• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Norte completed

Colette Z

Happy Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
CF; Norte; Ingles; Augustine; Portugues Central
I arrived in Santiago yesterday in pouring rain after 38 days from Irun and a tracked 949.9km (measured from leaving the albergue each morning to arriving in the evening, excluding other “walking”). It was much more emotional than arriving my first time last year after competing El Frances. The evening pilgrim mass was quieter as few tourists were present and they did perform the butafumeiro.

So confusing opinions still exist around the “2 stamps per day the last 100km” among the pilgrims office volunteers. Last year it was explained that only pilgrims walking JUST the last 100km need 2 stamps/day. Now they said everyone needs 2 stamps/day the last 100 no matter where you start. So the credential that I obtained here from IVAR would not have held that many stamps (I didn’t get 2/day last 100 but the volunteer said she’d give me my Compostela).

So next camino (?) I’ll get 2/day the last 100.

Now 2 “wet” days to spend in Santiago before heading home to Slovakia.....any suggestions?

Attachments

• 9F3D1814-38D6-4C67-A643-5342A1483D21.jpeg
    9F3D1814-38D6-4C67-A643-5342A1483D21.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 41
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Congratulations on your Camino. I will be starting in Irun in September. Any Albergues or monasteries that they loved or think I should avoid. I am on a budget and will be staying in municipals and donativos as much as I can. Thanks

Congratulations on a great journey, Colette. I'll leave suggestions for the next two days to those who know the area. But whatever you do, I wish you sunny weather. And no mud!
Hello Bala
Just curious but why would you leave suggestions only to those who know the area?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Congratulations on completing this Camino! I would love to read your reflections on how different this Camino was compared to the Frances. We are planning on walking el Norte next year, and have conflicting emotions. After such a life changing experience on the CF, we want to be prepared for something different.

I arrived in Santiago yesterday in pouring rain after 38 days from Irun and a tracked 949.9km (measured from leaving the albergue each morning to arriving in the evening, excluding other “walking”). It was much more emotional than arriving my first time last year after competing El Frances. The evening pilgrim mass was quieter as few tourists were present and they did perform the butafumeiro.

So confusing opinions still exist around the “2 stamps per day the last 100km” among the pilgrims office volunteers. Last year it was explained that only pilgrims walking JUST the last 100km need 2 stamps/day. Now they said everyone needs 2 stamps/day the last 100 no matter where you start. So the credential that I obtained here from IVAR would not have held that many stamps (I didn’t get 2/day last 100 but the volunteer said she’d give me my Compostela).

So next camino (?) I’ll get 2/day the last 100.

Now 2 “wet” days to spend in Santiago before heading home to Slovakia.....any suggestions?
Hi Collette. Congratulations on completing el Norte. I hope to be completing in Sept. I didn't think about the 2 stamps per day for the last 100 km and this is useful to know as I will have to bring another Pilgrim passport. I only have 9 spaces left and on my next Camino I will be walking from Ribadeo to Santiago. Enjoy your last 2 days. Shame about the rain x

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Congratulations Colette!

I'm becoming convinced the Norte will be my next camino, can't wait.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Congratulations on your Camino. I will be starting in Irun in September. Any Albergues or monasteries that they loved or think I should avoid. I am on a budget and will be staying in municipals and donativos as much as I can. Thanks

I have the means to stay in private albergues but stayed mostly municipal and always parochial when available. My pilgrimage is a deeper experience when I am in community with other Pilgrims despite the inconveniences (noise, shared bathrooms, colder conditions, etc). The Ziortza, Valdedios (detour to Primitivo) and Sobrado dos Monxes are 3 monasteries not to miss. I had only favourable experiences at the municipals vs others but I travel with “minimal or no” expectations. The Italian co-fraternity run Deba old train station albergue was nice but zero kitchen or even kettle to prepare a tea. The hospitalero Roberto at Pola de Siero (on Primitivo) was fantastic. Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have the means to stay in private albergues but stayed mostly municipal and always parochial when available. My pilgrimage is a deeper experience when I am in community with other Pilgrims despite the inconveniences (noise, shared bathrooms, colder conditions, etc). The Ziortza, Valdedios (detour to Primitivo) and Sobrado dos Monxes are 3 monasteries not to miss. I had only favourable experiences at the municipals vs others but I travel with “minimal or no” expectations. The Italian co-fraternity run Deba old train station albergue was nice but zero kitchen or even kettle to prepare a tea. The hospitalero Roberto at Pola de Siero (on Primitivo) was fantastic. Buen Camino.
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I agree 100% about a richer experience in Municipals and Donativos. All I hope for is clean.
Kitchens are great too. Help a lot and have fun times shopping and cooking with new Pilgrim friends. I haven’t decided yet but I probably will not veer off to Primitivo. I don’t know why but I like to finish the Camino I start. I have heard and seen photos of Deba and it looks cool and I have read it is a clean and nice Muni even without a kitchen.
Can’t wait to start! Any other suggestions from all is really appreciated! Gracias Buen Camino en vida.

