• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Niño weather on the Camino del Norte

Old Koot

Time of past OR future Camino
(09/2013)
It seems that according to a recent article in the Economist magazine, <http://tinyurl.com/p58zk5w > "A new El Niño is now brewing" in the southern Pacific Ocean latitudes and currently inflicting strong winds and serious rainfalls, along with some loss of life, on the west coasts of North and South America.

How might the El Niño afftect the north coast of Spain this September and October?

Is there any information of the weather on the the Camino del Norte from 1997-1998 winter?

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are two predominant suggestions. The first, that local conditions dwarf the effect of El Nino; whilst the second is that it should lead to milder, wetter winters in Southern Europe and the Mediterranean.

I am starting from Irun on 10 September. I am packing good raingear. :)

Alex

El Niño is the weather pattern for the Pacific Ocean affecting asia the west coast of the Americas. For the Atlantic and Spain the weather pattern is driven by the Gulf stream.

That said, it is said that it usually have an opposite effect on the Altantic and you should have a drier weather.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Personally, I'm going to check the weather forecasts as close to our arrival date as possible, but whatever the prediction, I am taking good raingear because there can be a lot of variation within the several weeks that one needs to complete Camino Norte. The only Camino trails that we have been on where we did not use our raingear were the ones from Porto, Portugal and Granada, Spain and that could vary according to season and year. (It was flooded near Granada from heavy rains just before we started out).

A forum poster ( Diego 92),said in a response last year about the Portuguese route and walking it in winter that it would be a warmer winter because of the El Nino effect, which is what happened, I was on the Frances in early January and it was quite nice. However because I am provisionally going back this December I have kept a look out for the reports ,yes the El Nino effect is in operation again but I have seen several reports suggesting that it could be a very cold winter, which is what I am preparing for.
On the Norte it might not mean there will be snow but it can still get very cold and wet. Snow might be a problem if you turn off on to the Primitivo or when you turn into the Interior of Galicia.

IMO, worrying or trying to predict the weather is futile. Even the so called professionals have a difficult time a day or two in advance. Plan for the worst and be pleasantly surprised with good weather.

Ultreya,
Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For whatever this is worth, I am starting my Camino del Norte on September 16 from Irun. I tend to get lost easily, hopefully I will find some good souls along the Way to tag along with AND help me stay on the right path! I plan to do the entire Camino del Norte, hopefully the weather will be clement for us pilgrims. I did the Camino Frances in the fall of 2011 and I recall many wet days by the end of October /early November in Galicia. In fact when I arrived in Santiago on November 3, 2011, it was raining buckets with cold gales of wind to boot. I suspect this year might possibly be the same. So I am packing my trusty rain gear (rain jacket and rain pants) AND a sleeping bag. I recall staying in a couple of unheated pensiones that were COLD in late October. The sleeping bag came in very handy. Highly recommended!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back