Luck and Buen Camino, CT

Thanks for info. Apparently they only have a room for 4. I'll stay in one of the albergues. Spent 3 nights at Cordon Hotel in Burgos and blew my budget :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is El Molino worth the extra time it takes for them to pick you up & drop you back in Hornillos next morning? I've been told by friends that I shouldn't miss it. Anyone else experienced it recently? Thanks :)
I had the opportunity to stay at the Sol a Sol where the owner speaks perfect english -- he also owns El Molino which I believe his dad hosts. Either place is great... I slept at Sol a Sol but - the guy gave me a lift and dropped others off at the Molino and... wow. I wanted to cry and die right there.... it was absolute PARADISE. As I thought it, he turned to me and said, "Isn't this paradise?" It was a crazy moment. If you have a chance at Sol a Sol, you'll see an autographed poster... there is an amazing story behind it and I am not sure if he wants it public or not but... ask him about the poster :)

(the molino has ducks and cats and amazing trees and a river running under the building and did I mention the amazing trees and the absolute FREAKIN' paradise?) I wouldn't go to book this far in advance but - when you are there and maybe 2 days out, call and book... you can't go wrong with either of them :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How does one contact El Moloino? I tried the website suggested above and got this message:

Toprural is now called Vrbo​

Check out this reference
The blue text is a hot link

El Molino de Vilviestre de Muño
Vilviestre M, 5, 09230, Burgos, Spain

+34 947 56 03 02

https://g.co/kgs/Yd8bgZ

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back