Oh Peter I will miss you by a few days... I should arrive in Santiago on the 7th May... all being well :)
Hi Colleen, I leave Santiago very early on the 7th.
It's to bad that I miss you , would be nice to meet you again . Can't win them all. ;)
During my stay in Santiago I will meet several forum members , looking forward to that.
Is your "bus ride " to Leon coming together or is it still one bus a day?

Wish you well Colleen .

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I agree 100% about a richer experience in Municipals and Donativos. All I hope for is clean.
Kitchens are great too. Help a lot and have fun times shopping and cooking with new Pilgrim friends. I haven’t decided yet but I probably will not veer off to Primitivo. I don’t know why but I like to finish the Camino I start. I have heard and seen photos of Deba and it looks cool and I have read it is a clean and nice Muni even without a kitchen.
Can’t wait to start! Any other suggestions from all is really appreciated! Gracias Buen Camino en vida.
I will be there in about 12day’s.

Buen Camino !

All albergues were clean. No bedbugs despite some pilgrims claims. I found that cooking more than a soup with bread was too much after a long 25-30km day, especially when the stages involved a lot of climbing with nothing from morning till end of day (ie no villages, no bars, just forest,) either no energy to shop or look for an open store or bar to eat in. Waiting to eat till 9pm as restaurant kitchens reopen at 8:30pm (closed at 4) was too late for me, I was in bed by 8-9pm. The only municipal that was not pleasant was in Santander, a bit of a strange make hospitalero and I was alone that night but all ok.

Hi Colette
I was in the Cathedral yesterday and it was wonderful to see the Botafumerio swing back and forth. I was in tears, it was a very moving moment. I understood part of what the priest said in Spanish about the pilgrims and their motivation for walking the Camino and it was so great to understand it. And the very sweet nun who sang so beautiful, it was so touching.
I think you would enjoy going to the Pilgrim House and talk to them about your Camino. It is a lovely place!
All the best to you.

Buen Camino !

All albergues were clean. No bedbugs despite some pilgrims claims. I found that cooking more than a soup with bread was too much after a long 25-30km day, especially when the stages involved a lot of climbing with nothing from morning till end of day (ie no villages, no bars, just forest,) either no energy to shop or look for an open store or bar to eat in. Waiting to eat till 9pm as restaurant kitchens reopen at 8:30pm (closed at 4) was too late for me, I was in bed by 8-9pm. The only municipal that was not pleasant was in Santander, a bit of a strange make hospitalero and I was alone that night but all ok.
I ‘am not walking this time , I’am volunteering in the huiskamer der lage landen first floor at the Pilgrimsoffice .

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Colette
I was in the Cathedral yesterday and it was wonderful to see the Botafumerio swing back and forth. I was in tears, it was a very moving moment. I understood part of what the priest said in Spanish about the pilgrims and their motivation for walking the Camino and it was so great to understand it. And the very sweet nun who sang so beautiful, it was so touching.
I think you would enjoy going to the Pilgrim House and talk to them about your Camino. It is a lovely place!
All the best to you.

We were likely in the same mass. Last year I sat right on the aisle were the botafumeiro swung by. My Camino feelings are something I cherish and guard closely especially in the early post Camino days. I start to feel a deep “shift” inside once home. I can’t imagine talking about my experience so early but that’s just me.

