• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Norte vs Le Puy

peregrina2000

Staff member
I don't mean to bombard the forum with my posts, because I've posted some similar questions in the LePuy section. But I have about five weeks this year, including travel, and I'm debating between/among the Caminos from Le Puy to Pamplona, Irun to Santiago on the Norte, or the Camino Olvidado from Bilbao.

I've walked both the Norte and Le Puy routes before, but both were in May/June, and they were years ago.

I will be walking in late June/July, and if any of you who have walked the Norte recently can give me some idea on crowds in those months, or any other helpful hints, I would appreciate it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola,

:) Take Irun to Santiago via Primitivo.
If you have not walked Primitivo before you are up for some amazing nature.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

I thought you had walked the Primitivo Laurie. Ah, that view from the top of Puerto de Palo when we walked together and that was shrouded in mist for Terry in 2009.
Seriously, I would vote for the Primitivo and as much of the Norte prior to that as you have time for. Will you be using albergues or mix with some private accomodation. Walking over the Mayday holiday we took to booking a night ahead to ensure a bed so a similar plan might be good if the route is busy. But I would think that it cannot be more so than other routes, especially once away from the coast.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks, guys. Tia, you're right that I've walked the Primitivo, most recently in 2012, so I hadn't put it back on the list yet. I haven't been on the Norte or LePuy in many years, which is why I'm thinking about those routes. But July is a new month for me, and I guess my question is more about July -- for those who have walked in July, in which route do you think I'll find fewer crowds and less need to reserve ahead?

I agree with the enthusiasm about the Primitivo, I love it, but for me the only way to walk the Primitivo is to combine it with the Salvador, so maybe my list should expand to include Burgos to Santiago via the Salvador/primitivo.

Such a lovely muddle to have, and many long dreary gray winter days ahead to muddle through it. All random opinions are welcome. Laurie

If I were you, I would walk the Olvidado. That will be an adventure.
And no crowds, perhaps just another peregrina or two. ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Don't know when I will go yet. Not too early. This spring I went the last weeks of May and had to walk in snow, not fun.
I think the mountains are higher than on the Salvador, so might be snow late there.
Lets wait and see what the weather looks like.:)

There is always the Camino del Mar (Ribadeo to Xubia) and then into Santiago on the Camino Inglés as an option. I think you walk further than us in a day so it is only the last 2 sections that could be a serious challenge re accomodation and food. :) That would cover approx 9 days on the del Mar plus 5 on the Inglés, so time to start elsewhere to get to Ribadeo.........
Does anyone know how busy the coastal section of this might be for Laurie in late June/July? We'll be thought (DV) a bit earlier so won't be able to say.

Thanks, Tia, now I have another camino to put on the list. I look forward to reading your report

Great news -- looks like Susanna and I will walk together from Bilbao on the Camino Olvidado! So now more agonizing over choice of Camino for me, it seems.

Thanks again for the help. Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am a long time fan of the Le Puy route- but have heard it is pretty hot for walking in the south of France in July. Maybe there is more breeze on the Norte then to cool you down a little? Or maybe not...
Margaret

Regarding heat of July...
While not the LePuy, I did walk the Vezelay in July of this year and it was hot! No relief at night as rooms were often shuttered and no fans, not much shade and like the Norte a lot of road walking.
I was on the Norte during June and would choose the breeze of the ocean in July.

Loved the Vezelay trail and hope to walk the LePuy soon.

Hope this helps :)
Bobbie

I don't mean to bombard the forum with my posts, because I've posted some similar questions in the LePuy section. But I have about five weeks this year, including travel, and I'm debating between/among the Caminos from Le Puy to Pamplona, Irun to Santiago on the Norte, or the Camino Olvidado from Bilbao.

I've walked both the Norte and Le Puy routes before, but both were in May/June, and they were years ago.

I will be walking in late June/July, and if any of you who have walked the Norte recently can give me some idea on crowds in those months, or any other helpful hints, I would appreciate it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back