• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

El Norte from Asturias Airport

hamish

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Sanabres
hi pilgrims Jenny and I will be starting from Asturias airport on 31 August. There is a section on the Walking Pilgrim map between soto de Luna and cadaveda going inland via the Sierra de Troncedo. Anyone know this route. Looks like a rural relief from the asphalt coastal route.
Hamish

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm not in favour of this "a-la-carte" approach to route planning - I think that it's much better to stick to variants given in the main guidebooks (such as Cicerone and Rother) - then you can at least be sure that there will be an adequate level of support along the way

I'd be reluctant to walk 25km with very few, if any, shops along the way to provide food or liquid in this case - and I think you'll still be walking along a paved road - but, since the A8 is close to the marked route and takes nearly all the traffic, the old highway is relatively peaceful - and, if you're really worried about too much asphalt, you might try to find softer bits at the side of the road

There is a thread on this subject called ' Soto de Luina to Cavedeo disused alternative' last post 15th Apr, I would give a link but my mobile is not up to it.

The hospitelero at Soto de Luina advises pilgrims not to walk this way, the main reasons that the route is overgrown in parts, the way marking is patchy, and its not a good place to be if bad weather comes along. I followed his advice and went the asphalt way, its quite straightforward, mostly asphalt, shops every now and then. Three pilgrims took the other way by mistake, said it was very hard but just about the most beautiful section they had walked. Saw another blog on here two years ago a couple of English pilgrims went that way, had a very challenging day but said that the scenery and trails made it their best day yet.

Both ways are historical routes, the mountain one is neglected, its called Serra de las Palancas.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm not in favour of this "a-la-carte" approach to route planning -

En este caso, esa es la ruta histórica, entre otras cosas porque era más corta y una vez que subías a la montaña, no había tantas subidas y bajadas. El problema es si han limpiado el camino o no, porque señalizado está. Es normal que el hospitalero no recomiende ir por ese camino, ya que supongo que quiera evitar que alguien se pierda o tenga un accidente en la montaña.

In this case, that is the historic route, not least because it was shorter and once stood on the mountain, there were so many ups and downs. The problem is if they have cleared the way or not, because it is marked. It is normal for hospitalero recommend not to go that route, since I assume you want to prevent someone from being lost or have an accident on the mountain.

Many thanks to Mikevasey and Angulero. If the weather is fair we will take the Serra de las Palancas. Thank you , Mike, for the tip regarding the exit route if the route is too strenuous for one day. Since we do most of our long distance walking in the Scottish Highlands the comparison should an education.
I will report back on the route as I find it and hope to get one or two photos to match Anguleros wonderful pictures.
Buen Camino
Hamish

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Back