Many congratulations to you Colette - what a journey. It is one I will make someday too, but this summer will be the Primitivo. Have a good time in Santiago!

Congratulations on your Camino! I was planning on doing Camino Frances in September but now need to go in July instead. Thinking I will do north route instead. Did you find the north way much harder? Which way did you like better?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Congratulations on your Camino! I was planning on doing Camino Frances in September but now need to go in July instead. Thinking I will do north route instead. Did you find the north way much harder? Which way did you like better?

Yes El Norte is physically demanding lots of climbing and well I had tons of rain and high winds but I love climbing and remoteness. Norte vs Frances are 100% different you need to experience both. Also for me too much road walking on El Norte and I took 90% alternate coastal routes possible, that’s my only negative about El Norte. Buen camino.

Collette = Thank you for this information. It will be helpful for me to adjust my training for the norte.

I'm also thinking of walking the Norte in July. I walked the Frances last year in July/August, and 2016 in August/September. I'm interested in hearing from others who have actually walked the Norte in July.

Colette: the road walking is all over the Camino or before/after the Primitivo exit. Thanks.
? Not sure I understand your comment.

Sorry not to reply about accommodations. I choose to stay in municipal Albergues and monasteries as much as possible for the pilgrim interaction (good and not so good at times which teaches me tolerance). I stayed all alone more than once as the Norte was quiet early March. I would not stay at the Pilgrims albergue in Santander again (private but €10) kitchen almost useless, very few bathroom/shower and many bunks.....I was the only pilgrim plus the male hospitalero and didn’t feel comfortable. Although the Ziortiz monastery is worthwhile don’t expect much in he way of supper or breakfast (its donativo); Valdedios Monastery with Carmelite nuns 6€ (its on the first part to Oviedo which I took to avoid a Gijon then back to Avilés) is nice but super cold and kitchen is very minimally supplied no stores at all so if you will cook you must arrive with your supplies but big place super quiet beautiful mountain location and the young nun hospitalera was super nice. Stay also at the Sobrados dos Monxes monastery. In Guermes go,to El Tio Pueto (?) with Father Ernesto. Municipal Albergues were pretty clean and I can recommend all. If not donstivo then it’s 6€ to sleep. Given coffee and toast costs 3.50-4.50€ at times a 10€ albergue w breakfast was worth it. I slept 41 nights total, total cost accommodation 458€ (included municipals, monasteries, private Albergues and cheaper hotels when starting or if no Albergues like Ribasedella, Comillas, then Santiago. I’d say if you go,early Fall your budget to,sleep would be less than my total. I’d be happy to,message you a list of where I stayed if it helps but in March very few municipal were open so I had to stay at more private places. Buen camino

Last edited:
Colette: the road walking is all over the Camino or before/after the Primitivo exit. Thanks.

Are you asking me where the road walking is? It’s both before and after the Primitivo exit. I did detour to Oviedo then back to Avilés to avoid walking to Gijon as they say it’s all industrial. And despite me taking almost all alternate/variant routes I still consider there was too much road (asphalt) walking for my personal taste. I can clarify more if you like.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are you asking me where the road walking is? It’s both before and after the Primitivo exit. I did detour to Oviedo then back to Avilés to avoid walking to Gijon as they say it’s all industrial. And despite me taking almost all alternate/variant routes I still consider there was too much road (asphalt) walking for my personal taste. I can clarify more if you like.

Thanks, and thank you for your response to my very unclear post.

I am doing the Norte/Primitivo, so I was hoping that most of the road walk was after the split.
So I will take all the alternates/variant routes and then go to the Primitivo.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I will join you on the Norte. Hope to be departing Irun on Sept 10 and hope to be in SdC by the 9th of October. (Not sure how that's gonna happen really)

I will join you on the Norte. Hope to be departing Irun on Sept 10 and hope to be in SdC by the 9th of October. (Not sure how that's gonna happen really)

@tillyjones , you'll overtake us. We leave Hendaye/Hondarribia on 2 September, and plan to arrive in SdC on 30 October.
We're slow walkers... :)
We're doing a side trip to Oviedo, opting for alternative coastal walks explained in this forum, and aiming for short stages (average of 15km).
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back